Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Concord Rangers

seemgee

Forster, Garcia-Valasco, Payne, Thomas, Okotcha, Richmond, Adjei-Hersey, Youngs, Cass, Wyllie, Beckles-Richards

Connolly, Bessadi, Coker, Birch, Soulya-Osekanongo

Edited by seemgee
Spelling error

Organised, tactically astute and clinical. Granted, one swallow does not a summer make, but I've already seen enough to be encouraged by and optimistic about the Macpherson Era.

By my count: 3 shots on target and 3 goals. Concord didn't have a single shot on target that I can recall - the first minute shot off the post was clearly off target!

It may not have been beautiful flowing football throughout, but it was everything that was required against a strong, physical Concord side. Two goals up at half-time and Gavin decided to shut up shop and play on the counter-attack in the second half. It worked perfectly.

Cass was a real pain for Concord - showing that we were up for the fight. He already looks fitter this season. Sam Youngs covered a lot of ground as ever. Marcus Wyllie had a very good game - looks like being his breakthrough season at this level.

On to Potters Bar (who were on the receiving end of a 5-0 defeat today).

We looked like a team that was both clear and comfortable with our formation (4-4-2) and played to our strengths.

Aside from the opening 10 minutes when Concord were on the front foot, I thought our back 4 looked both mobile and solid. CC is correct, apart from the shot that hit the post in the first minute, I can’t recall a single Concord shot on target. The new GK looked fine, commanding in the air though needs to work on his kicking. Richmond and Okotcha hardly gave the Concord forwards a sniff. I like Okotcha, he looks a really good CB. Looking forward to seeing him do a Rio and play his way out of defence.

Pretty even first half until a superb run and cross from Wyllie was finished with aplomb by Beckles-Richards, who looked very sharp down the left. We need to feed him more, for me he didn’t get enough of the ball (particularly in the second half). He will trouble a lot of right backs this season.

Wyllie took on the Concord defence all game, really good to see him play with such confidence and skill. He came very close to opening the scoring from another good cross with an instinctive overhead shot that only just cleared the bar. Some goal that would have been …..

Sam Youngs dictated things from the heart of midfield and the formation allowed him to do what he does best - quick, nimble turns and late runs into the box. Same comment for Scott Thomas, who mopped things up and moved the ball around simply. He took quite a knock in the first half but I thought the ref got the yellow card right. It was a very late challenge but wasn’t intentional. Thomas did well to play on after that.

Cass, who bullied the Concord defenders remorselessly, had a good game but I’d like to see him score more goals. He reminds me of Harry Ottaway, another skilful big man who should have scored more than he did.

Pitch was terrific, as was the football played on it!

Great start to the season and very optimistic for Tuesday night away at Potters Bar. Team will only get stronger when some of the absentees (Parcell in particular) return.

Fantastic performance. Marcus looked very sharp and ran their defence ragged. Just so refreshing to see us playing it on the deck, balancing this with long ball only when necessary. 

Defence and new keeper looked untroubled all game which was very pleasing.

Early days but all very positive. 

No idea what to expect first game of the season.   Obviously a few changes to last season, and interesting to see how we would be organised and set up. Concord having been relegated last year, thought they would be much stronger than they were but perhaps they've had alot of changes.

Apart from their chance in the first minute hitting the post, Concord were poor much of the game although we probably contributed to that.   We looked good in possession, relaxed on the ball and was lovely to see the ball being kept on the ground much more than last year.    Also felt as though perhaps last year the players had become too used to the same voice so it was good to see that our team now looks defensively sound, lots more communication and players all working hard for each other.   Reece has settled in well up front and great to see him get on the score sheet.   Sam and Marcus also looked lively all game long and the new RB showed some very nice bits of skill and technical ability.

Very difficult to judge on one game, however with a quick turn around to Potters Bar away on Tuesday it will be good to see how we do there.

Lots of promise though and certainly would take that scoreline if we'd been offered it before the game.

Very pleased with the first result. Looks like the hard work put in over the pre-season is paying off. Like the 4-4-2 formation. lets hope for a more settled squad and formation in this new era.

As i always say the acid test is how were compete against the six strongest teams in the league. Obviously we won't know who they are until the season pans out. 

Edited by lovely stuff

Not sure what to make of this result but we have seen clubs funded by well off owners before and suddenly they drop like a stone when the funds dry up . perhaps Concord are one such club . I have to admit I didn't expect a comfortable win against them . I was pleasantly surprised .