Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today

KShep

Every goal today (including the Grays goal) was well taken.

Barrett's goal was almost like slow motion & I assume that Flitney didnt see it until late, as well as the placement right in the corner being excellent.

The second was great link up play, combined with a slick finish from Stacy.

Bostwick did well on the crucial 3rd - it would have been easy to hit a rushed 1st time shot when the ball found its way across to him, but instead he neatly dummied inside the defender before sliding a precise shot into the far corner.

And Stacy's finish for the 4th was sublime, following an excellent crossfield pass by George.

Bearing in mind that Grays had the league's best defensive record before today (still 2nd best), and we werent noted for our goalscoring, it was great to get a performance like todays.

It could even have been 5 as that move shortly after half time was worthy of the ball hitting the back of the net as well (it did of course hit the back of the net - unfortunately from behind the goal!).

Grays seemed to have gaping holes down their right today & most of our threat came from that area. They played some decent football themselves as well - but for all that, I dont recall Lance having 1 save to make other than the one they scored from.

Couldnt understand the ref's decisions at times yesterday - Hawkins booking wasc a yellow, but Akinde's?? The linesman was 5 yards away and didnt seem to flag for a free kick, yet the ref deemed the tackle worthy of a yellow. Akinde himself had been fouled regularly through the afternoon, yet the ref chose to ignore several challenges that were more worthy of yellow than Akinde's.

Add to that the foul on McPhee (or Bostwick?) in an almost identical spot to the Hawkins yellow, which was no different to Hawkins foul in many ways, yet the Grays player wasnt even spoken to.

All we ask of referees is consistency - yesterday, we certainly didnt get that.

Best Fleet performance I've seen in a long time. We played like a unit that believes in its collective ability to prevail over the opposition. We passed the ball with conviction; we outmuscled them in every area of the pitch &, even when Grays showed for 20 minutes or so at the start of the 2nd half that they are a very useful side, we dug in with a confidence & determination that made the jitters against Kidderminster seem like something suffered by a different team in a previous season.

Akinde was truly amazing on occasions today, with his strength taking him past, even through challenges, as if they weren't there. And to perform like this in front of a larger than anticpated crowd too - how un-Fleetlike is that? Next thing we know, we'll get another big crowd on Saturday & turn it on again.

....OK, let's not get silly, now. Feet on the ground, chaps.

Graham S

still enormous and still good he was my manager/coach a couple of years back at my teenage club sutton dynamos (mates with his son to)

i think neil barret had a smashing game and he scored, chris mcphee was unlucky (what an exciting player)bostwick,s powerful shot(sometimes to powerful!)back 4 had a tremendaus game (sasha puts his head most players wouldn't put thier heads, fantastic player)stcy cant get any better shorly luke play quite well bit to lazy though (needs to play to the whistle)botn subs coleman and goergie were very good (why dont goergie get a starting line up such a good player

with that team we make it

believe in it , we might just se it!!

Originally Posted By: Riverview Supporter

At stafford , I saw something in some of their eyes which hasnt been there for a while . Passion. Passion to play for the fleet.

Is it possible that what you see in there eyes, was realization that the transfer markets is now open and they could lose there place in the team,and be replaced, if the Myfc monies comes through ?
just being cynical really! the question had to be asked

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
It is Nade and Eribenne who look the weak links in the squad at present

Any chance they could be moved during the transfer window? Yes, their value is low, but they could be sold as players who needed a "change of scenery." Plus, I think they are among the higher paid players currently, so even a free transfer would clear up money for our transfers in.

Unless Liam is successful in bringing two more strikers, we'll need Chukki and Nade. It's a squad game. Just because Akinde is firing on all cylinders now doesn't mean we should dispose of any strikers unless there are replacements in the pipeline.

Originally Posted By: Friejose
It is Nade and Eribenne who look the weak links in the squad at present

Any chance they could be moved during the transfer window? Yes, their value is low, but they could be sold as players who needed a "change of scenery." Plus, I think they are among the higher paid players currently, so even a free transfer would clear up money for our transfers in.

Why would you want to get rid of them? You THINK they are higher paid? What happends if a striker gets injured?
And surely, once DD is over - money for wages will be only a minor consideration?

It is Nade and Eribenne who look the weak links in the squad at present,

An interesting suggestion! Ignore the fact that neither played a single minute against Stafford and only Chukki came on for the briefest of Cameos yesterday! Also, I assume your comment ignores the recent poor performances of Moore (which you have missed). He was substituted for the first time in what seems like an eternity today and should have been against Stafford on Saturday for a most vapid performance. Only Long and McPhee have started more games this season, despite Moore's habit of being more inconsistent than West Ham.

Originally Posted By: PatMan
Why would you want to get rid of them? You THINK they are higher paid? What happends if a striker gets injured?
And surely, once DD is over - money for wages will be only a minor consideration?

You'd move them only if Liam could get players of better quality and/or value. Obviously. I wasn't saying to dump them unceremoniously, with no plan, no matter what. But if their recent poor form is symptomic of larger problems, why shouldn't we at least consider moving them if we can get something of value during the transfer window to replace them?

Money for wages will always be a consideration. Just because more money exists doesn't mean you spend it willy-nilly. You still have to spend wisely. Again, obviously.

God only knows what Bernard's favoured side would be!

2-6-2 , Nade and Eribenne up front, with 5 left backs on the bench.

Fortunanely, Daish appears to have seen the light, recognised what many of have also seen, that Akinde has a lot of pootential, and whilst nowhere near the finished article, at least deserves his starting place.

Perhaps their ommission of late will give both Nade and Chukki a kick up their complacency.

Fortunanely, Daish appears to have seen the light, recognised what many of have also seen, that Akinde has a lot of pootential, and whilst nowhere near the finished article, at least deserves his starting place.

It's hardly a case of "seen the light". Akinde is 18 with no real claim to a starting place when he joined the squad in August. He went out on loan (where by all accounts he was no great shakes) to gain experience. He was eased into first-team action within weeks of coming back off loan with a couple of games off the bench, scored a few in minor competition, has playes a couple of blinders and was rewarded with a starting place in the last two matches and has kept his place on merit.

That timeframe seems to me to be sensible football management and not at all a case of the manager holding the player back as, since Sodje, you seem so fond of accusing him of!

Three of us Exeter Exiles decided to bury our sorrows from the 12 o'clock kick off by nipping up the Fleet and were very pleasantly surprised. Good game with a lot of good football.

We are just about to come into a few quid, legit, when Jamie Mackie goes down the A38 and we could do worse than try to prise Stacey Long away, or even the boy Akinde. Cronin is out of contract soon as well.

Seriously, even before you sell your souls to the devil, I think you have the makings of a play off challenge, perhaps even more than us once Mackie goes Scum.

Regarding Moore, Bernard was at Stafford. You weren't. Says it all really.

Akinde has been a revelation, but has so far been fortunate not to have to miss games due to being injured, which unfortunately both Chukki and Nade have had to contend with. Possibly both have come back too soon.

Originally Posted By: kmj
Regarding Moore, Bernard was at Stafford. You weren't. Says it all really.

All it says is that he was at Stafford and I was working!
Been down this road before.
Listened to the game (or most of it), read lots of reports from both viewpoints. Just because I wasn't there doesn't mean I cannot voice an opinion.
This used to be a forum for such things.