Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

I haven't commented on anything to do with Guernsey, but actually having relatives that live there and watch the team, I feel they have been put in the wrong league. They should have been allowed to enter a couple of cup competitions first to get a gauge on what level thay should be at, for me that should be a minimum of CCL prem, but we'll see.

That aside, I agree to a point, although if you want to enter a league, you should do it on the same basis as the other clubs eg 3pm kick offs etc. From the other side of the coin, I don't think you should be paying for flights either.

The issue with kick off times is that Guernsey do not have any special power to alter kick off times that other clubs don't have (as far as I'm aware). I read that as long as both clubs are in agreement then kick off times can be set for whenever it is most mutually convenient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case then why are Guernsey being criticised for something that every club can do if needed?

Jackd, we know having to travel is our problem and that we've brought it on ourselves, but we're not complaining about it. We accept that this as a drawback of our status and we are trying to work around it, and get on with competing as best we can in away games. Also I'm not siding with GG, I think he is out of line in what he has been saying. Fair enough he can have opinions and be confident about what the club can achieve, but that is no excuse for being rude and discourteous to our opposition and to ground hoppers on this forum. What I was trying to get across was that I can understand why he reacted in that way because I also feel that GFC are being unfairly criticised, but that it is no excuse to post in the way he has been. We are a friendly community club, and we want to build great links with opposing teams and show them the best Guernsey has to offer. If there is anything every Guernseyman is proud of, it's the island!

If truth be known Teabagsy I think you will find that a lot of people didnt know that the kick off times were 'flexible' if both teams were in agreement and when the kick off times were altered simply they asked the question! Nothing underhand has gone, on just some common sense,after all would Knaphill wanted to have had a three o'clock kick off missed the plane and had another night in Guersney? YES!!! no only joking!! It made sense, especially economically.

With regard to death threats etc. when I read it I laughed. All done tongue in cheek!! I think we needed to calm down a bit count to ten and just let it go. You are a great addition to this league and I am sure that you(all) will enjoy your journey wherever it takes you. I will watch a few of you matches this season including a home game, if nothing other than to enjoy your legendaryhospitality.

A good start to the season for Guernsey today but I personally do not share the same optimism as many of my fellow forumers from Guernsey with respect to our chances this season.

Do not get me wrong, I think we have a good side & we have a chance of going up but we will not walk the league as some are suggesting. A lot will depend on how our squad copes with the away games this season, especially when the weather gets worse, temperatures drop & pitches get cut up. I'm not sure how well our players will be suited to an away game against a big physical team when it's cold, wet, on a bad pitch infront of 80 people or so. We are suited to a nice crisp passing game on a lush surface but I doubt that we will have the opportunity to play on many pitches like this as the season progresses. Our own home pitch is shared with the Guernsey Rugby team, and the pitch will take a battering once their season kicks in & will be difficult to play a passing game on in my opinion.

A further underlying problem we surely face is the fact our own local league will be so poor this season. The Guernsey FC squad players are going to be playing in a very poor local league and some may struggle to step up to the level needed when called into the Guernsey FC squad as cover for injured & suspended players for CCL games. I have no idea how the players playing week in and week out for Guernsey FC will continue to play in the local league which is going to result in a devalued and weaker local league.

We face 11 away games from 14 fixtures from 20th August (including the cups) and this period is obviously crucial. Should we continue to show good form over this period then I think we will go up.

there was also an excellent turn out from the local public today but this will probably half to around a maximum or 700 or so as the season progresses more once our own local leagues start, which would still be fantastic support if we can maintain over 700 at all home games this season.

I appreciate this post has come across as fairly negative and I intentionally have tried to draw attention to the problems we will face. Our lads were pumped up today for their first ever game at this level and started at 100 miles an hour, this will not happen every week but we should be quietly confident that this season will be succesful but it will not be a walk in the park.

To finish on a more positive note:

- Guernsey will be stronger once Ben Coulter and Jamie Dodd are both fit, both surely would have started today had they been available. Also I would have Joby Bourgaize in my first 11 but not sure if he is available or not at the moment?

- Ross Allen will attract the attention of sides higher up the league pyramid, his goalscoring record is phenomenal and I predict bigger and better things for him and a move to a bigger team at a higher level within 2 years once he has some experience of playing in the UK league under his belt.

- Guernsey to be promoted this season & to go on a comfortably win the murratti in Jersey!

I don't agree with you about the attendances. In fact I think our attendances will keep going up.

Why should we struggle any more than other clubs when the temparature goes down ?, utter nonsense !. Today showed we can get stuck in and play a long ball game in worse conditions if needed. Most of our goals today were from long balls.

Sorry donkey but I think you missed the point I was trying to make.... we will struggle in our away games as the season goes on... we will not consistently have the same players available for our away games, players will lose motivation when they are going away Saturday, Wednesday and Saturday and playing on poor pitches in front of a handful of people & I think we'll struggle against big physical strong players. We proved we can play long balls... but we haven't proved we can defend them or play against physical sides?!

The attendance at Footes lane is going to drop as the season goes on & if you think otherwise then you must be dreaming. Yesterday there were no other local football games and no premier league games on TV. How many of the support yesterday will be playing or watching football elsewhere when the local season gets under way? Let alone all the people who will just lose interest after a few games & the novelty has worn off.

I dont want to sound too negative but i think a few of the people posting on this site from Guernsey could and should be a little more humble. We're one game into our first season!

I'm not a groundhopper as such,more a supporter of C.C.L. The difference being I do not just visit grounds to just tick them off a list,and never return,I partake of their Food and drink,love a beer or 3,like talking to people at Clubs and get their take on things,and always pay admission and buy a programme.Yes you all may think I am anti-Guernsey,but I can assure you now your here,not much point in being ante.But when I raise points sometimes people listen,like the Parking at Horley,which was a concern,but now I believe that has been overcome by 8 bays being provided at the Hilton Gatwick.Likewise Kick Off times these are negotiable by both sides if they agree,but if these are moved to 1 pm,where is the revenue stream for local communities,thought that this was part of the thinking behind this ambitious venture.If Clubs fly in the night before,they will only see Hotel Walls,then when the game finishes have 2 hours to see your beautiful Island.Take the stand issue as someone said they are all nearly sold out,so if it rains away supporters have to stand in the rain,or behind the Goal giving your keeper banter,but hang on they change ends at h/t,will I say something that offends someone,maybe I might knowing me,will I be safe,probably but who knows.Also your website does not give directions to Footes Lane from any arrival point for spectators.The Supporters need to know this information surely.

The issue with kick off times is that Guernsey do not have any special power to alter kick off times that other clubs don't have (as far as I'm aware). I read that as long as both clubs are in agreement then kick off times can be set for whenever it is most mutually convenient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case then why are Guernsey being criticised for something that every club can do if needed?

If truth be known Teabagsy I think you will find that a lot of people didnt know that the kick off times were 'flexible' if both teams were in agreement and when the kick off times were altered simply they asked the question!

Correct. It was brought up as being something that is advantageous to G. At the time I and maybe others pointed out that any game can have its time or its day changed if both teams agree. So no way can G make another team do something they don't want to.

However, the focus is always on the negativity and level-headed posts tend to get ignored around here.

I agree with NLN fresh banter is always good keeps us on our toes.. Guru needs a kick up the Fuking Ars and donkey is just a true supporter......lets not get into to much of a slagging of match.....True Guernsey people know what it took for then to get into the league and how hard it is for them to get promoted. Fans such as Guru are obviously excited and cant control their emotions WE WILL ALL jump on the bandwagon when they get beat.

Edited by Tucks1

Last game of the season.....Guru....say no more!!

They won't know what's hit them when TUCKS turns up!!

Neavesy how are ya mate? Last game of the season the Lammas travel out there......cheesy%20%282%29.gif

I'm not a groundhopper as such,more a supporter of C.C.L. The difference being I do not just visit grounds to just tick them off a list,and never return,I partake of their Food and drink,love a beer or 3,like talking to people at Clubs and get their take on things,and always pay admission and buy a programme.Yes you all may think I am anti-Guernsey,but I can assure you now your here,not much point in being ante.But when I raise points sometimes people listen,like the Parking at Horley,which was a concern,but now I believe that has been overcome by 8 bays being provided at the Hilton Gatwick.Likewise Kick Off times these are negotiable by both sides if they agree,but if these are moved to 1 pm,where is the revenue stream for local communities,thought that this was part of the thinking behind this ambitious venture.If Clubs fly in the night before,they will only see Hotel Walls,then when the game finishes have 2 hours to see your beautiful Island.Take the stand issue as someone said they are all nearly sold out,so if it rains away supporters have to stand in the rain,or behind the Goal giving your keeper banter,but hang on they change ends at h/t,will I say something that offends someone,maybe I might knowing me,will I be safe,probably but who knows.Also your website does not give directions to Footes Lane from any arrival point for spectators.The Supporters need to know this information surely.

I'm assuming that you won't be hiring a car if you enjoy a beer or three so any taxi driver knows where Footes Lane is. There is also a bus service right to the ground. It's hard to give directions because our signage is not like the UK and a lot of the roads have French names, however I will work on putting a route together if you think it will be helpful. Having said that I don't know half the road names myself so will take me a while!

If you don't want to stand, let me know when you'll be over and you can sit in my seat as we will be behind the goal.

Edited by Trebor

<br />Cheers guernsey,how long does it take??<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Less than 2 hours, but some boats go via jersey and sometimes you have to swap boats in jersey....

Personally i want Guernsey to win everygame apart from ourselves of course of coz they will win the league they have some very good experianced players, yeah they will find away games tough when people put there foot in but you have to get near them 1st, i think all the teams that are chasing promotion places will want Guernsey to take points off there promotion rivals.

Come on Guernsey bash Hartney aswell....lol

If truth be known Teabagsy I think you will find that a lot of people didnt know that the kick off times were 'flexible' if both teams were in agreement and when the kick off times were altered simply they asked the question!

Correct. It was brought up as being something that is advantageous to G. At the time I and maybe others pointed out that any game can have its time or its day changed if both teams agree. So no way can G make another team do something they don't want to.

However, the focus is always on the negativity and level-headed posts tend to get ignored around here.

Overall I absolutely agree with you both, people didn't know the full story re: match times, but many were ready to assume the worst.

It is frustrating that we have entered the league with the best of intentions, done everything we can to accomodate other clubs and still get subjected to relentless and facetious negativity from a vocal minority.

I don't want to get bogged down in negativity because as you say, the majority of posts are level headed and positive. I won't deny that the club has teething problems that need to be addressed, but it would be nice to actually contribute to the forum without dealing with a slew of outright lies, half truths, and anti-GFC posts that clog the forum.

Sorry, I'm not usually such a moaning t*%t but I felt that some of this stuff had to be addressed! I look forward to welcoming all of you to Footes Lane in the future.

There is more to Guernsey FC joining the league than money for the local economy, it would be great if clubs did stay over but it is not the main rationale behind the formation of the club. I'm sure many clubs will stay over, however that is ultimately their decision and as you say, match start times are agreed on by both clubs. The issues with the stand are not unique to Guernsey FC, and new seating is being built as we speak:

New Footes Lane Stand

As Trebor said, road directions in Guernsey are different to that of the UK, however there is a dedicated bus route and any taxi driver will know the way there. If that isn't your cup of tea, you can simply look on Google Maps, but I do agree that there should be at least a visual link to Google Maps.

I don't think you'll be in any danger from the local fans even if you do dish out a bit of banter, even though I didn't think you were meant to be anti-GFC ;)

I'm not a groundhopper as such,more a supporter of C.C.L. The difference being I do not just visit grounds to just tick them off a list,and never return,I partake of their Food and drink,love a beer or 3,like talking to people at Clubs and get their take on things,and always pay admission and buy a programme

One can be a groundhopper AND a supporter of local clubs.

Edited by bomaya

Guernsey, posters like you give me hope that your not all knobs! Let's just hope, its only guru and donkey!!

What have I said to be branded a knob !

Please don't get personal. All I am doing is giving my honest opinion about our chances of promotion. Am I knob for hoping that my team is capable of a top 3 finish and get promoted !?

We won't 'piss' this league because of the away trips we have to make midweek.

I've said it before, i'd be surprised if we take even a third of points on offer from all of our away games.

Wish GG and GD would stop making enemies on this site, not doing the rest of us any favours.

I am not trying to make enemies on the site I'm just giving my honest opinion. I have been called a knob by another forum member. I haven't stooped this low as to abuse him and call him names so how come I'm the bad guy in all of this.

I did say that someone who I don't know ( someone important i'm told ) knows nothing about football because his comments were absurd as to suggest the game wasn't one sided as the score suggested. A ridiculous comment as we should have scored at least 5 more.

He wasn't watching the same game as me ( and 1,474 ) others thats for sure !

I apologise if my comments upset him or anyone else. But boy are you guys touchy on here ! and were only 1 game in ! lol