Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Queen Elizabeth Stadium - Latest

Duke of York

'Galaxy of athletics stars in favour of getting stadium back on track'

It was good to read Lynne's letter in this weeks Gazette along with a letter from M. Doyle calling on the council to support Enfield Town FC's proposals for the future use of the Queen Elizabeth Stadium. They both made some very valid points but it looks like their comments may fall on deaf ears.

The Friends of Enfield Playing Fields in coalition with Enfield 1893 FC and Enfield Ingnatians RFC have mobilised and organised themselves well to become the leading voices in opposition to ETFC's proposal. On page 12 of the paper the article states that the 3,000 former users of the site have signed a plan to support the groups recommendations for the shared use of the stadium with the running track maintained.

If the stadium does become a shared facility, will Enfield Town FC be made welcome? Enfield Council will make their decision on the futur of the stadium on October 8th.

All this proves is that there is a battle between two set of views.

We also had a local newspaper vote on who should occupy the Stadium, Multi users or ETFC. 84% of 10,000+ votes, voted that it should be a footy only Stadium.

What annoys me as a life long Enfieldian, born and educated in the borough for over 43 years is the battle of wits between the 2 'Enfields' as a merger would make us more powerful, however, those against a merger obviously hold a personal 'gain' motive and vested interests for themselves.

A merger would be the "obvious" solution.

One ground, One team, One group of Supporters - hey, just like the old EFC days !!

However, it would seem a million miles away as the two Clubs are run in such different ways.

As for ETFC having a possible ground with a running track - shouldn't the supporters / members, be given a voice by voting on the issue.

My own view is that we would be better off investing our energy into a better Brimo if the Council insist on a QE joint usage.

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
As for ETFC having a possible ground with a running track - shouldn't the supporters / members, be given a voice by voting on the issue.

My own view is that we would be better off investing our energy into a better Brimo if the Council insist on a QE joint usage.

Well said - on both counts!

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
It'll be complicated to get the views of all the fans/supporters.

The only way us supporters/members should be involved is to vote on our elected boards proposals, if it came to that, nothing should be signed or rubber stamped before members approval.

Personally, I want us out of Brimmo and in a more central position.

Yer, central - as in the middle of a running track ??

We all know that petitions don't always work. Over 4000 people signed a petition for the Southbury Road stadium to be saved and look where that got us, and I'm talking about football in Enfield, not ETFC. I even have a copy of the Gazette with a front page with over 400 names on it asking the Council to save the stadium.

It's interesting to note that Joan Ryan is on the case seemingly in favour a track.

I just thinking that a track will remain with a football pitch in the middle with a take it or leave it offer.

I have thought about this a great deal and this is the first time that I have posted about whether I would support a team which had a ground within an athletics track.

I would not support a club which played its football within an athletics track. It doesn't work. There is no atmosphere and the players are left isolated without decent support.

If it was a choice of "Take it or leave it" my own opinion is leave it and develop Brimmo. It has been demonstrated that athletics cannot stand on its own two feet when there are too many stadia.

How many posters on this board have actually gone to an athletic league meeting or gone to any meeting after they left school.

If Donkey Lane retains its athletic facility in ten years time the stadium will be run down again with the local authority putting more money into it.

Forgive my continuing rant but didn't the Barras stadium in Edmonton have an athletics track which was not used. The athletic track at Broomfield Park has now been dug up.

Like it or not there is no public demand for athletic stadia and the demand whipped up by the local residents is merely a wish to be left alone without a popular facility spoiling their peaceful surroundings every other Saturday in winter. I am sorry for them to some extent but in this case the majority will must prevail.

There is a demand for a good footy stadium which can be, and was for 100 years, self financing.

"It's interesting to note that Joan Ryan is on the case seemingly in favour a track."

She is a woman who cannot make up her mind.

18 months ago she nominated the current leader of the Labour Party and joined his government. Now she says he is not up to the job.

She lets down her sex badly as she conforms to a stereotype.

ie "not knowing what she wants".

Mrs Ryan has realised that she has a good chance of being unemployed after the next election. She probably hopes a shiny new leader may save her. I trust her actions are not just 'looking after herself' and she is looking after the interests of all her constituents....juts like she has before by voting with her government on every sinlge issue.

By the way, is she not a member of ETFC supporters trust? Or was? Did she not come to games? Has she defected to EFC?

Great post soppy made me laugh too .

Invis, some of the field events can be moved to other parts of the site I believe there is sufficient room. I would think its mostly for running anyway . Joan Ryan appears to be for the Athletics more than Town now . If we dont get in then we must go for a full takeover of brimsdown A S A P and develop that instead . This club cannot surely accept a ground with a running track . Its just not us somehow .

Ah, I see, thanks for that OOT. But isn't there a 'proper' standard athletics facility at Picketts Lock? I know we have discussed this before, but I really can't see the logic of, or justification for, two athletics facilties in one borough especially when there is no major football stadium!

Of course the athletics lobby, if indeed there really is one, which I doubt, are on a a bit of a winner at the moment, with all the hype following the successful Olympics. However as as been said above and repeatedly before, athletics is not a major spectator sport and large stadia cannot be justified. Facilities for participation certainly, but not empty stands for non-existent spectators.

If the Council feel that it is in its best interests to have a refurbished track with a football pitch in the middle, then that's what it will recommend and no doubt do on 8 October.

The Council will then need to find a willing partner who wants to play within a track. Just hope that discus, shot and hammers don't rain down on the pitch as they tend to leave very large holes!

The facility could become sustainable without a track, couldn't it and so it wouldn't become the 'real issue' after 2012 and this is something 'our' club wanted in the first place and was communicated to its members.

The more I read, the more I believe a refurbished track will be laid.