Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

Re - Guernsey players getting paid, a few facts so we can put this to bed

- Guernsey players would be ineligible for the muratti (big game, once a year against Jersey) if they were paid

- No one in Guernsey gets paid to play football, the nearest to it has probably been club staff finding work for players

- Guernsey has virtually no unemployment, those who want work find it and get paid well in comparison with UK work openings eg £20k a year for washing cars on garage forecourt (yes...really)

The bottom line is, if Guernsey players wanted to play in England at step 3/4/5/6 and were good enough, they'd have done it before. Most have good jobs and live in a beautiful place. If you said players at those levels get anywhere between 20 and 300 quid a week, you probably wouldn't be far off. Maybe one or two might be good enough to play 3/4 (3 of them have earlier in their careers), but the bottom line is that they would struggle to earn as much in the UK adding football to a normal job as they do for their normal jobs in Guernsey. Admittedly, the cost of housing is high in Guernsey but probably on a par with some of the places in the CCL. Add to all that the family issue - a few players have wives and kids to consider.

So

Guernsey players don't get paid.....fact

Only those in a certain profile could move up to another club where they were paid ie those without family commitments, serious job commitments who could afford to take a chance on moving to the UK, buit even then, it would surely only be for Step 3 or above and the respective brown pay packets at that level (£250+ a week on a contract).

Wouldn't it be great if a side that didn't play for money but for the pride in their local community, team mates, coaching staff etc. went up above a load of teams that do pay out to players who have got used to playing for money - it would set a great example to football in general and particularly those further up the pyramid.

Back to a more realistic position, they may ultimately start paying players if they move up but it will be a massive decision that will have serious implications on Guernsey football - the very entity the whole project was conceived for in order to improve standards, opportunities and performance.

and breathe....

We believe yousmilewinkgrin.gif

Just love this mention of age lately by a few posters,also I am a git,mad,2 faced,decrepid.You see in my mind I have won the argument,when posters reach those levels.

I think some people just cant be bothered to argue with you because there is nothing to argue about as most of the stuff you put on here is utter sh#t

dance%20(2).gif

I only respond as I am getting a little tiresome of some posters posting blatant lies, wish people could stick to facts. Some obviously have a bit of a thing about Guernsey coming into 'their' league and want to keep posting rumours that do not appear to have any facts.

Edited by Guernsey

Just love this mention of age lately by a few posters,also I am a git,mad,2 faced,decrepid.You see in my mind I have won the argument,when posters reach those levels.

I think some people just cant be bothered to argue with you because there is nothing to argue about as most of the stuff you put on here is utter sh#t

dance%20(2).gif

is this the true Juppy coming out.2 wins and your B.B.B. now,Padlock did warn me about what you were all about.Did not honestly believe him ,and gave you the benefit of the doubt,But your last 2 posts confirm it.

dance%20(2).gif

is this the true Juppy coming out.2 wins and your B.B.B. now,Padlock did warn me about what you were all about.Did not honestly believe him ,and gave you the benefit of the doubt,But your last 2 posts confirm it.

Perhaps I have misread this Smudge but I believe you put the 1st post on saying Horley would get relegated, as soon as someone comes back at you, you dont like it !!!!!

It is a fact that to play in the National League System Cup, you are not allowed to have ever been on a contract so that would suggest that some players in the Guernsey squad will never be able to represent Guernsey in the cup (Tardiff spings to mind), likewise if I went to play in the Reading Saturday League, I would not be able to represent that league in the National League System Cup as 6 years aga I was on a contract.

Based on that, it would suggest that Guernsey players are not being paid, but those who cannot represent Guernsey at that level may be getting something, however I would be suprised if they were as it is not one that some players do and some players dont.

Either way, so what if they do, it is a good test to come up against sides that have a budget and are therefore deemed to have the cream of the crop. If anything all it does is raise their opponents game (how many teams raised their game against Chertsey because of their perceived budget). In theory it is not different to Man City offering someone £100k per week compared to someone like Swansea who will probably only offer £20k tops.

It is a shame though that there are clubs paying who do not have their grounds in order (or even have a ground). Hats off to the likes of Sandhurst who for the last two seasons have managed to compete in terms of player recruitment to earn respectable league finishes (and look like they will do again this season) and also to the likes of South Park, Westfield and Knaphill (sorry if I have missed others) who have ploughed their resources into getting their grounds to a decent standard.

Edited by Terrence Collina

Please keep things civil and polite.

The last thing I want to do is to restrict anyone here and restrict free speech, but if people cannot act friendly to one another then that is what I will have to do.

Guernsey have every right to post here and be part of the league as voted for by the member clubs.

The players, staff and officials of Guernsey do not get paid. It is true that the Club may have an income way beyond that of the CCL clubs, it also shells out in the region of £3,500 in travel and accomodation costs alone each game. 34 league games a season, possibly 6 cup games if they are lucky, so 40 games a season at £3,500 is £140,000. It is also being run in a very professional manner, for example the programmes, website, kit, equipment (including medical equipment), and would have to pay to hire the pitch, so that will all cost a lot of money. I may be wrong in this prediction, but I cannot see Guernsey players getting paid even if the club managed to move up to level 4, or even 3.

The massive benefit to the players is an opportunity to play football at a level never experienced before, week in, week out, and have a very professional set up to be part of, at zero cost to them. They are very lucky, but also in my experience very appreciate and respectful with it.

The post above re the NLS cup is absolutely right. I do not think that Zico-Black or Tardif were eligible for it. Allen has had trials, and played in America (as did his Dad, very succesfully), but has never played at a higher level. Out of the entire squad, I think only Mackay could be considered "non local" in that he didn't spend his formative football years playing in the Island.

I think the posts re GFC and their need to play attractive football if possible, and mix it/defend better on the days/pitches where it is not possible are absolutely spot on if there is to be a chance of promotion. I think the point last night against HW was a good one on balance; previous posts on here have suggested HW will be in the mix come the season end.

Ian,in 2 years on this site,which I have enjoyed immensely I must add.I have never seen a RED NOTICE APPEAR BY YOU.Are we to put up with Guernsey (I have stopped posting about Guernsey)for obvious reasons.Keep saying we are attacking them and what they say Is totally gospel so cannot be challenged by posters.Yes they are part of this Forum and should be respected,but why have you not posted this remark before.I suspect you have probably had a complaint from someone,like you did from Knaphill,Cobham,maybe even the League.CAN YOU PM ME.

There is nothing wrong with a poster challenging anything that somebody else posts. But what is unfair is posters saying (for instance) they think that GFC players are being paid but not coming up with any facts to back up their claims. At least i have checked my facts before posting. There are constant allegations about GFC which are then retorted by GFC fans with reliable information. Even if a poster said, I spoken to person x and he says they are being paid.I thought that it had been said in the local paper that players had not been paid, but I am not 100% sure.

For Guernsey players the biggest game of the season is the muratti against the craupauds, can't see anyone wanting to do anything that means they risk that game.

Edited by Guernsey

Please keep things civil and polite.

The last thing I want to do is to restrict anyone here and restrict free speech, but if people cannot act friendly to one another then that is what I will have to do.

Guernsey have every right to post here and be part of the league as voted for by the member clubs.

Well said Ian. Things have got too personal in the forum and someone fron Admin needed to put a post up like this.

Certain people have been aggressive towards the Guernsey posters and Guernsey in general before a ball was even kicked and this has obviously sparked a back lash.

I for one haven't got personal. I was maybe a bit too bullish about my teams chances of getting promotion. I am going to tone down my thoughts because being confident in my team seems to get peoples backs up.

I have never said we would piss the league or it was going to be easy. That was another Guernsey poster that said that. I want to clear that up as people keep getting me confused with him !

I am a nice guy honest ! I am just proud of my team and confident we can finish in the top 3 and if you don't have ambitions to do so there is no point in turning up to watch your team.

Ian,in 2 years on this site,which I have enjoyed immensely I must add.I have never seen a RED NOTICE APPEAR BY YOU.Are we to put up with Guernsey (I have stopped posting about Guernsey)for obvious reasons.Keep saying we are attacking them and what they say Is totally gospel so cannot be challenged by posters.Yes they are part of this Forum and should be respected,but why have you not posted this remark before.I suspect you have probably had a complaint from someone,like you did from Knaphill,Cobham,maybe even the League.CAN YOU PM ME.

Smudge, I have seen the post that has been modified and I remember what it said, completely off topic, not related to football, and had no place on here. It was not one of your posts either.

That post was actually a joke that was taken way out of hand it was actually because people made a member feel they needed to say those things about themselves I'm sure the person in question didn't believe it was real either what u going to do ban me for a joke that didn't offend anyone

Re - Guernsey players getting paid, a few facts so we can put this to bed

Wouldn't it be great if a side that didn't play for money but for the pride in their local community, team mates, coaching staff etc. went up above a load of teams that do pay out to players who have got used to playing for money - it would set a great example to football in general and particularly those further up the pyramid.

That's what happens at WPFC. We still PAY to play (it has gone up to £10 per game this season aswell as an £80 signing on fee for the club and football section). We won the league last season and I believe WPFC could cope very well in the Premier division. It is a real shame that we haven't been able to go up but we still keep the core players season in season out as we love playing for the club and for the people involved with the club so it can be done!

Well said that man. WPFC a credit to the CCL. If anybody wants promotion finish above them.

Just looking at recent posts I still think there is some confusion about the payment issue.

Guernsey folk seem to take this as a criticism from CCL posters.

I think after recent years' discussions on those clubs that pay players at Premier or div. one standard the received wisdom would be that if via. fundraising or having a benefactor or sponsor you succeed then good luck to you.

However it has not always been a guarantee of success and a settled side and team spirit would be part of the mix required.

I understand the pride of playing for your community issue and yes that is to be applauded but please don't feel that comments regarding payment to your players are meant to put you in a bad light. Everybody hopes you succeed with your plans and perhaps lets all remember that at a time when people have been killed on High Streets near to us recently, we are discussing a local football league however important it is to us.

Thought Guernsey played very well against Warlingham, who going by last seasons table are a strong side. Played some good football and a crowd off over 1,400 for the second week running.

Obviously the real test will be with GFC upcoming away fixtures.

Edited by Guernsey

Thought Guernsey played very well against Warlingham, who going by last seasons table are a strong side. Played some good football and a crowd off over 1,400 for the second week running.

Obviously the real test will be with GFC upcoming away fixtures.

I agree with all you have said.

We passed the ball around superbly today. near the end of the game Warlingham had 2 players down with cramp !

Warlingham had 2 decent chances in the 2nd half ( through us being too clever at the back ! ). We would have been very dissapointed if either went in.

The officials had a great game although the Warlingham no 4 should have been sent off ( he commited 3 very bad fouls, one with our player running in on goal ! )

All in all I'm very pleased with todays performance and the test will now come with 3 away games in a row ! C'mon The Green Lions !