Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Yorkshire Fan
Let's face it, we were always going to lose him at some point since we told Fry where to go (and told other league clubs what to bid - more or less). I hope we can stick a clause in to loan him back immediately until the end of the season.

that's what we must do, stick a clause on him. If he moves on for larger amounts of money, then we can get a nice sum of money. Sell on clause should be 25-30%.

Originally Posted By: Hannah
Apparently there were Chelsea scouts at the Lewes game, and the offer came in a day or two later. Could be speculation though.

I bet it is them. It won't be a tinpot league club if they are offering to pay more if he performs well.

This Beeb article mentions Chelsea scouts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gravesend_and_northfleet/7585165.stm

My money is on Millwall making a bid though. (Did Big John play in the pre-season friendly?)

1. Football is a business, John Akimde (not to the fans) is a commodity and it is the Clubs duty to get the best(as it seems as if he wants away) deal they can. With small attendances, the reality is the Club will always be a breeding ground for League Clubs!

2. I strongly applaud the fans that have tried to raise the awareness of the Club in the town centre, but, when will people wake up and realise the majority of people in Gravesham couldn't give a damn whether they have a Football Club, let alone a League Club, in their area!

3.The Club themselves may well have alienated a number of people by changing its name to Ebbsfleet(a Town that isn't built yet), in the forelorn hope that the people who move there will "See the Light" and become instant Fleet fans. As these people will probably be from all over the South, and maybe the Country, chances are they will already have allegiances to other Clubs. Granted there might be a small number who are curious after all the hype of late, but as has been proved in the past(with the moments of success), they tend not to stay for long.

4.Promotion to the League will probably (Nobody would love to see the Fleet as a League Club more than me!) be an unmitigated disaster. Everyone knows the present attendances could not support the extra expenses needed and promotion would not guarantee the bigger Gates that would be needed. Once again there would probably be a short term small rise in numbers through the turnstiles.

5. Can the Club afford a new Stadium? I can't see how they could possibly own a Stadium, so that leaves the reality of paying rent, much higher than they are paying now! Would a new Stadium increase attendances? The same answer applies, probably on the short term!

6. MyFC came along with all their promises(their own members seem to be realising now, that very little, if any of them have been met),instead of settling the debt, they have increased it,, even though that was one of the strongest things they promised would not happen!

7.Reality is, that the Club should be trying to survive where they are, rather than looking over the fence at the green grass of League Football next door!

I know I am percieved as a "Doom Monger", but I know(especially in this financial climate), that if I open my wallet and don't have the money to buy something............I don't buy it!

If you don't believe there might be some truth in this statement, just look at League Clubs with small attendances, Luton, Wimbledon and to some extent Reading and Wigan(great kudos to both of those Clubs for what they achieved), who were playing above their means,to see the trouble they are in now!

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
4.Promotion to the League will probably (Nobody would love to see the Fleet as a League Club more than me!) be an unmitigated disaster. Everyone knows the present attendances could not support the extra expenses needed and promotion would not guarantee the bigger Gates that would be needed. Once again there would probably be a short term small rise in numbers through the turnstiles.

Glad you agree.

5. Can the Club afford a new Stadium? I can't see how they could possibly own a Stadium, so that leaves the reality of paying rent, much higher than they are paying now! Would a new Stadium increase attendances? The same answer applies, probably on the short term!

It is my opinion that with the current standard of Stonebridge Road, a change in venue is more a case of when rather than if. The lease on the land Stonebridge Road is on runs out in a few years, and with recent developments in the area a new lease would cost significantly more. It's prime land afterall for building on. A new stadium would increase the attendances at the start, but would also support the team in the years to come. Let's be honest, as much as I love it, Stonebridge Road has had its day. By using a Gravesham initiative in a stadium shared with other primary users, it is my understanding that we would be able to share the cost. The move of the Fleet to a new stadium (or serious modifications to the current one) is necessary soon. (I'm not defining soon as within the next couple of years, rather something like within 10 years)

American Fleet fan - I think that you would be happier if we were in the Kent League playing Crockenhill in front of 300 every week. Nice and safe and going nowhere. Whilst you are right to raise the dangers for God sake keep some ambition in your musings. If you don't aim high you get nowhere - You might not make your ultimate goal but sometines getting halfway there is still pretty good - about where weare getting now.

Have you thought that IF we get to the Football League, attendences might go up.

Originally Posted By: eufckev

Have you thought that IF we get to the Football League, attendences might go up.

Yes.

Originally Posted By: YateYob
Apparently Bristol City are the club, Akinde is in talks with Gary Johnson today.

Can you tell me about him e.g. type of player, size, build, strengths.

Many thanks

YY

He's a big strong lad, built like a mountain. Never gives up and keeps chasing the ball.

Search you tube for "John Akinde" "FA Trophy" "Ebbsfleet United" and "Chris McPhee"

2. I strongly applaud the fans that have tried to raise the awareness of the Club in the town centre, but, when will people wake up and realise the majority of people in Gravesham couldn't give a damn whether they have a Football Club, let alone a League Club, in their area!

Does that mean that we should just roll over and die?