Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Guernsey Thread

<br />
<br />One thing to bear in mind, is that unlike UK teams it would be very unlikely that GFC will be able to sign any new and better players, as players are surely only to be those resident in the island. Also, GFC are NOT paying players, I know one or 2 posters doubt this (one claimed that Ryan zico black had dropped down from the conference) but they are not.<br />
<br /><br />Not quite correct Guernsey, I quoted that Ryan Zico Black had played in the Conference,<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />The way it was worded hinted that he had recently played in the conference, no mention that he played in Australia and more recently for a guernsey club. There was also a hint that he may be paud, otherwise why else make a drop from conference to CCL.

I think he played in Spain not Australia.

According to http://nifootball.bl...zico-black.html he played in both Australia and Spain

From reading pervious threads/posts this player by all accounts is Guernsey's best player, so I've just read the article.

Now did I hear someone say from Guernsey that not one Guernsey player gets paid...........mmmnnnn I'm not too sure about that !!!

I have on on very good authority that no GFC player is being paid.

There is no evidence to back up these ridiculous claims.

Perhaps a few if you are just trolling on this forum?

Edited by Guernsey

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh And yes... We do seem to have trolls intent on causing trouble, perhaps time to ignore some, but it's hard when people post crap that some will actually believe.

from a players perspective, the oppertunity to play against Guernsey, will be another thing we can say we have acheived on our individual journeys. My dream was always to play in the FA cup, and i did that for the last 2 years, seeing the crowds they pull in. It may be the biggest most will play in front of, with all the added pressure, and a chance to test your mettle. I'm gald they are in the league, and if fit and selected, looking forward to travelling there, and doing my best to help my team to 3 points.

All this talk of non-leauge matters made me go and inspect it. It gave me a headache, the layout hasn't got a patch on this. We have an amazing site so lets keep it that way.

All this talk of non-leauge matters made me go and inspect it. It gave me a headache, the layout hasn't got a patch on this. We have an amazing site so lets keep it that way.

No one is disputing that Jack. It serves an entirely different purpose than this place.

<br />
<br />One thing to bear in mind, is that unlike UK teams it would be very unlikely that GFC will be able to sign any new and better players, as players are surely only to be those resident in the island. Also, GFC are NOT paying players, I know one or 2 posters doubt this (one claimed that Ryan zico black had dropped down from the conference) but they are not.<br />
<br /><br />Not quite correct Guernsey, I quoted that Ryan Zico Black had played in the Conference,<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />The way it was worded hinted that he had recently played in the conference, no mention that he played in Australia and more recently for a guernsey club. There was also a hint that he may be paud, otherwise why else make a drop from conference to CCL.

I think he played in Spain not Australia.

According to http://nifootball.bl...zico-black.html he played in both Australia and Spain

From reading pervious threads/posts this player by all accounts is Guernsey's best player, so I've just read the article.

Now did I hear someone say from Guernsey that not one Guernsey player gets paid...........mmmnnnn I'm not too sure about that !!!

I have on on very good authority that no GFC player is being paid.

Guernsey, firstly I am not certainly a troll thank you, and I am definitly not pulling your chain.

Whilst I appreciate your comments, I do find them hard to believe especially with Zico's CV, My advice for him is go and play on the UK mainland if he's not getting paid ....lol !

Now whilst I am not nieve, against Knaphill you had a crowd of 1475 or so supporters.....if they pay £4.00 per head, I make that in the region of £5900.00 !

The travelling aspect I understand is sponsored so no expense there. Of course there is the club matters and bills plus staff etc., to pay, but in my opinion, I firmly believe that some of the approx. £5900.00 goes towards the players budget, then of course I take it Guernsey are not paying Allen ? Again my ol' shun, go and play on the UK mainland 'cos you lad were the difference last night and best player on show be it even as a sub !

I truly want to believe you Guernsey, but in my expereince I find it hard to accept your comments sorry, thats not forgetting the little speedy winger you have !

One thing, I wonder if the manager changed the teams tactics to hit the ball long 'cos of the pitch whereas, at home the footage I have seen, you play good football ? I have to admit, I was disappointed in Guernsey's performance and style of play nevertheless, the 2nd half was more like it, but one would suggest that your manager works on your defence where quite opposite, going forward Guernsey are good........in my opinion.

Anyway, it was good to see newcomers...welcome !. Guernsey will do well at home in my opinion, and will have to get used to playing away at particular grounds, they should roll their sleeves up, and if they play the long ball, you will be playing into the oppositions hands...... just a quick word of advice.

So, thats 2 games, 2 names : O'Toole and Allen.....I feel a CCL fantasy team coming up.......ha ha !

Edited by NICE GUY

Both Zico and Allen were both playing in local Guernsey leagues last season where they most certainly were not paid. I have spoken to someone senior at GFC and been assured that they are not being paid.

There is sponsorship, but I am not totally sure it covers all the travel expenses.

I would imagine a fair few of tickets are given out free for sponsors etc.

Big crowd last Saturday, but I very much doubt that it will last to that extent, cold weather and Premier League games on TV will count for a fair few.

Players like Zico and Ross might just want to stay in their island with their families.

Edited by Guernsey

Not wishing to open the old 'who pays what' debate,Guernsey seem adamant that nobody gets paid!

Can I ask what the problem is with being paid?

If your club has money and ambition and your players have to travel it is a free market surely?

Exactly, who cares if they get paid or not.

Guernsey are a good side so just enjoy playing against them and watching them this season and I look forward to travelling there next season and playing in front of there crowd when they get promoted this season.

Not wishing to open the old 'who pays what' debate,Guernsey seem adamant that nobody gets paid!

If your club has money and ambition and your players have to travel it is a free market surely?

Guernsey are a good side so just enjoy playing against them and watching them this season and I look forward to travelling there next season and playing in front of there crowd when they get promoted this season.

You expecting Horley to be relegated then?cheesy%20(2).gif

You expecting Horley to be relegated then?cheesy%20(2).gif

Yes something like that smudge. Whatever makes an old man happy.....

Re - Guernsey players getting paid, a few facts so we can put this to bed

- Guernsey players would be ineligible for the muratti (big game, once a year against Jersey) if they were paid

- No one in Guernsey gets paid to play football, the nearest to it has probably been club staff finding work for players

- Guernsey has virtually no unemployment, those who want work find it and get paid well in comparison with UK work openings eg £20k a year for washing cars on garage forecourt (yes...really)

The bottom line is, if Guernsey players wanted to play in England at step 3/4/5/6 and were good enough, they'd have done it before. Most have good jobs and live in a beautiful place. If you said players at those levels get anywhere between 20 and 300 quid a week, you probably wouldn't be far off. Maybe one or two might be good enough to play 3/4 (3 of them have earlier in their careers), but the bottom line is that they would struggle to earn as much in the UK adding football to a normal job as they do for their normal jobs in Guernsey. Admittedly, the cost of housing is high in Guernsey but probably on a par with some of the places in the CCL. Add to all that the family issue - a few players have wives and kids to consider.

So

Guernsey players don't get paid.....fact

Only those in a certain profile could move up to another club where they were paid ie those without family commitments, serious job commitments who could afford to take a chance on moving to the UK, buit even then, it would surely only be for Step 3 or above and the respective brown pay packets at that level (£250+ a week on a contract).

Wouldn't it be great if a side that didn't play for money but for the pride in their local community, team mates, coaching staff etc. went up above a load of teams that do pay out to players who have got used to playing for money - it would set a great example to football in general and particularly those further up the pyramid.

Back to a more realistic position, they may ultimately start paying players if they move up but it will be a massive decision that will have serious implications on Guernsey football - the very entity the whole project was conceived for in order to improve standards, opportunities and performance.

and breathe....