Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Edgware Update

lovely stuff

Originally Posted By: Steph
Number 4 was booked for rushing up and pushing, I think it was either Kofi or Deane, for a foul on the half way line.

He ran all of 50 yards just to get involved. When the Enfield player did not respond he tried to walk away from the incident but the ref had to book him and I would not have been surprised if he had been shown a red. Jones was probably correctly booked

(Foster was not playing but as you dont see the team that often you can be excused). I think you are referring to the incident above and you are right the booking was deserved.

I dont know about Hammett's booking late on. It seemed an innocuous foul - more clumsiness and it was not as though it was in a dangerous part of the pitch. I thought the ref had a good game and you are right there should have been an earlier penalty when there was blatant hand ball by one of their players. But that happens in football.

For most of the game yesterday I felt that we were really on top and deserved the lead and should have scored 2 or 3 more before that last ten minutes when I do agree my nerves were jangling a bit.

Edgware's faciliities are poor and it does explain their poor attendance record.

Sorry Steph - but I did mean Foster ! Andre Foster! He WAS booked in the penalty incident. You don't see me very often so you are excused....

By the way - the support by the Towners was brilliant and the infantile attitude showed by the couple of numpties on the far side was, well.... infantile.

Thanks to all the Towners who made us so welcome and thanks to Edware for not having anywhere enough programmes and the worst organised facilities so we could not even get a hot drink at half time.

I was one of the two 'numpties' if its being infatile to sing for you team for 90 mins then so be it. I would much rather be called a numptie then a so called supporter who only raised their voice when you scored.

You are right though about the lack of programmes and food, that was a poor show.

I had the Enfield goal scorer name incorrect and thats why its not correct in todays NLP report, but I have addresed that in my blog report.

You carry on matey, when we played you, some one said "listen to them twats over there" I said I'd have 20 of them twats every week at the Abbey. I know in the past we have played at places on a cold Tuesday night miles from anywhere and the players have come off and said they appreciated that we turned up and that they weren't on their own out there.

We did laugh when you sang theres more noise in an Abbey library! To be fair theres more life in the cemetry!!

Quote:
I'd have 20 of them twats every week at the Abbey

From what i recall,you had exactly that (when you were briefly top of the league for a few months -several seasons back).Ignoring the fact that most of them were either your own youth or reserve teamers,they did create a good atmosphere for that half of a season.

Where did they go? A lack of real longterm interest or an increase in ASBO's in Hertforshire area? Who knows?

Does that big bald bloke still go?

Here is our penalty and their one is also on there plus a few more clips should go on tomorrow

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t1i65GASGoY

In response to a couple of posts towards the start of this thread, I think it's overstepping the mark to suggest that Town’s support was truly awful. I for one am not embarrassed at bringing as many fans to away games as we do, and whilst it would be nice to hear a bit more chanting, it’s not the be all and end all of supporting your team. Not that I’m knocking the Edgware choir’s contribution, it made for a good atmosphere, was quite amusing and certainly added to the game. Personally, I’m quite happy to get along to matches and shout encouragement to the players, and I’m sure that they appreciate this in the most part.

Anyway, onto the match, as I commented to the people I was with, after the first 30 minutes, I couldn’t believe that Edgware had the best defensive record in the league, as the game was probably the most open I’ve seen all season, with some excellent chances for both sides. Great run from Kofi for the goal, and a good header from Deane, although was he really trying to head it back across the goal? After that, all hell broke loose, and there were chances galore for both sides, we might have had a pen for handball, although it would have been a little harsh, 2 missed pens and at least one sitter missed by each side. It really was rather entertaining stuff, and after 45 minutes, I thought we shaded things and were just about worth our one goal lead.

The second half was much more like one way traffic, and we seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure, relying on Deane’s pace to counterattack (the more I see of him, the more I like, so let’s hope he carries on this form for the rest of the season). It’s pretty clear that Edgware are a decent side, and I was impressed with a couple of their midfielders, who from memory didn’t waste a pass once. For a period of about 10 minutes towards the end of the game we hardly got out of our half, as we just couldn’t get the ball. That said, we defended excellently as a team, and I can’t remember more than one clear chance that fell to the hosts (the one that was blazed over the bar), so really it’s not about pressure and possession, it’s what you do with it that counts. I don’t doubt that if Edgware had been 1 goal up at half time that it would have been role reversal, and they’d have been sitting back defending their lead whilst we pressed for an equaliser.

I can’t praise Heald, Tickner and Harvey enough for their efforts in this game, and I’m glad that one of them got MoM, I lost count of the number of blocks, headers and tackles they made and at times, we defended like our lives depended on it. I’m sure this is the type of commitment that some people on here think is lacking – I just hope that we can maintain this type of performance, and that it’s not just a one off. I was very impressed with Kofi and Jones in midfield as well and they both did their share of hard work and defending, especially in the second half. If I’ve got one complaint, it would be that Jones seems to dive in when it’s not needed. The booking he picked up in the first 10 minutes was the most pointless thing ever, and about 10 minutes later, he went to stand in front of the ball for an Edgware free kick to slow the game down, realised that it would mean a second yellow, moved away, enabling them to break which in turn led to their penalty. Jones is fast winning me over, and since his return has looked like a different player, we need him available, and not serving suspensions, so if you’re reading this, please think twice before making rash challenges ;-)

All in all, a good day at the office, but if we’re serious about getting a play off place (or better), this can’t be a one-off, we need to show this sort of will to win for the rest of the season against all opponents. There are no easy games in this league at all, so we need our big players to have big games and take responsibility from now on.

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Quote:
I'd have 20 of them twats every week at the Abbey

From what i recall,you had exactly that (when you were briefly top of the league for a few months -several seasons back).Ignoring the fact that most of them were either your own youth or reserve teamers,they did create a good atmosphere for that half of a season.
Where did they go? A lack of real longterm interest or an increase in ASBO's in Hertforshire area? Who knows?
Does that big bald bloke still go?

We would get more support but it the ref's fault we ain't got a cover at the allotment end........

And on a real note, most of them were mates of players and as you said players at the club. The team broke up a bit and so did the support. The bald bloke plays golf now instead..

It's pretty soul destroying really when we have so much potential but no support to help it...never mind, if the business plan comes in Friday night maybe things will change....

On a serious note, it is a shame what has happened at Abbey. There was a good young side that could have progressed nicely.

On a more light note, you have to blame AFC Hornchurch/AFC Player theft for the demise of Abbey and the loss of all the players. Those b4stard Urchins are a real pain in the backside!