Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Llantwit Major AFC vs Enfield Town FC

Who was that knob commentating ?…. embarrassing on our big day out… 🤣… picture was so far away i never actually saw the ball ….. Bob passes to Bill who pings it up the pitch 🤣… Enfield substitution “i don’t know who come on and i’ve no idea who went off “….. 

As Lovely just said to have a European match played on park pitches against park teams make a mockery of the competition….

Edited by WHY DO I BOTHER

12 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

This competition seems to be a bit shambolic and poorly organised to be honest. Is good to experience something different and to experience playing clubs from other countries, but we need to think seriously as whether to except any future invitation unless there are guarantees of a more professional approach by the organisers and by some of the clubs involved going forwards.

Is there any prize money to offset transport costs, etc?

I don't agree Lovely Stuff.

Our club was formed and played for many years on a meadow of a pitch at Brimsdown. Whilst conditions were poor I do not think that we can blame the ground staff or Llantwit for that with the weather we have had for the past month or so.

The wind was the same for both sides and the teams demonstrated their commitment and skills during the game despite the weather and pitch.

I will be pleased to go to Italy as I was pleased to go to Denmark and Wales to see my club play European football as it is progress. It reminds me of old EFC days and the games against Ponte San Pietro. Playing clubs like Llantwit is giving back to the game that we all love and that is after driving home in wet and muddy trousers after falling down in the park next to the pitch.

I did wonder where the fans came from in the second half alongside the left hand of the side we were defending. Did they just appear out of the bar or did they get in free at half time.

7 minutes ago, Steph said:

Whilst conditions were poor I do not think that we can blame the ground staff or Llantwit for that with the weather we have had for the past month or so.

I think we have all seen enough breaks in the weather this month to be able to cut our lawns at least once or twice.

On 10/04/2024 at 09:12, andyetfc said:

Is there any prize money to offset transport costs, etc?

Our very good away support in this competition has more than payed  for our teams hotel and food costs when travelling. In contrast there has been virtually no away support coming to our place. The apathy to the competition from fans of other clubs speaks volumes. As does the fact that Town put out an under strength team for this latest tie (with some of our best players not even travelling). Playing teams on astro turf training courts and on grounds that are not even up to step 9 level feels regressive.

Edited by lovely stuff

I agree with Steph re Fenix trophy participation and also think it reflects positively on our club. The away game in Copenhagen in particular took team togetherness to another level and I think our performances in the league since that match have benefited accordingly.

Llantwit Major proved competitive in both matches. Yes, their pitch was bumpy but it was the wind that affected the away game - and of course it was the same for both teams.

The result that raised my eyebrows was the FC Manchester home match against (I forget who) which was a cricket score. Something wasn’t right there. But let’s not pass judgement until after the finale in Lake Garda, which unfortunately I can’t attend (pre-booked holiday - groan).

I for one would look forward to trips to the likes of Budapest, Prague, Oslo or Helsinki to watch ETFC in the Fenix Trophy next year, given the chance. And the extra media attention should improve our sponsorship opportunities.

Edited by Benjrider10

On 09/04/2024 at 21:03, lovely stuff said:

This competition seems to be a bit shambolic and poorly organised to be honest. Is good to experience something different and to experience playing clubs from other countries, but we need to think seriously as whether to accept any future invitation unless there are guarantees of a more professional approach by the organisers and by some of the clubs involved going forwards.

I have the same train of thought myself , Is it really worth wasting club funds that could be put to better use such as ground Improvements  . Not actually sure what level this trophy is but assuming lower end  the pyramid .