Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: behindthegoal
American Fleet fan - I think that you would be happier if we were in the Kent League playing Crockenhill in front of 300 every week. Nice and safe and going nowhere. Whilst you are right to raise the dangers for God sake keep some ambition in your musings. If you don't aim high you get nowhere - You might not make your ultimate goal but sometines getting halfway there is still pretty good - about where weare getting now.

Certainly can't call him a glory hunter! Perhaps just someone who wants to see the club still alive in 10 years. Better to have a few seasons of uninteresting football if it means that one day I'll be able to take my kids to see the Fleet, than for a memorable couple of seasons and a full stop on the end of the Fleet history. The same as everyone I want the club to be succesful, we all do, but I don't see going bust as an acceptable cost for that success. Better to have a few uninteresting seasons, you know like most clubs have, than to burn up in the fires of glory.

That's the thing a lot of people don't know who Ebbsfleet United are... I never used to seven years ago. It's only when my dad took me to a game I got in the swing of watching and supporting my local side.

If we were to get League status, I believe the people of Gravesham and the rest of North Kent will then know who we are and hear more of us. League Two and above are always mentioned in every newspaper, the sports news channels etc - The BSP isn't.

HJA you could add that he sems to have good peripheral vision, great awareness of where other players are and accuracy in his passing. On Saturday his cross to Luke Moore was pinpoint (although Luke got the ball caught under his feet), the pass to Kezie Ibe for the fourth goal was spot on and his back-heeled goal was right into the corner of the net although he had his back to it.

Originally Posted By: YateYob
Apparently Bristol City are the club, Akinde is in talks with Gary Johnson today.

Can you tell me about him e.g. type of player, size, build, strengths.

Many thanks

YY

He's a big, strong creative targetman - can finish but always looking to bring others into the game. Where ever he ends up I'm sure he will be a success once he learns his trade a bit more.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
Originally Posted By: YateYob
Apparently Bristol City are the club, Akinde is in talks with Gary Johnson today.

Can you tell me about him e.g. type of player, size, build, strengths.

Many thanks

YY

He's a big strong lad, built like a mountain. Never gives up and keeps chasing the ball.

Search you tube for "John Akinde" "FA Trophy" "Ebbsfleet United" and "Chris McPhee"

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

So he is obviously 6ft plus? Would you describe him as a target man? Were looking for an understudy to learn from Dele Adebola.

He's the cleverest tank I've ever seen on a football pitch.

Albeit different in size to Leo Messi, John reminds me of him because he plays so simply and effortlessly- he can beat man after man without throwing stepovers. As mentioned, he's unselfish and will run himself ragged for the cause- Aldershot at home springs to mind, where he was taken off, literally exhausted. Similar to Rooney in how he sees it as his responsibility to aggressively defend from the front. Sharp finishing, great target man, quality dribbler, impressive attitude- the most promising player I've seen in my time as a Fleet fan!

AFF, you make some good points but I was disappointed by this one:

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1

2. I strongly applaud the fans that have tried to raise the awareness of the Club in the town centre, but, when will people wake up and realise the majority of people in Gravesham couldn't give a damn whether they have a Football Club, let alone a League Club, in their area!

I think the people who are doing it know that it may not be very effective but it's something positive - and at least it gets the Fleet in peoples minds a bit more. I remember people here would complain that the Fleet is poorly advertised, well here are some people willing to help with that. As Kev said, he didn't know about the club until he went and that's the same as me. Every little helps, as Tescos would say. wink

Originally Posted By: eufckev
Originally Posted By: bsmith
Better to have a few uninteresting seasons, you know like most clubs have, than to burn up in the fires of glory.

But it's those "few uninteresting seasons" that will drive fans away.

That's glory hunters for you, a team can't win every season unless you have the finance to support it. Look at the Premiership, only the rich clubs succeed, the other clubs don't seem to do bad for attendance. Look at the Conference, teams like Altrincham do fine, they keep a tidy attendance and don't go overboard on spending. How can anyone in Kent not be aware of the team with the amount of press made in the last 2 years. I was talking to someone from Leeds yesterday who had a superb knowledge of EUFC, MyFC and the Conference despite not supporting any team in the league or having anything to do with them. Promotion isn't going to make anyone more aware of us than the FA Trophy win.

Originally Posted By: eufckev
Better to have a few uninteresting seasons, you know like most clubs have, than to burn up in the fires of glory.

But it's those "few uninteresting seasons" that will drive fans away.

That's glory hunters for you, a team can't win every season unless you have the finance to support it. Look at the Premiership, only the rich clubs succeed, the other clubs don't seem to do bad for attendance. Look at the Conference, teams like Altrincham do fine, they keep a tidy attendance and don't go overboard on spending. How can anyone in Kent not be aware of the team with the amount of press made in the last 2 years. I was talking to someone from Leeds yesterday who had a superb knowledge of EUFC, MyFC and the Conference despite not supporting any team in the league or having anything to do with them. Promotion isn't going to make anyone more aware of us than the FA Trophy win.

Altrincham do fine? They've been relegated past 2 seasons, only reason they are in this league is because of the misfortune of others.

Originally Posted By: behindthegoal
American Fleet fan - I think that you would be happier if we were in the Kent League playing Crockenhill in front of 300 every week. Nice and safe and going nowhere. Whilst you are right to raise the dangers for God sake keep some ambition in your musings. If you don't aim high you get nowhere - You might not make your ultimate goal but sometines getting halfway there is still pretty good - about where weare getting now.

If it meant the Club surviving..........Yes to the Kent League!
Halfway to nowhere is better than nowhere.
Having been a long time supporter of the Club, I have always had ambition, but you have to pay for ambition and the price is probably more than the Club will ever have!

4.Promotion to the League will probably (Nobody would love to see the Fleet as a League Club more than me!) be an unmitigated disaster. Everyone knows the present attendances could not support the extra expenses needed and promotion would not guarantee the bigger Gates that would be needed. Once again there would probably be a short term small rise in numbers through the turnstiles.

Glad you agree.

5. Can the Club afford a new Stadium? I can't see how they could possibly own a Stadium, so that leaves the reality of paying rent, much higher than they are paying now! Would a new Stadium increase attendances? The same answer applies, probably on the short term!

It is my opinion that with the current standard of Stonebridge Road, a change in venue is more a case of when rather than if. The lease on the land Stonebridge Road is on runs out in a few years, and with recent developments in the area a new lease would cost significantly more. It's prime land afterall for building on. A new stadium would increase the attendances at the start, but would also support the team in the years to come. Let's be honest, as much as I love it, Stonebridge Road has had its day. By using a Gravesham initiative in a stadium shared with other primary users, it is my understanding that we would be able to share the cost. The move of the Fleet to a new stadium (or serious modifications to the current one) is necessary soon. (I'm not defining soon as within the next couple of years, rather something like within 10 years)

I agree, but all building land is Prime Land, including the proposed site for a new Stadium.
As for sharing the costs with another party, who are they and what is their sport/interest?
Is it going to be a Rugby Club and end up with a pitch as bad as Wigans?

Without playing to finish as high in the league as you can, then there would be no passion, so boredom sets in, and down the league we go. The clubs got to have some sort of ambition and passion to survive. In saying that we need a few top of the table type seasons, hopefully encouraging more support, and putting the club into a stronger position before we entertain promotion.

I do wonder how other teams survive in this league, Teams like Torquay attract about a thousand more supporters a week more than us, but run a far better ground, bring in more experienced staff, and more expensive players. That cannot be done on a thousand fans a week surely, they either have brilliant backers, or really good with there marketing.

Originally Posted By: BustaGut
Without playing to finish as high in the league as you can, then there would be no passion, so boredom sets in, and down the league we go. The clubs got to have some sort of ambition and passion to survive. In saying that we need a few top of the table type seasons, hopefully encouraging more support, and putting the club into a stronger position before we entertain promotion.
I do wonder how other teams survive in this league, Teams like Torquay attract about a thousand more supporters a week more than us, but run a far better ground, bring in more experienced staff, and more expensive players. That cannot be done on a thousand fans a week surely, they either have brilliant backers, or really good with there marketing.
They don't have much competition, unlike The Fleet with all the London Clubs!
Their ameneities were in place from their League days(which with small attendances they were unable to maintain!) and an extra 14'000 quid from home attendances(loosely assuming they are all adults) goes a long way.