Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

16 minutes ago, Curtis said:

I think Imran’s only 21, and a move to another Step 2 club looks promising for him, that’s just one step from full-time football which if he continues to progress might only be two or three seasons away.

In the meantime, what’s he likely to be getting paid at Dover? If it’s £400+ a week then it’s a good full-time salary for a 21 year old, and might give him a chance to focus entirely on football.

We don’t know where he lives but you would think it’s fairly close to Slough so yes bit of a trek! But you can’t blame him for wanting to test himself at this level and if he’s being honest he’s probably surprised at being given the opportunity too. Plus he may well work so the money side isn’t an issue as long as it covers his petrol! Will be following with interest to see how he fares.

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

We don’t know where he lives but you would think it’s fairly close to Slough so yes bit of a trek! But you can’t blame him for wanting to test himself at this level and if he’s being honest he’s probably surprised at being given the opportunity too. Plus he may well work so the money side isn’t an issue as long as it covers his petrol! Will be following with interest to see how he fares.

From my point of view I think Scott was right to let Imran go, I've nothing against the lad but it didn't happen for him at Slough.

What have Dover got to lose by signing him? To me he looks a typical pre-season signing ie a player to make up the numbers. If Dover can get a few goals and assists from him for the first three months they will be happy.

I could be wrong but I can't see him being a long term signing but I suppose that also depends on what Dover have in terms of finance/wherewithall [quality players] later in the season.

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

From my point of view I think Scott was right to let Imran go, I've nothing against the lad but it didn't happen for him at Slough.

What have Dover got to lose by signing him? To me he looks a typical pre-season signing ie a player to make up the numbers. If Dover can get a few goals and assists from him for the first three months they will be happy.

I could be wrong but I can't see him being a long term signing but I suppose that also depends on what Dover have in terms of finance/wherewithall [quality players] later in the season.

Quite a few Slough supporters on twitter and facebook think Kayani was good enough to still be part of our squad vying for a starting position come August.

TBF to him in the time he spent on the pitch he did score a couple of good goals and always looked lively and energetic without in my view showing that extra bit of quality needed to command a starting place.

Personally I don't think it ever reached the point where he warranted a starting place and at his age I think he needs to have plenty of game time to push on if he's to have a successful career in football.

Whether he'll get that at Dover at his stage of development only time will tell.

The new coach will be announced tomorrow/Wednesday. He won’t play. He’s was an assistant manager in this league for 3 years so comes with good knowledge of the league and what to expect.

Imran lives in Woking. I don’t think Dover are full time any longer. As I’ve said before, Imran has all the potential to go and do well, but he wants to play every single week and that’s becomes difficult to manage so it was a pretty easy decision as I don’t see him as a regular starter.

Jonny Giles lives in central London now.

5 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Hi Scott,

Is there likely to be a goalkeeper announcement in the next week or two, or will you be making a decision on this during pre-season?

Seeing as there will be a few goalkeeper trialists and we’d need to see them play in at least a few friendlies I doubt we won’t decide on our number 1 until 2-3 weeks before the first game.

Solid appointment of Chris Winton as new coach. Bit of a coup to persuade a step 4 manager to ‘step down’ and become our coach. Also welcome back to Jefferson who should be a great mentor to our strikers plus improve our fitness levels. We now have quite a large ‘management’ team with a manager, assistant, coach, fitness, goalkeeper coach and physios. Don’t envy their first training session tonight!

Edited by GlenSTFC

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Solid appointment of Chris Winton as new coach. Bit of a coup to persuade a step 4 manager to ‘step down’ and become our coach. Also welcome back to Jefferson who should be a great mentor to our strikers plus improve our fitness levels. We now have quite a large ‘management’ team with a manager, assistant, coach, fitness, goalkeeper coach and physios. Don’t envy their first training session tonight!

I'm sure I read that they won't be starting until the 27th when training officially starts.

Do we have a goalkeeper coach?

7 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Scott said they’d be training once a week until the 27th June when pre season starts. Alex Wines is our goalkeeper coach.

Yes I know but I'm sure I read somewhere that our two new coaches are looking forward to starting on the 27th.

Don't remember Alex Wines being announced but could easily have slipped my normally excellent memory  😏

22 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Yes I know but I'm sure I read somewhere that our two new coaches are looking forward to starting on the 27th.

Don't remember Alex Wines being announced but could easily have slipped my normally excellent memory  😏

They may well be starting on the 27th as they have other arrangements or holidays? Still have Scott and Yella to take the first 2 sessions! Alex is listed in the first team profiles.

2 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

I wonder if Jefferson will be signed on as a player,too? We could certainly do worse and it would only be for emergencies/player shortages through injury etc. Last season I thought he did remarkably well for Slough in his cameo appearances.

I,too,am surprised Chris Winton chose to be coach here, over managing at Kings Langley but their loss seems to be our gain and given his credentials at St Albans fc and working with Ian Allinson there, it really looks to be a quality club appointment. Just hope we can afford all these people ? !😅

We have an optional session for the boys tomorrow and next Wednesday which a large number are coming along to.

We then start for good on the 27th where everyone will be back in.

Jeff will definitely sign a form in case of emergencies, would be stupid not to! 

Edited by Scott Davies

On 13/06/2023 at 21:52, GlenSTFC said:

Scott said they’d be training once a week until the 27th June when pre season starts. Alex Wines is our goalkeeper coach.

Alex is superb in my opinion, obviously seen him coaching across a big period of last season and on match days with both Rhys and then Will.  Very good.

On 09/06/2023 at 15:15, Scott Davies said:

If I believe they do a better job than me then I won’t play as much, simple! It’s not about me and never will be, hopefully you guys have realised that.

If the team we build is better without me then happy days, I’m happy to be watch and enjoy it from afar! 

I think I’m around 600 games now and I still love playing but I love winning more, so whatever it takes to achieve that! 

As the forum is rather quiet I thought I'd reply to this post. 

Laudable sentiments that Scott makes here but as he was among our better players last season I can still see him getting plenty of game time under his belt in 23/24.

Having a player of his wide experience in football can only benefit our newly brought together side and while he may not always be an automatic choice to start every match, he will still be a great asset on the pitch for changing and shaking up indifferent performances of our team. And also what a great substitute to have around.

So I can't see Scott hanging up his boots just yet !

An interesting and inspiring interview and one to whet the appetite for the new season. Was surprised to hear the Burnham fixture is basically a trialist match and will be interesting to see what level of quality is on show that day. I’m guessing the 13-14 trialists from that game will be whittled down to maybe half that for the next game and so on.