Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Hampton and Richmond (home)

Reading Rebel

16 minutes ago, Windsor Rebel said:

Not at all, just know a bit more about the workings of the game than most of the posters on here, having played

at Step 5 back in the day, and almost playing for Slough when we were struggling for players whilst ground sharing at Windsor.

Next time you see Alan Harding, STFC Supporters Trust ask him about the time at Chelmsford when we only had 9 players.

So I would say I know a bit more than you about playing.

No need to see Alan when I’ve experienced all the ups and downs over the last 40 years. Not sure playing step 5 automatically makes you more knowledgeable about football but if that’s what you believe then I’m not going to shatter that illusion for you.

3 minutes ago, Windsor Rebel said:

I assume you still work Glen ? Would I tell you i know more about your job if i had no experience in that job?

I’m just saying step 5 isn’t a high level so not sure you preaching about knowing so much more than the average fan is correct. But as I said if you believe you’re so much more knowledgeable then fine just don’t expect others to agree! 

2 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I’m just saying step 5 isn’t a high level so not sure you preaching about knowing so much more than the average fan is correct. But as I said if you believe you’re so much more knowledgeable then fine just don’t expect others to agree! 

Agree not a high level but higher than you have played at. Enjoy your evening

53 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I think 4 strikers would be difficult to keep happy and give game time. 3 quality strikers is ideal as they’d all be in the matchday 16 plus it’ll keep all 3 on their toes knowing if they miss a few too many they’ll lose their starting place. Yes I’m sure a 20+ goals striker at this level is difficult to sign and no doubt damn expensive so it’ll be interesting to see who the player you’re pursing is.

Don't forget besides being injured Mickel Platt will not be with us come January so that leaves us with Nathan and Slavi who Scott has already said is a 'project' for the future so we cannot expect too much from him this season.

That leaves us with one main striker.

Does my Veterans football count?!

I'm apparently good at enraging security staff at away grounds now. An acquired skill from years of experience on the side lines.

Step 5's decent enough WR, it didn't even exist when I played regularly!!

Getting back to the match, I have mixed feelings after this one. As Scott says on Twitter, it felt like we should have won it, but could have lost it. We were 2-0 up, relatively untroubled and cruising until the 67th minute when Hampton pulled one back. Whilst it was by no means back against the wall stuff from then, Hamptons superior clinical finishing began to tell and we somehow found ourselves 3-2 down going into injury time. All credit to the boys for not taking the easy option and giving up, Spasov announcing himself to the Reels faithful in the nick of time to grab a draw, which was the very least we deserved from the game.

As for Nathan Minhas, Glen is right when he says that he should have at least hit the target with that chance in the 76th minute. A goal then would have made the score 3-1 and we probably would have gone on to win. And yesterday wasn't the first time this season I've thought that he could/should have had a hattrick. But even top, world champion strikers miss these chances occasionally (take a look at some of the many "Top Missed Chances" compilations on Youtube if you don't believe me). Despite his recent upturn in form, I think we've yet to see the best of him.

And as for why Hampton only bought about 100, I can only imagine that a combination of the early kick-off, National League TV (where I watched the game) and lack of unreserved parking put people off (a lack of available parking is why I didn't go to Grimsby, even though I live far closer to Cleethorpes than I do to Slough).

I don't see a problem with Nathan Minhas.

We've already heard that his slow start to the season was very likely down to him adjusting to playing at a higher level.

He's now shown us that he's adjusted and has started to score goals on a regular basis showing supporters why he was brought to the club in the first place.

This is good news because we can now all look forward to seeing Nathan score goals on a regular basis during a very busy January and for the remaining fixtures of the season.

Edited by Reading Rebel

8 hours ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Does my Veterans football count?!

I'm apparently good at enraging security staff at away grounds now. An acquired skill from years of experience on the side lines.

Step 5's decent enough WR, it didn't even exist when I played regularly!!

Sorry Bernie, veterans football is a grade of football far to low to count 😉  

13 hours ago, Nathan said:

Getting back to the match, I have mixed feelings after this one. As Scott says on Twitter, it felt like we should have won it, but could have lost it. We were 2-0 up, relatively untroubled and cruising until the 67th minute when Hampton pulled one back. Whilst it was by no means back against the wall stuff from then, Hamptons superior clinical finishing began to tell and we somehow found ourselves 3-2 down going into injury time. All credit to the boys for not taking the easy option and giving up, Spasov announcing himself to the Reels faithful in the nick of time to grab a draw, which was the very least we deserved from the game.

As for Nathan Minhas, Glen is right when he says that he should have at least hit the target with that chance in the 76th minute. A goal then would have made the score 3-1 and we probably would have gone on to win. And yesterday wasn't the first time this season I've thought that he could/should have had a hattrick. But even top, world champion strikers miss these chances occasionally (take a look at some of the many "Top Missed Chances" compilations on Youtube if you don't believe me). Despite his recent upturn in form, I think we've yet to see the best of him.

And as for why Hampton only bought about 100, I can only imagine that a combination of the early kick-off, National League TV (where I watched the game) and lack of unreserved parking put people off (a lack of available parking is why I didn't go to Grimsby, even though I live far closer to Cleethorpes than I do to Slough).

A very good post Nathan. At last someone who realises that even the best strikers do not hit the target 100% on the time.

" Size isn't important"
So said Barry Hiron, ( the guardian of the Arbour Park main car park gates on a matchday ),  to me in a whimsical way.
Barry, I thought to myself, you are so wrong.
What I held in my hand wasn't even the same size as everybody else's. 
It was tiny
Embarrassingly so.
No-one surely could get any satisfaction from it, or if they somehow were able to, the pleasure would be very, very brief.
When I had handed over my money a short while earlier, I had expected something much more substantial.
I was bitterly disappointed.
I am of course talking about the Aveley F.C. official match day programme.
It is labelled as a "pocket sized" match day programme.
"Pocket Sized" for whom exactly ?
One of Snow White's dwarves ?
( Am I allowed to use the word "dwarves" anymore, or should I say "people of restricted height" ? )
Lord knows in today's bonkers society.
When I was handed it by the programme seller, I thought it was an advertisement flyer, and waited for the proper programme to be given to me.
I waited in vain.
That was it.
The print on the few miniscule pages was microscopic.
Gave me a headache just looking at it, let alone trying to read it.
What was the final insult, was that this "programme" wasn't just for our game with them.
it was a double game issue, and covered Aveley's home game on December 30th with Dover too ! 
Aveley, size  IS  important.
Compare that to our match programme  for our  Boxing Day fixture v, Hampton and Richmond.
Talk about chalk and cheese. 
As well as the usual management and captain notes and various general match facts and info etc , there was another entertaining article from Legend of Pegasus.
The "From the Archives" article included a long match report bringing back memories of those FA Cup matches we had against Orient nearly 40 years ago, and the "Ask the Player " section this time was with Lenchy.
Of course Lenchy had to be different.
Rather than blandly answer the usual questions, he had decided to write a very entertaining and revealing "behind the scenes"  piece for us fans.
I loved the photograph which accompanied this feature, which showed exactly how a highly trained , professional athlete like Lenchy treats his body like a temple.
The pic showed him downing a pint of Guinness.
Classic.
Great article Lenchy !
Then of course there was the usual excellent article from "Brighton Rebel".
Quite a poignant one this time , concerning the life and death of a long time Rebels Fan.
I loved especially the lines Warren wrote about this gentleman, Derwin Dean, when he said about him 
" He was also a ballboy at the Greyhound Stadium, but was apparently sacked cos he didn't want to collect the balls".
That's beautiful.
I recently managed to obtain a copy of the match day programme when we played away at AFC Wimbledon back in 2007, when we lost a close game 9-0.
Reading  through it I couldn't believe it when I came across an entertaining article in it, all about their opponents that day, Slough Town, from "Brighton Rebel" !
I don't know how he does it.

Boxing Day morning I left my house just after 11am.
My wife and her relations who were staying with us for Xmas, were about to start a game of Monopoly.
We play amended rules to make sure that the game doesn't go on for hours and hours
I mentioned before in a previous post that I was a guest of John the match sponsor , and I drove to Arbour Park and stopped just  inside the main gates, where I should be allowed to park  that day.
As always, Barry Hiron was there.
With his clipboard..
Unlike Private Pike in Dad's Army, I really wanted my name to be on the list.
The person in the car in front of me obviously wasn't  approved by Barry, and was being made to do a 3 point turn and find somewhere else to park. 
Barry then approached my car, smiling.
" He's still thinking about his size isn't important quip from Saturday" I thought.
" Am I on your list Barry ?" , I asked hopefully.
"Yeah, I've got you down here. You can park anywhere you like." he said in a very friendly manner.
Feeling very happy I drove past him, parked the car, and walked  towards the main Players/Official entrance.
Standing just inside the door was Jean.
She gave me a very warm welcome, and handed me an official lanyard to hang around my neck.
" Make sure you put the lanyard back in the box when you leave" Jean told me.
I would make sure that I did.
I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of Jean.
I went upstairs to the boardroom, which was already pretty full with people when I got there.
I saw John the sponsor, and went over to say hello.
Lots of his family were there, including his wife Trudi and step-daughter Kelsie.
Trudi gave me a very friendly hug,
She's a very friendly girl is Trudi.
I was pleased to get the chance to ask Trudi how their cat was.
I say this because after every bad result Slough have, John departs the ground threatening that when he gets home he will give his cat an almighty kick up the backside sending it into orbit.  
After the start Slough had this season, I worried that their cat might have been sent into space more often than Neil Armstrong.
I was thankfully reassured that the cat was ok, and then took note of the teamsheet that was being passed around among us.
I was delighted to see Nathan, Mickel and David listed up front.
It took a while for it to register that there was no Josh, no Tyrese (again ) and no Johnny, and the bench, compared to recent previous matches, looked a little inexperienced..
After an enjoyable time chatting with people, and eating a few prawn sandwiches,  I made my way out of the boardroom to take up my place to watch the game.
The match kicked off in very nice weather conditions for a Boxing Day afternoon.
The 45 minutes of the first half flew by, as they always do for me when it is a good game.
Two massive highpoints, Munashe's and Nathan's goals.
Two up at halftime against a very strong physically and organised team who have been flying for the last couple of months.
Like everyone else I'm sure, I  thought  "I hope to God those misses late in the half by Mickel and Nathan don't come back to haunt us come the end of the game. " 
The second half started, and we were comfortable I thought and still threatening to add to our goal tally.
Then of course it happened.
Hampton scored.
They obviously were still losing the game, but everyone in the stadium knew that it was going to be a different game from now on.
Unlike the first half which flew by, the final whistle seemed to get further and further away.
Temi's bullet header from a corner would have gone in if it hadn't been directed straight at the goalkeeper.
Anywhere else and it would have been 3-1.
Nathan was then through on goal.
Please God, let him score.
He didn't.
The ref missed what I thought was an obvious handball in the Slough area, which would have been a penalty for Hampton, and I wondered if this was a sign that we were going to hang on for a 2-1 victory.
A few minutes later, we were 3-2 down.
Oh FFS.
To have been so close to  achieving a massive 3 pts against a very good, strong team, we now looked like ending the game with nothing to show for our intense efforts.
The game went into added on time.
The equaliser just wasn't going to come.
Even Dan in goal came up into the Hampton penalty area to try to score a third goal to level the match.  
When that goal went in in the 98th minute, I know it was only an equaliser but it felt like a winner.
At least we were going to get something out of the game.
We did not deserve to get beaten, not on that performance.
After applauding the team off the pitch for their efforts at the final whistle, I made my way back to the boardroom.
Plenty of free food and drink was available as promised, and after a few chats about what had happened in the previous 90+ minutes, I made my way home.
I walked through my front door just after 4pm, and found the family, 5 hours later, still playing the same game of Monopoly.
Nobody had yet won.
Thank God I was at the football.

To end my ramblings, I need to ask you all a serious football question.
Is it possible for a ref or the FA to alter a ref's decision/action after a game has finished ?
I'm pretty sure no, but after only finding out recently that a manager/backroom staff member can be shown a straight red card if he kicks the ball away during a match( as what happened to Yella recently), I'm not sure I'm up to date with current regulations.
I'm asking this because I reckon that Slough should have finished the game with 10 men.
A Slough player I think definitely should have been sent off.
Eagle eyed "Bonjour" noted this, not me, but I agree with him.
I don't want to go into any more details at the moment, as I wouldn't want to get  a particular player into trouble.
I haven't noticed anybody else mentioning this incident.. 

Edited by Holyport Rebel

33 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

" Size isn't important"
So said Barry Hiron, ( the guardian of the Arbour Park main car park gates on a matchday ),  to me in a whimsical way.
It was tiny
Embarrassingly so.
No-one surely could get any satisfaction from it, or if they somehow were able to, the pleasure would be very, very brief.
When I had handed over my money a short while earlier, I had expected something much more substantial.
( Am I allowed to use the word "dwarves" anymore, or should I say "people of restricted height" ? )
When I was handed it by the programme seller, I thought it was an advertisement flyer, and waited for the proper programme to be given to me.
I waited in vain.
That was it.
What was the final insult, was that this "programme" wasn't just for our game with them.
it was a double game issue, and covered Aveley's home game on December 30th with Dover too ! 
Compare that to our match programme  for our  Boxing Day fixture v, Hampton and Richmond.
As well as the usual management and captain notes and various general match facts and info etc , there was another entertaining article from Legend of Pegasus.
The "From the Archives" article included a long match report bringing back memories of those FA Cup matches we had against Orient nearly 40 years ago, and the "Ask the Player " section this time was with Lenchy.
Rather than blandly answer the usual questions, he had decided to write a very entertaining and revealing "behind the scenes"  piece for us fans.
I loved the photograph which accompanied this feature, which showed exactly how a highly trained , professional athlete like Lenchy treats his body like a temple.
Classic.
Great article Lenchy !
Quite a poignant one this time , concerning the life and death of a long time Rebels Fan.
I loved especially the lines Warren wrote about this gentleman, Derwin Dean, when he said about him 
" He was also a ballboy at the Greyhound Stadium, but was apparently sacked cos he didn't want to collect the balls".
That's beautiful.
I recently managed to obtain a copy of the match day programme when we played AFC Wimbledon back in 2007, when we lost a close game 9-0.
Reading  through it I couldn't believe it when I came across an entertaining article in it, all about their opponents that day, Slough Town, from "Brighton Rebel" !

My wife and her relations who were staying with us for Xmas, were about to start a game of Monopoly.
We play amended rules to make sure that the game doesn't go on for hours and hours
I mentioned before in a previous post that I was a guest of John the match sponsor , and I drove to Arbour Park and stopped just  inside the main gates, where I should be allowed to park  that day.
With his clipboard..
The person in the car in front of me obviously wasn't  approved by Barry, and was being made to do a 3 point turn and find somewhere else to park. 
" He's still thinking about his size isn't important quip from Saturday" I thought.
"Yeah, I've got you down here. You can park anywhere you like." he said in a very friendly manner.
Feeling very happy I drove past him, parked the car, and walked  towards the main Players/Official entrance.
She gave me a very warm welcome, and handed me an official lanyard to hang around my neck.
I went upstairs to the boardroom, which was already pretty full with people when I got there.
Lots of his family were there, including his wife Trudi and step-daughter Kelsie.
I say this because after every bad result Slough have, John departs the ground threatening that when he gets home he will give his cat an almighty kick up the backside sending it into orbit.  
After the start Slough had this season, I worried that their cat might have been sent into space more often than Neil Armstrong.
I was thankfully reassured that the cat was ok, and then took note of the teamsheet that was being passed around among us.
It took a while for it to register that there was no Josh, no Tyrese (again ) and no Johnny, and the bench, compared to recent previous matches, looked a little inexperienced..
After an enjoyable time chatting with people, and eating a few prawn sandwiches,  I made my way out of the boardroom to take up my place to watch the game.
The match kicked off in very nice weather conditions for a Boxing Day afternoon.
The 45 minutes of the first half flew by, as they always do for me when it is a good game.
Two up at halftime against a very strong physically and organised team who have been flying for the last couple of months.
Like everyone else I'm sure, I  thought  "I hope to God those misses late in the half by Mickel and Nathan don't come back to haunt us come the end of the game. " 
The second half started, and we were comfortable I thought and still threatening to add to our goal tally.
Hampton scored.
They obviously were still losing the game, but everyone in the stadium knew that it was going to be a different game from now on.
Unlike the first half which flew by, the final whistle seemed to get further and further away.
Temi's bullet header from a corner would have gone in if it hadn't been directed straight at the goalkeeper.
He didn't.
The ref missed what I thought was an obvious handball in the Slough area, which would have been a penalty for Hampton, and I wondered if this was a sign that we were going to hang on for a 2-1 victory.
Oh FFS.
To have been so close to  achieving a massive 3 pts against a very good, strong team, we now looked like ending the game with nothing to show for our intense efforts.
Even Dan in goal came up into the Hampton penalty area to try to score a third goal to level the match.  
When that goal went in in the 98th minute, I know it was only an equaliser but it felt like a winner.
After applauding the team off the pitch for their efforts at the final whistle, I made my way back to the boardroom.
Plenty of free food and drink was available as promised, and after a few chats about what had happened in the previous 90+ minutes, I made my way home.
I walked through my front door just after 4pm, and found the family still, 5 hours later, still playing the same game of Monopoly.
Nobody had yet won.

Is it possible for a ref or the FA to alter a ref's decision/action after a game has finished ?
I'm pretty sure no, but after only finding out recently that a manager/backroom staff member can be shown a straight red card if he kicks the ball away during a match( as what happened to Yella recently), I'm not sure I'm up to date with current regulations.
I'm asking this because I reckon that Slough should have finished the game with 10 men.
I don't want to go into any more details at the moment, as I wouldn't want to get  a particular player into trouble.
If it turns out that what me and Bonjour think is incorrect, remember that it was Bonjour who originally raised this issue, not me !  😄

I also thought a Slough player should have been sent off Wonder If the same one as you? I really enjoyed your post 👍

15 minutes ago, Ian g f said:

I also thought a Slough player should have been sent off Wonder If the same one as you? I really enjoyed your post 👍

Ian, I reckon we must be thinking the same.

You can understand my reluctance to say any more until I know that things can't be changed retrospectively !

Glad you liked the post.👍 

2 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

" Size isn't important"
It was tiny
Embarrassingly so.
I waited in vain.
That was it.
Classic.
Great article Lenchy !
That's beautiful.
I recently managed to obtain a copy of the match day programme when we played away at AFC Wimbledon back in 2007, when we lost a close game 9-0.

With his clipboard..
Hampton scored.
He didn't.
Oh FFS.
I walked through my front door just after 4pm, and found the family, 5 hours later, still playing the same game of Monopoly.
Nobody had yet won.

Great post HR.

You certainly made me laugh with the bit about John's cat going into orbit.

As for the question on the rules after a match has finished I've no idea.

Presumably you're not talking about when Scott nearly sent the player into orbit with his attempt at a slide tackle 😅

No, I didn't see the incident you're talking about and I would think that if the ref or linesmen never saw the incident at the time and unless someone complains and there's evidence to back it up I would say they can't do anything about it now. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

" Size isn't important"
It was tiny
Embarrassingly so.
I waited in vain.
That was it.
Classic.
Great article Lenchy !
That's beautiful.
I recently managed to obtain a copy of the match day programme when we played AFC Wimbledon back in 2007, when we lost a close game 9-0.

With his clipboard..
I say this because after every bad result Slough have, John departs the ground threatening to give his cat an almighty kick up the backside sending it into orbit.  
Hampton scored.
He didn't.
Oh FFS.
I walked through my front door just after 4pm, and found the family still, 5 hours later, still playing the same game of Monopoly.
Nobody had yet won.

If it turns out that what me and Bonjour think is incorrect, remember that it was Bonjour who originally raised this issue, not me !  😄

Thankfully Jammers’ quick thinking got someone out of trouble! But that’ll be the end of it, can’t change yellow cards! 

Mine was slightly late, a fair yellow! Can’t argue with that.

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

" Size isn't important"
It was tiny
Embarrassingly so.
I waited in vain.
That was it.
Classic.
Great article Lenchy !
That's beautiful.

With his clipboard..
Hampton scored.
He didn't.
Oh FFS.
Nobody had yet won.

Kev, saw you lurking at the back in the Sponsor's photo, you're becoming famous!! Great post as usual.

Will Windsor Rebel finish reading this?