Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

SOME FACTS:

1. Very few people on here have been Anti-Guernsey

2. Very few Guernsey posters have been provocative

3. Some G posters seem to concentrate on the anti-posts, ignore the rest and thus join in with the provocation

4. Some mainland posters only seem to read the provocative G posts and react to them

Howsabout the vast majority of sensible posters from both sides of the Channel continue to enjoy the friendly rivalry and banter and just ignore any trolling from both sides?!

To hopefully show we are all not tossers in guernsey, if anyone is coming over and needs any help or advice then please send me a PM and I will do my best to assist.

What would be helpful to all supporters is directions to Footes Lane from the airport,Recomended hostelries,eatiers etc.

I've already recommended good places to eat before the season started on another thread. Do a search ? I don't know if it will show up ?

I agree with NLN fresh banter is always good keeps us on our toes.. Guru needs a kick up the Fuking Ars and donkey is just a true supporter......lets not get into to much of a slagging of match.....True Guernsey people know what it took for then to get into the league and how hard it is for them to get promoted. Fans such as Guru are obviously excited and cant control their emotions WE WILL ALL jump on the bandwagon when they get beat.

Thanks Tucks1 for your comment. I am a true supporter. I have a season ticket and am very passionate about my team and if this upsets anyone then tough !

Interesting neutral report here from TrevorP on NonLeagueMatters about a trip to Guernsey as a spectator:

GUERNSEY 5

Knaphill 0

Combined Counties League, Division One

Att : 1475

Footes Lane Stadium, Osmond Priaulx Memorial Playing Fields, Footes Lane, St. Peter Port

Admission : £4.00. Programme : £1.50p. Badge : £3.00. Refreshments : Plenty of hot & cold food/drink available at the start. Less later!

Excellent start to the season both for me and, notably, for Guernsey FC. I travelled on the "Condor Vitesse", a fast hydrofoil ferry, from Weymouth to St. Peter Port leaving at 6:30am and arriving at 8:45am. Most pubs opened at 10:00am on Saturday and I quickly achieved my initial objective of visiting the 10 GBG entries on the island. This involved booking Bill the Cabbie for the round island crawl which cost about the same as hiring a car for the day - for obvious reasons not an option for me. Bill told me he hadn't come across anyone like me before! "Be alert, Bill, there will be others ... !"

Beer standards have improved since my last visit to the Channel Islands (1995, Jersey), although the bland regionals are generally favoured rather than locally brewed beers. Randall's Patois did show up though and an off licence on the North Esplanade sold local bottled beers.

Knaphill had requested an earlier kick-off and this was readily agreed with the start being brought forward to 1:00pm. Footes Lane Stadium is situated within a sports complex containing hockey (all-weather pitch) and rugby facilities as well as the main stadium. This has a large stand, an outer athletics track and 8 floodlight pylons. The football pitch is in the middle, of course. Quite a few surrounding trees and slight banking at both ends. Standing spectators could get reasonably close to the action. No cover apart from the stand - all seats sold - and hard standing available on a surrounding tarmac pathway. Social facilities appeared to be in the hockey club afterwards. Guernsey FC had prepared well for the big day with mini-marquees selling hot & cold food/drinks as well as club merchandise. High attendances for pre-season friendly games had been encouraging but this turn-out was a real bonanza for the club.

The home club quickly took charge with a disallowed goal in the opening minutes and legitimate ones following - largely due to poor defending - after 15, 30, 32, 36 & 44 minutes. The second half was lower key with Guernsey easing up slightly in the warm sunshine and showing mercy to their unfortunate visitors. It was an impressive performance though and it will be interesting to see how they fare against better sides.

I got a bus back into town - no more than a couple of miles - and enjoyed the evening in the harbour area. The only hitch to the day was the late arrival of the ferry back to Weymouth. It had been delayed for some reason between Weymouth & St. Peter Port. It then goes on to Jersey before returning to collect Weymouth bound passengers/cars. A further delay occurred as two police officers arrived and requested that the sailing be halted as they wanted to arrest one of the passengers. Once he'd been hauled off to Guernsey Dungeons, apparently for shoplifting, the ferry could depart.

I was in the car again at 2:25am and home just after 4:00am. Highly enjoyable trip and recommended to others who have yet to visit. If anyone wants the number for Bill the Cabbie, I have retained it!

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=347400;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I heard a few moans that they ran out of food and drink. But I think they simply underestimated numbers, not an excuse, let's hope lesson learned.

Although I won't get the opportunity to play against guernsey I think their appointment into the ccl is fantastic.

Firstly because it gives teams the opportunity to play infront of a decent sized crowd and enjoy the atmosphere, secondly having guernsey in the ccl will only enhance the reputation of how good and strong a league ccl has become.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if a few of the guernsey fans want to pipe up saying their team will walk the league, let them talk as they are probably just looking for a reaction from the rest of the forumites!!!

However come the end of the season if guernsey do finish top we can all stand up and applaud and if they don't expect some major stick!!!

All in all banter is making good reading long may it continue!!!

I hope people do not think that one or two extremely pro-Guernsey posters on here represent Guernsey generally. As a true "Guern", I was disappointed to read some of the comments on here that came across as very arrogant and cocky. I can assure you that GFC is not underestimating the size of the task ahead of them, and are aware of how tough all of their away games will be. Promotion is an achievable aim; however, there will be lots of ups and downs along the way, and I for one am, and will continue to be, very grateful and respectful for the opportunity we have been given by the CCL and its members.

I understand a fair number of Guernsey fans now living in the UK are going to the Hartley Wintney game. I hope those of you that are there take the opportunity to have a good chat with them, and the GFC players and officials, and hopefully you will enjoy having a chat with a them. I also hope lots of people make the trip over to Guernsey and enjoy the hospitaility we have to offer, and the unique experience of playing non-league football outside of the UK. I believe a foot passenger ticket costs about £50, and the plane (if booked in advance) about £100. The ground is a 5 minute taxi ride from the harbour, and a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport. It was nice to read the complimentary blog above, and also the reports from Knaphill members, who I understand very much enjoyed their visit, and who seemed like a very nice bunch.

Also just a couple of observations about GFC itself. Whilst I am sure it does have a revenue that would be unkown to most CCL clubs, this revenue is spent on the costs of playing home and away week in, week out, which I would imagine costs in the region of £3,500 per game (£150 per head in travel and accomodation for a squad, coaches and officials). Multiply that by 34 league games a season, plus cup games, and the cost is very high! The players do not get paid at all to play. In fact, most have only ever played football in Guernsey, and for them it is their first experience of non-league football in the UK. A common theme in Guernsey (and I have to say Jersey as well!) is that sporting standards are very high due to the excellent facilities available and the ability to identify talented young athletes. It is anticipated for example that there will be 3 islanders competing at the London Olympics for GB next year.

Some great posts on here and some not so great.

Guernsey look good clearly, and I think they'll go up this year, take a year or two to adjust to the next step which will be tough, then get to the Ryman and find their level. Not every game this season will be as one sided I'm sure but they are sharp enough to know that.

Great review/report by Trevor P - would imagine many non league fans and groundhoppers fancy a bit of that, even if it might cost 4 or 5 times as much as a normal away game.

Can see why Guernsey are worried about some of the opinions on here, especially as they are run by such excellent people - Mark Le Tissier is one of the nicest and most courteous guys there is, no ego, no fuss, just a top, top bloke. They want to win but will go out of their way to prove that they can do it the right way and make friends on the journey.

But forums are about a bit of banter, and the pantomime baddies have done a decent job of stoking the fire!

Whilst I'm on the subject, if opposition defenders come on here and moan about a stray arm - seemingly not intentional - and the lack of an apology, their expectations of Guernsey's lads are perhaps a tad too high. Behave! Play to win and then have a beer afterwards, I know the game's change but stop being soft and let him know you're there next time you get chance! Guernsey's lads are one of the nicest bunches going - certainly no Souness, Bremner or Keane esque mentalities from what my sources tell me. If anything, they probably expect it to be the other way around.

maybes hes a good looking fella an didnt wanna spoil his beckhamesq look ;)

im ugly broke nose scars all over............. defenders............we get in the way lol

One thing to bear in mind, is that unlike UK teams it would be very unlikely that GFC will be able to sign any new and better players, as players are surely only to be those resident in the island. Also, GFC are NOT paying players, I know one or 2 posters doubt this (one claimed that Ryan zico black had dropped down from the conference) but they are not.

One thing to bear in mind, is that unlike UK teams it would be very unlikely that GFC will be able to sign any new and better players, as players are surely only to be those resident in the island. Also, GFC are NOT paying players, I know one or 2 posters doubt this (one claimed that Ryan zico black had dropped down from the conference) but they are not.

Not quite correct Guernsey, I quoted that Ryan Zico Black had played in the Conference,

just watched the highlights, atmosphere looks superb!

You are right. Our crowd was very loud and we made our voices heard when there were some dodgy decisions against us ( yes there were dodgy decisions for us as well before someone jumps down my throat ! lol ).

Every time we scored we nearly took the roof off the stand !

Come over to Guernsey if you can and soak up the atmosphere and our friendly hospitality :)

why not try an awayday on Non League Day groundhoppers??

Book now with condorferries from Weymouth

Sat 03-Sep-11 Weymouth-Guernsey 06:30 departure

Return Sat 03-Sep-11 Guernsey-Weymouth 22:20 departure

Price 30.00 GBP

You can get a bus from St Peter Port Town right to the ground, the 1 and 1A goes every half an hour

:welcome: