Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today

KShep

What a performance and what a result. This Fleet side has shown us attractive football on occasions this season, and on others, dogged tenacity. Today we combined both of them. When we did have the ball, we used it well, and when we lost possession we fought hard to win it back.

The goal we conceded was very soft- we backed off until Power had time and space enough to pick his spot. Apart from that, we were defensively solid. Sacha seems back to his heroic best, throwing himself in front of anything and everything. Hawkins and Smith both looked solid and Ricketts was as quiet and efficient as ever.

The midfield is starting to look very strong when on its day. All four today seemed reliable; all four offer something going forwards, and all four can hold their own defensively, some more than others. I was impressed that three out of four of them got the goals today. We've always said that it's better to rely on the many rather than the few for the goals and that's the case today.

As for the strikers? I think Luke Moore is still a bit too lightweight to be hugely effective, but if he is given space to run, pass or shoot, then he looks a dangerous player. There's been a lot of hype over John Akinde- it is all warranted. When Chukki came on for him at the end, it looked as if we had removed an experienced and talented player for a nervous youngster. Not only is his hold-up play spot-on, but his hard work in pressuring defenders and chasing the ball down is refreshing to see. He reminds me of Liam Hatch, although I hope we can keep hold of him for a bit longer than 'the beast'.

in the past ive been quick to criticise the way we play,in particular the hoof ball.Today we played good football, we passed the ball around, looked for the space to run into,we scored good goals,it could have been more,well done to all the players.Now i expect it every week, even if we dont win them all it will be entertaining,this and this alone will bring the crowds back.Well done.

The team today put in the kind of performance that we all need to praise and speak about this week. Get the crowds up and get behind the lads.

At stafford , I saw something in some of their eyes which hasnt been there for a while . Passion. Passion to play for the fleet.

John Akinde is one of the most thoughful players of his age I have seen at Stonebridge Road for years. He pressurises expierinced defenders forcing them to play longballs , he looks up . His hold up play is excellant and to hear his name from behiond the goal only lifts him.

Saturday could well turn into one of those games where the fleet come of age and stamp out their message that we are here for play offs and we are here now.

Three games in six days and I still want more. Best xmas for years

Originally Posted By: Yorkshire Fan
Im pleased to hear you saying they played well, considering it was in front of their largest home gate of the season so far (not counting friendlies) - I hope it rolls over to their gate on Saturday.

Are you a Grays fan ? "they" ? "their" ? I thought you were a Fleet fan courtesy of the MyFC b*llocks ? In which case it should be " we played well" & " our largest gate of the season"
.....or are you a Halifax fan really ?

Cheers,

Originally Posted By: Hirsty
Originally Posted By: Yorkshire Fan
Im pleased to hear you saying they played well, considering it was in front of their largest home gate of the season so far (not counting friendlies) - I hope it rolls over to their gate on Saturday.

Are you a Grays fan ? "they" ? "their" ? I thought you were a Fleet fan courtesy of the MyFC b*llocks ? In which case it should be " we played well" & " our largest gate of the season"
.....or are you a Halifax fan really ?

Cheers,

Yet if he described the Fleet as 'we', implying he was a fan, someone would crucify him for claiming to be a 'fan' from Yorkshire. He's either distancing himself unnecessarily, or claiming to be a part of something he has no right to be in, and can't win. Give it a break.

And back to the important point! RS I think you have it there; against Stafford, as time went on, and from the word 'go' today, they looked hungry and united. They would work for each other and really push themselves that extra few %.

As the point was made, this football should draw the crowds back in. 1368 today, thats at least 1100 Fleet fans and closer to 1200. We got a monkey off of our backs today by actually playing well and scoring goals in front of a big crowd- let's hope they're back for Saturday, versus a Weymouth side in a bad run of form, who could be there for the taking. Although this is Ebbsfleet, so expect an 800 crowd and a 4-1 loss...

Originally Posted By: KShep

We got a monkey off of our backs today by actually playing well and scoring goals in front of a big crowd- let's hope they're back for Saturday,

My brother-in-law came along for the first time since Cinderford in 1995 - said it was better than he thought it would be and while not likely to be a regular will be back a couple of times before the end of the season.

Free speech pal (well, limited these days anyway !!)!! Sorry to rock the MyFC boat but I thought that "we" were trying to eliminate the "us" & "them" situation ? So surely we are all "we" now ? whether we like it or not ?!( subject to Due Dillycaboodle or whatever !).

I still don't like the thought of fans of other Conference teams having a say in how we run our club/team/tactics etc.

If anyone can't win, then it's me my ol' china !!....but nearly having lost the will to live ( not to mention money !) after all this old sh*t, then I am not sure that I can be bothered to try & win anymore !!

I will continue to support my home town team in the future though, if not in person, then in spirit !! The club is bigger than the individual Brian !!

Over & out !

Cheers,

Complimentaries on what seemed to have been a good performance today.It is nice that Ebbsfleet scored more than one goal,and also nice to see the club on the smallest,but yet,runs of wins.

A more positive performance from the team I recon and long may it continue.

This was only my second game of the season and how pleased I was I managed to make it. There was some good football played amongst the hoofs from defence and the ball across to the left for Long's second (and our fourth) was pure quality, a superb finish as well. A big thanks to the Plough End for my welcome back song, I loved it! Bring on Dartford at home, I'm not going to miss that one for anything, even if it is only the KSC. Come on the Northfleet!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from Thurrock Gazette. Sounds fun............anyone with any news??

Ebbsfleet were ecstatic while Grays looked defeated. Matters weren't helped off the pitch by banter from the Ebbsfleet fans being met by a tirade of abuse from Grays chairman Mick Woodward that would, according to the rules at the New Rec, have seen him ejected from the ground.

Originally Posted By: Riverview Supporter
The team today put in the kind of performance that we all need to praise and speak about this week. Get the crowds up and get behind the lads.

At stafford , I saw something in some of their eyes which hasnt been there for a while . Passion. Passion to play for the fleet.

John Akinde is one of the most thoughful players of his age I have seen at Stonebridge Road for years. He pressurises expierinced defenders forcing them to play longballs , he looks up . His hold up play is excellant and to hear his name from behiond the goal only lifts him.

Saturday could well turn into one of those games where the fleet come of age and stamp out their message that we are here for play offs and we are here now.

Three games in six days and I still want more. Best xmas for years

Totally agree about Akinde.
He has rammed the doubts of those who thought he was better off the bench firmly back down their throats.
He clearly IS good enough, and he clearly IS fit enough.
He and Luke ran the defence ragged today, so much so, the Grays midfield had to play very deep to help out. He has awareness of those around him, good touch, but most importantly, does the simple things well. Doesn't over elaborate.
As a result our 4 midfielders were able to press forward at every opportunity - which is why we created so many chances.
It is Nade and Eribenne who look the weak links in the squad at present,

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary

Totally agree about Akinde.
He has rammed the doubts of those who thought he was better off the bench firmly back down their throats.
He clearly IS good enough, and he clearly IS fit enough.
He and Luke ran the defence ragged today, so much so, the Grays midfield had to play very deep to help out. He has awareness of those around him, good touch, but most importantly, does the simple things well. Doesn't over elaborate.
As a result our 4 midfielders were able to press forward at every opportunity - which is why we created so many chances.
It is Nade and Eribenne who look the weak links in the squad at present,

Its days like today that make me wish I wasn't living a plane+train ride away from Stonebridge Road - congrats to the team for an excellent performance and to the fans whose support came across on the commentary.

as for Akinde - he clearly has impressed. A word of caution - his is still very young and I would hope that Daish would take a long-term view in terms of his potential rather than a short-term fix. I would like to see him being brought along at a steady pace, get good coaching and be an asset to the club for years to come.

Originally Posted By: ifa
Quote from Thurrock Gazette. Sounds fun............anyone with any news??

Ebbsfleet were ecstatic while Grays looked defeated. Matters weren't helped off the pitch by banter from the Ebbsfleet fans being met by a tirade of abuse from Grays chairman Mick Woodward that would, according to the rules at the New Rec, have seen him ejected from the ground.

Proof that you can dress yourself up with a lot of money but you'll remain a thug at heart.

On a separate note, anyone else see ex-Fleet skipper and now Tonbridge manager Tommy Warrilow at the game? He seemed to have a small posse in tow with him!