Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The only thing John should consider, if hes given the opportunity, is whether he'll simply be benchwarming at best, or playing regularly. I think back to 2 other players who've left us in the past 30 years to go to higher clubs.

Lee Smelt (goalkeeper) made the mistake of going to Euro Champions , Nottingham Forest, in the 80's rather than opting for a slightly lower level club - he barely got a look in there, and gradually slipped down the leagues. Jimmy Bullard is the only other that comes to mind - when he left us, he went to West Ham and didnt get a game until he was released, dropped down the leagues, and built himself back up again from a starting point of Peterborough.

Going somewhere he wont play regularly would do John no good whatsoever & he should bear this in mind.

I think we should sell, seems we need the money. But in John going we need to get someone else in.

Originally Posted By: bsmith
Sell him, take the money. Live to fight another day. It's what I would do, at this moment we shouldn't be concerned about pushing for promotion when we can't even support the current standard of football. We're running at a massive deficit, and until this is recitified we need to minimise our debt. Going for glory is all well and good, as long as it's achievable glory. If we get promoted in our current situation it'll be the end of the club.

Aiming for promotion wont kill us, in fact we need it to get the large influx of fans. Its either that or part time football, bottom half of the conference, and from there its downhill.

Originally Posted By: Gordon T
Aiming for promotion wont kill us, in fact we need it to get the large influx of fans. Its either that or part time football, bottom half of the conference, and from there its downhill.

No, but getting promoted will, that's my point. If the current financial situation cannot support the level of football, it certainly won't be able to support a bout in the Football League. You would have thought winning at Wembley would get us a large influx of fans (actually you wouldn't, but you get my point), if winning the FA Trophy in one of the finest stadiums in the world doesn't get the fans coming in, I fail to see how a promotion will get us sufficient support, not only to operate against the current costs but against the significantly higher costs operating in the league above. Part-time football is better than no football at all. It's important for a team to find its level, while like everyone I share the same glory ambitions for the team as everyone, I don't want a couple of years of glory at the expense of the club of going bust. Far better in my view, to try and survive until the new stadium is built, which should see an influx of fans as the worsening condition of the current stadium won't act as a deterrent, and the local people will turn out to see the new stadium, with some getting hooked.

sell sell sell

on the finance issue, the equation is simple, play well and do well in the league and attendances will go up. finding our level? what a load of rubbish. the level of a football club is as high and as ambitiuous as they want it to be. if you look at any club who have played in big cup finals and taken alot of support its the same old story. the previous year to us both Kiddy and Satanage took large support, the following season both attendances back to the same level they were in previous seasons. the only way to get people coming back consistently is by playing at a higher level. promotion