Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Footballs travellers

Tree Hugger

Oh really, the quality or shall I say the gap between the two divisions must be quite big as I thought these two were by far the best strikers I've come across in div 1 for such time (apart from Ross Allen) cheers Duncs.

you said pagey was the best make your mind up hes now fourth best then is he?

You are a rare breed my friend good luck, I see you play windsor tonight have you a full squad out?

cheers mate, we didnt have a keeper last night but ad turner did very well in the sticks an jackson our cf is injured other than that a full squad we were beaten by a team more hungry than us, an a loss for us has been coming after going 5 unbeaten which is disappointing really because we are having to many off days !!

If you believe that the money paid at Camberley, Hartley, Cove and Frimley Green is just for fuel, they must all drive 4 litre 4x4's. You talk about others talking rubbish but you do as well.

Is there a reason that you do not know the money aspect of it is because you were not allowed near the brown envelopes. There are people at all those clubs who still pick up an envelope and don't even own a car.

Hartley r paying good money to a few of there players, and so they should as it will help get them out of the position there in .But if the money doesnt last, then neither will the players, thats just how works, shame cos they are a good club with a good setup.

Not being funny, this is all very nice to read, but seriously does it matter if anyone is getting paid? What happens, happens, nothing that gets discussed or moaned about here will change a bloody thing!! People get brown envelopes people get a handshake after a game, who cares! People should be playing for the love of the game and just accept a beer in the bar after from the chairman/manager.

If people get money for expenses Dunc then technically you can class it as getting paid? I think so, as Joe Bloggs who doesn't get the expenses has to fork out travelling cost from his own pocket, leaving him down?

But seriously in the long and the short of it, does it really MATTER?? ;)

Agree with Wattsy,

it doesnt matter what clubs, managers, chairman pay out to players. Its their money so they can do what they like.

I played at Ash for 8 years and as far as i was concerned, everyone got the same, until a little birdy told me 2 years after leaving, that certain players were getting extra and it certainly wasnt for travelling expenses as they lived a stones throw away from the club. I dont know where the extra cash came from but as Wattsy says, who cares?

At Cove, most players were on a basic but some were given extra. This was either because they lived further away or because they were in a position to demand a better wage. I do know where the extra cash came from but not obliged to say.

The only issue I have with this current topic about players wages/expenses is that I think we all know that certain Frimley Green players, certain Lammas players etc etc are definitely getting paid whether its called expenses or not, its still money for playing, and for people to come on here and deny such facts of these players getting decent money are having a laugh. I have no issue with players getting paid cos I do believe that to play at this level (step5) or above, you need transport whether it be planes, trains or automobiles, and these do not come cheap at all.

Yeah pull the other one big cup run in FA cup and good chance in vase, plus going well in league

Think everyone at SP would take it as a compliment that you are so adamant we are getting paid. Cheers!

I wonder why it is that the odd few player and manager alike seem to get around quite a bit?

I have read that Phil Elery has signed for Virginia water along with a host of new players, is this true?

My question therefore (if so) is why do certain individuals move about so much, and on the flip side why do some like to stay at clubs for 5, 6, 7 plus years?

My guess is that the travellers all think the grass is greener as they are too good for their current clubs? Or is money the big swinger? Surely consistancy is what makes a happy player, stay at a club for 3 years at least?

Look at players like Pearcey at Wembley, one of the best keepers around as he has stuck with Wembley (Since his Bedfont days)

Lets just hope Redflop doesnt follow his friday drinking buddy down to Virginia water, as he is far too good to play that standard.

I left Wembley for bedfont green (for a lot of money pw), after being bombed I went to egham on loan (which became permanent cos I was enjoying it there) I then went to Ashford (less money) but injury killed that.after rehab I went to casual s with shipps which went south when he quit, then off to goading.less said about that the better! After training with hendon and not playing for 2 months I was gona call it a day until batesy called, I want to play football and don't need the money so is no longer a factor (I've turned down 2 clubs already who were offering money) being treated with respect is something I value sadly some managers don't do that.

Milesy - just getting all the players 'expenses' ready for Wednesday night and I've run out of brown envelopes!!! Will the players be ok with white ones? Colliers is a long way away and I think most are driving in 4 x 4's and porsches so I think £50 should cover 'petrol' etc - plus the usual £100 win bonus for everyone, if we're fortunate enough to win. You cool with that??

Milesy - just getting all the players 'expenses' ready for Wednesday night and I've run out of brown envelopes!!! Will the players be ok with white ones? Colliers is a long way away and I think most are driving in 4 x 4's and porsches so I think £50 should cover 'petrol' etc - plus the usual £100 win bonus for everyone, if we're fortunate enough to win. You cool with that??

Plus it's a mans game Milesy which will include tackling

I left Wembley for bedfont green (for a lot of money pw), after being bombed I went to egham on loan (which became permanent cos I was enjoying it there) I then went to Ashford (less money) but injury killed that.after rehab I went to casual s with shipps which went south when he quit, then off to goading.less said about that the better! After training with hendon and not playing for 2 months I was gona call it a day until batesy called, I want to play football and don't need the money so is no longer a factor (I've turned down 2 clubs already who were offering money) being treated with respect is something I value sadly some managers don't do that.

forgot Chertsey mate!!

I actually think there's less money now than there was when I played - I only moved if it was right for (played for 4 clubs mainly, all northern monkeys). Dropped step 2 down to 4 because I was in and out of the side and wanted regular football but went to a big club at that level with the right gaffer/money/set up. Stepped back up to 3 because I could and was starting to get on/injuries on the horizon. Final stop was a drop down to Step 5, again, with the right mix but I placed more importance on team/club spirit and was playing with a lot of old mates. That finished with a broken leg!

For me there is a a cut off at midpoint of step 5 - sides above that level need to pay money to win things unless they are very unique eg GFC. Below that, teams shouldn't need to if they are set up properly.

As a gaffer, I'd look for youngsters with no baggage below that line ie no massive pegigree or expectation for a brown packet. Maybe add a couple of older heads who don't need money but want to play and help youngster on. If you get that mix right, you might stand a chance of success as Step 5 as you can develop an understanding over time.

I know one step 4 club up here who pay 1k a week and are struggling at the wrong end of the table and should just cut that in half and spend the rest on getting things right off the pitch to support players. Not infrastructure, but things like tracksuits, training kit, physio and conditioning support for players etc. If they pay money, 50% of it should be performance driven and building a TEAM might be easier if you just went open book and paid everyone the same. All that would only work up to Step 4 top but just my views. Many chairmen are too focussed on the next result and can't see past their noses.

General rule of thumb for anyone - don't go anywhere just for an extra 20 notes, but even that I suppose is relative to your personal circumstances.

Going back to when Wimbledon were in the CCL, I assume there was a healthy budget but surely people would have come anyway to play in front of 3,000 in a team that wins. Or am I just being very naive?

Also as an outsider looking in, does it not produce resentment if some players are paid and some aren't?

Going back to when Wimbledon were in the CCL, I assume there was a healthy budget but surely people would have come anyway to play in front of 3,000 in a team that wins. Or am I just being very naive?

Also as an outsider looking in, does it not produce resentment if some players are paid and some aren't?

Not sure TRS, ask Easy Game? He'll be able to tell ya ;)

Plus it's a mans game Milesy which will include tackling

Now you tell me, if I knew that before, we might not have been leaking so many goals recently!