Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cray Valley Paper Mills FC Vs ETFC (FA Cup 4QR)

Unfortunately did seem to be our usual 'fans' again, they will probably go missing now its cold and in winter. I know we were losing at the time, but there wasn't any real need to react. It's the trouble with a day drinking and then attending games. I know it gives our games an atmosphere, but is it really what we want to be known for when you go to neutral stadiums

Edited by lanceyboyuk

Was saying to my friend George yesterday...a Towner day out at The Valley would be a dream day.

FACR1 Draw? C.V.(PM) away to Charlton!!!

Some hot balls in that draw eh? 🤔 🤬🤬🤬

Edited by WXEn8

Absolutely gutted about yesterday - yes Cray deserved the win overall but just feels like such a missed opportunity!!

Only change from last week was Keeya coming in for his debut in place of cup tied Sykes -- I had thought Birch may have come in to replicate the Halesowen line up, or perhaps Obi starting after his promising debut week before ..

It felt like a home game - really good and noisy support .. and again an early goal - Marcus took his shot well and all was good in the world!

After that we seemed to sit back and invite them onto us .. and no surprise with the equaliser

Our second was again created by quick moves forward that didnt allow them to settle and really pleased for Reece 

There were a couple of shirt pulls and pushes that went unpunished (I watched 1st half from the side) and I thought we could have had a pen too ..?

We did have some more chances eg Richmond header from a corner that went over but conceded at the worst possible time ... yes we should defend better but by my reckoning we were in the 8th minute of 4 mins added - the ref should have blown before they had the chance 

Anyway the 2nd half was a different story as they were by far the better side - we tweaked the formation moving Keeya wide and Reece more up top but the 1st 10 mins was all one way traffic and this is where I feel we should be making changes .. rather than waiting to concede ..

After going 2-3 down we did have some chances -- A poor back pass was intercepted by Reece but he was slightly wide and a good save from their keeper gave away a corner ..

.. also Sammy had a couple of flicked headers and Dylan was definately brought down in the box .. that's 3 or 4 chances we could have got it to 3-3 .. but as I said they deserved it

Sammy's challenge for his 2nd yellow was clumsy but definately a booking - I had forgotten he was on a yellow and he was very angry with himself, kicking the hoardings as he walked off - he's not one to lose it in games and don't remember him doing it before - so dont hold it against him as he has been a fantastic servant to this club and pivotal so far this season ..

We then just seemed to give up in those final few minutes ..  they went through us twice easily to get their final 2 goals .. I would have liked us to throw the kitchen sink at it and if they score again so be it .. but there wasnt much fight in those final minutes ... why not take off a defender/Scott and throw Bessadi on and just take a chance?

As said above our tactics were wrong on the day - they had a monstrous back 4 - we are good at set pieces but made little impact on the day when they were given time to set up .. they had a game plan to go long to the wings and it worked well for them 

We were too long ball - there were occasions when we strung 5 or 6 good passes together but not often enough ..

PLayers still came over to thank the fans for their support, and Gavin apologised when he came over. (No need Gav)

Cray will definately be in our league next season!

So what happens now - I do feel Gav has been loyal to the XI with it being difficult for others to get game time - after the last 2 matches I would expect changes to be made for Kingstonian on Weds ...  

.. Sammi B, Dylan and Gucci have spent a lot of time on the bench and must feel they deserve a chance 

.. Not to blame any particular defensive player but 9 goals conceded in 2 is a terrible stat .. should we shore up the defence with Coker in as a 3rd CB - more protection but also allows Micky and Joe to get forward more?

And perhaps the excellent start has been exaggerated by a relatively easy run of fixtures that has given us all more hope - as this is still a new side being developed. 

Lets get back to playing the ball on the ground more and back to winning ways on Weds.

Didn't see what happened on the side line? Be interested to hear ..

And I didnt rush from the ground at the end, and didn;t see any trouble - the Ultras is a fantastic addition to our club and the support is generally fantastic - but it is essential we do not tarnish our reputation as a family club - if there are usual suspects that people know of then they should be spoken to ..  

So in Bolton til 330 on Weds - hoping to make it to Kingstonian for kick off! 

And then Lewes, Ricay and Hornchurch - this will be a good benchmark of where we are .. I think 5 points from 9 would be acceptable ..

22 minutes ago, djwilf said:

Just listened to Gavin's review of yesterday's game, don't think anyone has said he is or have thought he is a Messiah......

Ok, I accept I went too far with the Messiah comment - I am just forever living in hope that the manager is going to move mountains and perform miracles.

I fancy we're a 'top-half team' this season. Just hoping that Gav can exceed my expectations.

10 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Ok, I accept I went too far with the Messiah comment - I am just forever living in hope that the manager is going to move mountains and perform miracles.

I fancy we're a 'top-half team' this season. Just hoping that Gav can exceed my expectations.

As i have said before, we are about 6-7th in the league for budget and about 6-7 in the league for attendances. So that league position would about what would be expected. Anything below that is under performing. Anything higher would be over achieving. Our former manager almost managed to achieve the average (even though he was heavily criticised). So am hoping (expecting) our new manger to make the play-off places. If not in his first season then definitely in his second season.

I've not been to many games this season (and wasn't at this one) - obviously very disappointing to go out to a side a division below us, but my source at the game tells me that they would have been a strong side in our division (they beat Carshalton twice for a reason).

Agree with many of the above comments, Gavin's honesty and tactical awareness have been a breath of fresh air - I don't think he has ever said that we'd be playing total football but from what I've seen and read, we are looking to play a little bit more than we did under Andy previously. I think our league position does flatter us somewhat, given a relatively easy start, and with a new manager, and more squad building taking place I think a play off place this season would be an over achievement (although no reason why we shouldn't be targeting that). Next season, I would hope that we are in and around the play off places as we'd have had more time to bring in players that Gavin wants, and further build and coach the squad. It certainly feels more positive than it has done in previous years, and although there will definitely be bumps in the road, hopefully we are heading in the right direction (ideally starting with a positive result on Wednesday).

• 4 weeks later...