Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Woking

bsmith

Originally Posted By: Hempstead Gaz
A massive debt of gratitude and a huge well done to Ian Docker and Macca, we are now getting the benefit of the PASE setup, genuine prospects challenging for the first team.
Even if they don't have a long Fleet career (like Akinde) their impact on the club will be felt for a long time (in financial terms).

We could have a problem coming up though Gaz, over the past few years the pick of the PASE boys have been kept on by the club.
It has always been the best one or two who get the chance and although not all of them have made it we have certainly done well out of the PASE boys.
So whats the problem? I know that you where at the boys cup final last season Gaz and so was I, most of those lads where first year PASE boys and they will be finishing their course next summer, there won't be one or two pushing for a place there will be five or six who are too good to not offer contracts to.
We would be absolutely stupid to let players like Callander, Nowotny, Turbine, Springett or French go but how the hell can we accomodate all of them?

It is a better problem than having no talent coming through but it will still be a problem.

I don't have the answer, Slarti, I only wish I did.

Reserve league - perhaps, but it will cost money which the club can ill afford.

How to keep a first team squad of 20+ happy? Haven't got the answer to that either.

One thing is for sure. We HAVE found a production line of some very talented youngsters who have proved themselves capable of playing at Conference or a higher level, which is a testament to the club, and Ian Docker and Macca in particular.

Perhaps we could use a club from a lower league (Margate? as a "feeder" club) both sides would benefit.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast

We could have a problem coming up though Gaz, over the past few years the pick of the PASE boys have been kept on by the club.
It has always been the best one or two who get the chance and although not all of them have made it we have certainly done well out of the PASE boys.
So whats the problem? I know that you where at the boys cup final last season Gaz and so was I, most of those lads where first year PASE boys and they will be finishing their course next summer, there won't be one or two pushing for a place there will be five or six who are too good to not offer contracts to.
We would be absolutely stupid to let players like Callander, Nowotny, Turbine, Springett or French go but how the hell can we accomodate all of them?

It is a better problem than having no talent coming through but it will still be a problem.

Slarti

Have you not just gone a long way to solving the Clubs long term financial problems? In the future why should the Club pay seasoned professional's if they can field half a team of PASE player graduates on half the wages or less of seasoned pro's.

As a point of interest, there was an article on Sky at the weekend about how the Wallsall squad consists of 10 players that have come up through their youth ranks. They have chosen to do it this way due to finances. They blend these youngsters with a few seasoned pro's.

I can see the benefit to the club if this were to happen, but to remain competitive, we would only be on a level playing field if the other top conference clubs were to do the same - just can't see that happening.

There might come a time in the near future when MYFC aren't around (next year?) when the first team squad needs to be trimmed from it's current 20 or so to around 16, with the gaps filled with the more promising and mature PASE players. There are presently at least 2 or 3 who would hold their own in the conference, so whilst I cannot see it happening this year, it is certainly a thought that must be seriously considered by the board for next year, especially if funding is tight.

I think the issue would be that while there maybe half a dozen that could be good enough to fit into a Conference team individualy, collectively they would probably struggle.

You could quite likely fit one or two into the side and expect them to perform well but not all at once.

We need to be able to afford to give these lads contracts and fit them into the side when they are ready not when finances force us.

Couldn't agree more Slarti (Whatever next confused )! Listening to Appiahs arrival on Saturday, I couldn't help wondering if he would have been as effective if he had started the match. A few subs appearances, then blend him into the team, when Liam thinks the time is right, seems a good policy for the future of any of the PASE players!

Originally Posted By: joshyv
I think that in some games we should have some PASE boys on the bench, and if we're winning by a few, give them a go.

And if we are loosin , then what?

Its a very fine balance. Liam got it right with John by phasing him in during KSC games , travelling with the squad before giving hima few run outs as a sub.