Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

On 09/06/2023 at 16:45, michaelSTFC said:

Left back position will surely be addressed.

Not so sure.

Although he's a better right back Josh Jackman can play there and it was mentioned Munashe Sundire can also play as a full back.

Of course we could always play 3 at the back with 2 wing backs.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Just now, Curtis said:

So, are we likely to see just three more additions?

A goalkeeper, a defender & a striker?

Certainly a goalkeeper and I’m sure through trialists we may see 1 or 2 more sign but we’re not likely to see any more until we’re into the friendlies.

As long as we can get the keeper right, this is looking like an exciting squad.

With quite a few new players the hard part now for Scott is to get them to gel and play as a team and not as individuals. 

We've got plenty of pre season games lined up so hopefully we can get it right by the time ko to the new season comes around.  

44 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

With quite a few new players the hard part now for Scott is to get them to gel and play as a team and not as individuals. 

We've got plenty of pre season games lined up so hopefully we can get it right by the time ko to the new season comes around.  

We should be using Will Dennis as the benchmark when trialing the various goalkeepers this pre-season. We’ve been offered from the same level and age range so hopefully we can get lucky again. Be interesting to see what club Will goes out on loan to next.

Just 3 weeks tomorrow until our first pre season friendly. With 11 games lined up it gives us great scope to try out many different options plus with not just the new players but I’m sure a few A23 plus trialists to run the rule over it’s going to be one hectic pre season!

5 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Just 3 weeks tomorrow until our first pre season friendly. With 11 games lined up it gives us great scope to try out many different options plus with not just the new players but I’m sure a few A23 plus trialists to run the rule over it’s going to be one hectic pre season!

I'd think training will begin the week before the pre season games start, so you're looking at 2 weeks to training

6 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Tyrese Owen has decided to move on. Frustrating one for me as he arrived with a lot of promise and hype but didn’t really deliver. A consistent run of games and he may have shown us his qualities.

Yes just saw that and you could be right or maybe just a level too high for him.

Then again some players don't shine at some clubs and then go to another club and start pulling up trees.

Edited by Reading Rebel

18 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Agree and so far the squad is shaping up nicely and it makes a change that our squad is favouring midfielders, to defenders as in the Bakes/Unders years. The last two signings look quality, and I can't wait to see a good few of Slough's pre-season games now.

With such a high number of new players coming in, pre-season is going to be very important compared to some other years. What's happening about a new coach replacement for Togs? Is Yella going to do this to save a few bob? Just wondering.

Obviously the squad need a few more additions in key positions but the recruitment looks to be going well  for Scott/Slough. Long way to go, of course [in terms of actually playing] but I'm pleased with the acquisitions we've got thus far.   

Edited by 3spirit

7 hours ago, 3spirit said:

Agree and so far the squad is shaping up nicely and it makes a change that our squad is favouring midfielders, to defenders as in the Bakes/Unders years. The last two signings look quality, and I can't wait to see a good few of Slough's pre-season games now.

With such a high number of new players coming in, pre-season is going to be very important compared to some other years. What's happening about a new coach replacement for Togs? Is Yella going to do this to save a few bob? Just wondering.

Obviously the squad need a few more additions in key positions but the recruitment looks to be going well  for Scott/Slough. Long way to go, of course [in terms of actually playing] but I'm pleased with the acquisitions we've got thus far.   

We will be appointing a new coach within the next week. I’ve had many phone calls and meetings to make sure we get the person who is the best fit for the group but also Yella and I. It’s such an important role and one that I won’t rush into.

We have many options and applicants but I want to get it right. So yeah, as you would expect, we are on it! 

On 10/06/2023 at 21:06, Scott Davies said:

We will be appointing a new coach within the next week. I’ve had many phone calls and meetings to make sure we get the person who is the best fit for the group but also Yella and I. It’s such an important role and one that I won’t rush into.

We have many options and applicants but I want to get it right. So yeah, as you would expect, we are on it! 

Thanks for the update,Scott. Sorry for the long time replying, just haven't been online.

Know you're a busy man and not looking to pester you but as I saw your name is on this forum now, just thought I'd ask if the new coach will be a player-coach[like Togs], or someone not going to play?

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Another surprising choice of club for one of our departed is Imran signing for Dover.

I thought he lived around the Slough area.

If so that'll be roughly a 5 hour round trip 2 or 3 times a week with no guarantee of a game.

Surely he could have found somewhere nearer to play than trekking around the M25 to Dover.

Edited by Reading Rebel

22 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Thanks for the update,Scott. Sorry for the long time replying, just haven't been online.

Know you're a busy man and not looking to pester you but as I saw your name is on this forum now, just thought I'd ask if the new coach will be a player-coach[like Togs], or someone not going to play?

I could be wrong 3spirit but I seem to recall when Toggs left Scott said he'll be looking for someone to only do the coaching.

I think Imran’s only 21, and a move to another Step 2 club looks promising for him, that’s just one step from full-time football which if he continues to progress might only be two or three seasons away.

In the meantime, what’s he likely to be getting paid at Dover? If it’s £400+ a week then it’s a good full-time salary for a 21 year old, and might give him a chance to focus entirely on football.