Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

An Open Post

enfieldiansr

Hi all

This I posted first on the Enfield 1893 group discussion under "Chatting with ETFC". It is here to be pondered upon.

I think it is about time for another post from me. I can see with the current posts that the slagging, knife and hatchet are still prevalent. Ladies and gentlemen for pity's sake stop this. Take at look at yourselves and ask this one vital question, "Do we want to be a powerhouse again in Non League Football?"

I have a proposal which both clubs should ponder. That is both clubs arbitrate over the merger. An agenda made up of the following:-

1. The name of the club should be AFC Enfield.

2. The Club should be registered as a private limited club thereby not having to deal with the Stock Exchange.

3. The board to be made up from both existing clubs with Chairman and Vice Chairman coming from the existing clubs running on a three or five year alternating basis.

4. The Financial Director being the one whose expertise is best placed to ensure the club runs successfully.

5. The Commercial Director to come from either club and again the one who has the experience and contacts to attract local businesses in terms of sponsorship and financial acumen. Here do not forget that the commercial possibilities are endless even these recessive times. This post could be full or part time salaried dependent on how finances are.

6. That a suitable company secretary be appointed preferably this time from outside.

7. Three other directors to come from both clubs. Should there be more than three canidates, each participant to prepare a resume for inclusion in a matchday programme which the supporters can vote on.

8. A representative from the supporters of both clubs to be allowed to sit on the board as ordinary board members. They may air their views and be allowed to put forward and vote on proposals which are put forward at board meetings.

9. The supporters clubs merge using the same criteria as above with the exception that they consist of Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Social/Travel Officer, three other posts plus the two on the board who report back.

What I have said above can be tinkered with but this needs to go forward and be openly discussed without any animosity. Ladies and Gentlemen the ball is now within your half of the park.

Finally here is my original post which like the above comes from the heart.

"There will never be one Enfield club, whether it is AFc, ETFC, EFC etc., until we put away the knives, the slagging and hatchets. Reading all the posts from both sides I have felt that the animosity is what is holding everything back. It may not be said by either boards directly but the same feeling may be there laying under the surface.

One person used a four word post which is not helpful and just shows ignorance. Surely the aim is to work together in having one club that we all can be proud of. I have been following the name of Enfield now for 50 years and I cannot an will not place my allegiances to just one at the moment. I would love to attend games of both but medical conditions and finances preclude me from doing so.

Enfield has always been a proud club. Proud of its traditions and proud its standing within the football community. This is what we should be aiming for again and this must done as one club. I ask both sets of boards and supporters to look at themselves and to come to the right decisions. Put away the knives, hatchet jobs and slagging and give the people of Enfield a club which they will want to follow for ever."

I know supporters post here but I am also going to post this to the Not The ETFC discussion group. Also, I realise that this post will probably pulled apart and possibly pilloried but it had to be said.

feedback behead chat

Good post, BUT, where is there any NEW news or views within the content ?

All that you state has been said in one way or another many many times before.

1893 have voted and decided they DO NOT wish to combine the two Clubs in any form. There have been repeated public ( and I am sure, private ) debates, offers etc etc from ETFC particularly with regard to "now is the time" with news of a new ground within the Borough.

You can only knock your head against a wall so many times. before it starts to hurt !!!

I, along with many others have stated that an Enfield United is the way forward, but 1893 do not appear interested - for whatever reason.

There comes a time when Town need to get on with OUR Team, OUR new Stadium, OUR Club and OUR Future.

NOW is that time.

How about a merged club remain being called Enfield Town fc for a set period (say 3 years),then the 'Town' part could be dropped and the club just be called Enfield Fc.? This may also negate the need to drop a level as with a traditional merger.Of course the change of name from ETFC to EFC at a recongnised date in the future,would have to be set in concrete in order to reassure the current 1893 fans.

How about we don't merge. Get on with it ourselves and stop bringing up the same old stuff time and time again...

They had their chance then, they've had it again and I really don't think that merging would bring in any more fans or revenue or anything else. All it would bring in is bitterness and a lot of trouble neither club needs.

i'm sick to death with the same people bringing up the same stuff every few weeks.

There is that plain enough for you.

And no - everybody that knows me knows I have nothing against EFC. I supported them long enough. Good luck to them.

Originally Posted By: enfieldiansr

I can see with the current posts that the slagging, knife and hatchet are still prevalent.

Where are you getting this from Enfieldiansr? This is not the case at all.

It's been a long time since I've read any of what you describe as 'slagging, knife and hatchet'. On the contrary; on this forum you'll only find positive comments from Town supporters with most fans stating that they would support the merger of the two clubs. If you go back onto the 1893 forum you'll also find constructive debate about the future path for both clubs either together or as one. Where supporters of the two different clubs are in disagreement the correspondence is mature and reasoned. This is in marked contrast to when I first started supporting Town when I moved to the area in 2004 when the debate regularly became heated and aggressive.

Originally Posted By: Jim Cunneen
How about we don't merge. Get on with it ourselves and stop bringing up the same old stuff time and time again...

They had their chance then, they've had it again and I really don't think that merging would bring in any more fans or revenue or anything else. All it would bring in is bitterness and a lot of trouble neither club needs.

i'm sick to death with the same people bringing up the same stuff every few weeks.

There is that plain enough for you.

And no - everybody that knows me knows I have nothing against EFC. I supported them long enough. Good luck to them.

I've said it before - 1893, or word has it, that they don't want to merge. Therefore, why not believe what they say? They can carry on with their football and leave the Town to get on with their's.

A merger with Brimmo is closer to hand if we are talking geographically!!!

Good post enfieldiansr, and well thought out. My well thought out reply to it is one word - no. All this is doing is dragging up stuff that has already been discussed before. 1983 do not want to merge. They only reason they may be having second thoughts is because ETFC may end up with both QE2 and Brimmo, leaving them with nowhere to go in the Borough. They rejected the councils overtures on this subject, so it should now be closed. They have chosen to remain based in Ware, their only link with Enfield is in name only. A merger, or whatever you want to call it, will not lead to hundreds more on the gate, or a return to the utopian days of the early eighties. 1983 have made their choice, so let's leave it that way.

Originally Posted By: Enfield Til It Died
Originally Posted By: Pretty Vacant
1983 have made their choice, so let's leave it that way.

The same as the town fans made their's when they decided they wanted to split. I can't understand why these same people now want to re-merge

No other reason than to bring together a United Enfield under a supporters run club that cant be sold off to developers and property tycoons, so as to preserve football in Enfield.

We already have all this!

EFC have nothing to do with us anymore. I am bored with saying this the bitterness, acromoney and back stabbing that would be present - given everything that has happened would rip ETFC apart.

I'm more concerned with sorting our bloody defence out!!