Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Horsham 0-4 Margate

Chris1

First chance I've had to get on the computer tonight. Elated with the victory.A great result.Many thanks to those posting reports on the game.Thanks also to Blueswithsoul,Michaelmichael & Melvin for keeping me informed of what was happening down there as & when things occurred.

Quote:
I did, though, feel a kind of jigsaw was completed with this game, as if the parameters of the division hold no secrets now; Margate and Heybridge, then maybe Chelmsford and Bromley at one end, W&H and Hendon at the other and . . . and the rest variously plotted in between. Feels like we have some sense now of what’s what in this new world we’ve been promoted into. Doesn’t feel uncomfortable, does it ?

I liked Margate very much, thought they looked the pick of the bunch and expect them to go up, quite possibly as Champions. Particularly telling was their alertness, the collective footballing brain was sharper than anything I’ve seen in this Div. Also, they had the right kind of physical presence. Impressed.

Might be controversial but I also thought we had a Ref who looked liked he’d played the game at some half decent level; he knew the score and was no mug, imo.

From the Horsham board.

Very impressed with our performance yesterday. Very assured. First half we tried hard to put moves together that didnt quite come off, although we always seemed in control. Second half we cut through them going forward. Jacko, Macca, Pinns and Pat stood out although everybody had a good game.

Not that often that you get something to really be elated about so hope you can tolerate an additional view on the game:

Most professional performance i have seen by a Margate side in years.

First half like a game of chess,but i thoroughly enjoyed it.

We were a bit dodgy in first 15 mins as we struggled to get our passing game going on a very sticky pitch,but slowly but surely the midfield took control and we just shaded the honours in the first half.

Only other thing of note was the ref turning down a pretty good penalty shout from Horsahm when DeanStanden -who otherwise was superb was caught a bit out of position, but somehow had the speed to recover (DS must be our quickest player) and made a saving 'tackle'-heart in mouth -as i think some refs would have given a penalty.

Like most, i thought it was going to be a backpass going wrong on a sticky pitch which would win the game, but upon reflection you could say that the hard work done by Pinnock and Hockton upfront,and the whole of midfield throughout the first half wore Horsham out mentally so that in the second half they were just overwhelmed and had nothing left.

AS we have seen with the 'Gate-Horsham were tired out mentally by the second half,and then concentration goes,mistakes occur and if you are good enough-as Gate were yesterday-the opposition scores

For example, i thought Abbott was average in first half -against a very good full back i thought-but in second half,Abbott was supreme and ran rings round the same full back.

I think we were stronger mentally.

Second half-midfield continued to take control.

'Penalty denial 'incident for Horsham.However,it was possibly only a free kick on edge of box anyway,and two Horsham fans near the incident both said to me that it was NOT a penalty/free kick anyway.

Then we scored, and scored again, and again ( all as others report)and Danny should have got a fifth.

Very very professional performance.

Defence looked solid and a unit.

Sappleton was magnificent.

So good to see Greg at full back.-does anyone else notice how nothing sems to happen down Greg's flank-he is 'Mr Cool' and just has the knack of ensuring that nothing happens to cause concern down that flank.

SCS not really troubled-had to deal with a few difficult back passes but you were always confident he would clear them .As others say-he is by right our Number One.

Midfield was excellent all across the pitch-JJ and Abbo always there to receive the pass,and in the middle MCKimm and Protheroe were in complete control -thats probably where the game was won.

Three of the goals as a result of crosses which must have pleased RT

Up front DH and JP worked hard against good defenders and i think their first half work rate had alot to do with Horsham capitulating in the second half.

Again in many ways it was like a Boxing match-a war of attrition in first half whilst we wore them down mentally until frankly they had nothing left for most of the second half and it could have been 6.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

More of the same please.

(and the ref;was very good and fair aswell)

Pretty much agree with that, Michael. Though the first half was fairly even in terms of possession and chances, there were signs Horsham were feeling the strain. Quite a few times their full backs tried to play the ball out, but either kicked it off or gave it straight to one of our players.

Don't forget, they were top of the table. You would have expected them to have put us under sustained pressure at some point in the game, but that didn't happen.

All that said, there was not a better time to play them as they had lost both their top scorers, and their third top scorer went off just before half-time.

Quote:
JJ - MargateFC said:
I had a chat with John Maggs the Horsham manager after the game. He said that Margate had done an extremly professional job and that Horsham were not in the same league as Chelmsford, Margate et al.

JM is a man who knows about football!

"et al"? Al who?

Al Abdullah!