Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Surrey F.A. to move to Dorking

Does this mean the SCFA will host all the Surrey Cup finals going forward?

We'll just have to wait and see.  It's all a season away.

I see on Wanderers latest press release, that they are 'looking forward to playing at Meadowbank'.  In view of the DFC Boards latest press release, things could become interesting.

Does this mean the SCFA will host all the Surrey Cup finals going forward?

Wouldn't surprise me Lee

That was my suggestion to them when I spoke about them being part of a ground at Ewell. I quoted Lancing FC, which is very nice and I believe the Lancashire FA if not others have a similar arrangement.

Also sounds from TRS as though the stand will survive. I really hope so, even though I understand it is just a cosmetic point.

I know that in days gone past, the main stand on the club-house side was always a 'problem' as far as M.V.D.C. were concerned.

If it is to be retained, which I somehow doubt, the cost of repair/renovation would probably exceed that for a completely new one.  Having said that, I totally agree that the present one is iconic.

The plans are on the MVDC site. Go to planning and running list 8/5 and scroll through.

Sorry I can't see a link to post but they show how it will all look, down to the chairs at the bar.  (let's get our priorities right!)

The stand will go, but will be replaced by a similar one, without a paint and petrol store underneasth I hope.

The whole place will be bulldozed, and good riddance to it, despite me spending a lot of my time there over the last 50 years the place is a dangerous rat ridden (of many types) disgraceful slum.

It will be replaced by a 4 million pound project that Dorking can be proud of, and will benefit the whole community, especially the footballing fraternity.

Well done to the council, and if anyone can see a negative in this , you're a more miserable cynical git than me. 

There are two aspects to this development , a non football area facing onto Meadowbank, and the footballing complex.

The two will be able to run independently.

Surrey FA will have its HQ in the non football area from what I can tell, and it would make sense for them to use the football facility for representative games, coaching, badges etc etc.

Although I hate groundshares, personally I hope that Dorking FC and Dorking Wanderers FC will be able to play there (together nicely please) and of course I hope that the ground will continue to be primarily Dorking FCs ground, and that Dorking FC will have control of, and the money from, the clubhouse. 

Well done to Dorking Wanderers on promotion to Ryman, Dorking will have two Ryman grounds soon, and that looked very unlikely 18 months ago.

Isn't this the sort of thing Elmbridge want to do with Walton Casuals and Walton & Hersham?

I know W&H are against it and have the local public on their side. If there's one thing NIMBYs hate more than football grounds, it's houses.

I'm not surprised about SCFA moving there. I put the idea to them a few years back about getting involved with a new ground in Ewell but it would have required a financial input probably greater than they would need to come up with now, if any that is.

From the picture it looks a very futuristic set up and I am assuming, as it is not clear from the picture that the new complex will be on the same side of the ground as the current facilities. This is very sad in one way, as it will mean the end for their stand which is now over sixty years old, but I suppose that is the price of progress and the area surrounding probably needs to be cleared.

Couldn't help but be amused by the DFC statement though. Despite many teams there of all shapes and sizes being acceptable, sharing with DFCW appears to be too many teams!  

Of course one option, if the DFC Chairman is so keen on the Community and youngsters having more slots available, would be to fold Dorking FC as a senior option, leaving DFCW as the one senior club in the Borough, but that's probably just me being mischievous!

On a serious point though, how many years can you retain your senior status when you are no longer playing at senior level? DFC no longer compete in the Surrey Senior Cup and are about to enter another year at Step Six.  

Yes the old stand is going to expensive to repair

This gets better by the minute. For the life of me though what are Dorking Wanderers to do with this. I must say after some research they seem full of their own importance and a tad arrogant. Senior in status but clearly in awe of the historical values of Dorking FC.

A bit like Chelsea . Carefree wherever you may be and all that but a recently successful team built entirely on a somewhat dubious financial injection that is only important to those that are a part of that cheap dream.

Enevitably going to disappear at some point in the near future and filled with characters that have no moral fibre.

Sorry Mr spurs . I meant to respond to your post without what I think was a justifiable rant from me , if you can describe it as that , but thank you for your sensible comments. Ground issues sound encouraging as are your views. Mr Big , are you actually a part of the set up , a distant supporter or mere commentator as you seem to stop short of actually saying anything relevant on this or any other post. Or are you just a tease ? Are you the new chairman ? You obviously know a lot or do you ? Are you a gifted poster that is nothing to do with it but is a secret admirer ?

Oh it's here I'm off to sunny Spain. Will catch up in a few days. Just called for boarding for my flight.

Go on have a giggle,shocked at your last 2 posts,you obviously know little about Dorking FC or Dorking Wanderers,maybe you have had a drink,as you are scared of flying?

Fact 1

BJR or Mr Big as you call him has been a loyal supporter/helper of Dorking FC,as have family members over many years,so for you to ridicule him in any way is ludicrous.

The spurs fan,Mr Spurs as you call him,has been a loyal supporter of Dorking FC over a number of years,helping behind the bar,doing the gate,a true fan.

Fact 2

I hope you have proof of your quote 'dubious financial injection' regarding Dorking Wanderers. If you have not a remark like that is slanderous to say the least.Dorking Wanderers should be applauded for turning farmland into a decent footballing facility that has Step 4 grading,not ridiculed by a recent newbie like yourself.Question who are you? (What is your obvious connection to Dorking FC in its current form,Chairman/Manager/Player/Supporter/Brockham Badgers Parent.)

The reason I came to the above Conclusion in brackets is that you have come out of nowhere slagging people you do not know,who by the way are decent Football people.Who by the way support a True COMMUNITY FACILITY in Dorking,used BY ALL.

So please name yourself,my name is Peter Eaton proud of it,Telephone number 0208 405 8279 give me a ring if your a genuine Dorking Fan,that no one has met,be pleased to chew over the fat.Then maybe I could respect you more for your nasty views.

Edited by Smudge

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. Certainly not my intention. I have lived abroad for several years and only recently returned in what will again be only for a short time as I have a new contract in Gran Canaria. I adopted Dorking as they appeared to be my local team with unusual comments being made about them here there and everywhere and I love an underdog. I recognise BJR is in some capacity attached to Dorking as he is kowledgeable about them and seems the most likely poster for an accurate heads up on what's going in. My comments about stopping short of saying much was based on a number of posts where he states he can't comment. Likewise thespursfan who I'm sure is equally important to Dorkings cause. I wasn't being disrespectful to either of these gentlemen but believed they could answer some of the points that at present are unclear. Maybe they can't but I was just asking. As for Dorking Wanderers I know little of them other than they have had a fantastic rise through the leagues possibly based on money . Am I wrong ? Is so apologies again. Maybe this information given to me was wrong. In respect of your demands of me . Don't worry I won't bother with posting again.Clearly newbies come under scrutiny and appear unwelcome. Not running away just returned abroad on a more permanent basis. I will watch from a distance and good luck to all.

What a poor reply,you should change your name to HAVINGALAUGH,No Apology to Dorking Wanderers at all.When scrutinised you run for cover.You are a weasel quoting about things you do not have a scooby about and are factually wrong on all counts.

You will not be the first to slate others then leg it back into the undergrowth you came from.GOOD RIDDANCE TO YOUR ILK

NEWBIES are always welcome on this site,but not ones who post slanderous/libellous statements which your post certainly contained.

Edited by Smudge

Mr Giggle, it would be a pity if you stopped posting, its all a bit quiet here and for me its good to hear a neutral outsiders view.

Problem is, you are either not a neutral outsider, or you have been given one side of the Dorking story.

This can be gleaned from your posts calling out JR, and criticising Wanderers.

If I was to land on planet Dorking right now, Id have to conclude Wanderers were a successful club on the way up, and Dorking FC ( est 1880) had run the towns ground down to a slum, and were playing at the lowest level possible for a senior side, not even competing in the FA cup.

Seems easy to choose who I would support if I were a new guy in town.

However , that is just a snapshot of where we are today, and I continue to support Dorking FC, without hating Wanderers.

Still, its given us a bit of fun guessing who you may be.

Went to the exhibition of the plans at the council offices earlier, very interesting & informative. I ended up speaking with one of the architects rather than the council official as he was tied up with other people, so the information was from a construction viewpoint rather than ownership/running of the site.

It's all very eco-friendly regards design, including the flood lighting which will be the latest type that is less intrusive to the surrounding areas than the old style. As i thought the pitch is moving further towards the left, as you look from the main stand. It is a completely new stand which will apparently seat 250. The new changing room/clubhouse block will be where the current clubhouse is, but will be two storey with the changing areas on the ground floor and the clubhouse upstairs with a viewing area of the pitch similar to Horley. (No balcony as far as I could tell). There will be covered standing behind each goal. The Surrey FA offices/cafe/community area will be a separate building behind the park end goal. You won't be able to access the cafe from the football ground, as it faces out to the park and will have a terrace area out front. Car park staying as is now.

The architect said as she was generally talking that there will be 2 football clubs there now, which I picked her up on. She did backtrack a little and said she thought they were still discussing it, but i'm pretty sure the intention is that Wanderers will share the facility. I asked what the general feedback had been and she said it was broadly positive. The main concern had come from the residents of the houses the other side of the path behind the dugouts, which is understandable. The deadlines are quite tight in that it doesn't go for approval until July, with work to start in September if it's nodded through.

All in all it looks an impressive facility, so hopefully it all goes through OK!

RIGHT !!

I have just caught up with the latest posts on this thread, so allow me to place my credentials on here.  Thank you Peter, (Smudge), for your kind words.

Anybody who IS anybody in this League knows me well.

I have NEVER been afraid to disclose who I am.  I am John Rutley, 67 years old, married for many years and have lived in Dorking since 1958.

I have NO official position within the present Dorking F.C., at this time, though I have had in the past.  My eldest daughter and two grand-daughters are strongly connected with the Dorking Ladies, a team which I am proud to have helped to form after the demise of the Horley Ladies Reserve team.

I have very many thoughts on the way in which ways are going forward, but as a gentleman, I will keep them to myself but reserve the right to comment on here, as and when events occur.

I trust this meets with everyones approval.  If not, then I am easy to contact.

Regards. John B Rutley.  aka Big J.R.

Edited by Big J R

The whole place will be bulldozed, and good riddance to it, despite me spending a lot of my time there over the last 50 years the place is a dangerous rat ridden (of many types) disgraceful slum.

Would you care to elaborate please, Jeff ??

Well there are Rattus Norvegicus, and Chavitus Nogoodtous, at least.

I'm intrigued.  I know the brown rat from my latin days.  The other eludes me somewhat !