Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Footballs travellers

Tree Hugger

I wonder why it is that the odd few player and manager alike seem to get around quite a bit?

I have read that Phil Elery has signed for Virginia water along with a host of new players, is this true?

My question therefore (if so) is why do certain individuals move about so much, and on the flip side why do some like to stay at clubs for 5, 6, 7 plus years?

My guess is that the travellers all think the grass is greener as they are too good for their current clubs? Or is money the big swinger? Surely consistancy is what makes a happy player, stay at a club for 3 years at least?

Look at players like Pearcey at Wembley, one of the best keepers around as he has stuck with Wembley (Since his Bedfont days)

Lets just hope Redflop doesnt follow his friday drinking buddy down to Virginia water, as he is far too good to play that standard.

I wonder why it is that the odd few player and manager alike seem to get around quite a bit?

I have read that Phil Elery has signed for Virginia water along with a host of new players, is this true?

My question therefore (if so) is why do certain individuals move about so much, and on the flip side why do some like to stay at clubs for 5, 6, 7 plus years?

My guess is that the travellers all think the grass is greener as they are too good for their current clubs? Or is money the big swinger? Surely consistancy is what makes a happy player, stay at a club for 3 years at least?

Look at players like Pearcey at Wembley, one of the best keepers around as he has stuck with Wembley (Since his Bedfont days)

Lets just hope Redflop doesnt follow his friday drinking buddy down to Virginia water, as he is far too good to play that standard.

Assuming this is a genuine thread and not another to have a dig at people, there is little loyalty from players at any level with a few notable exceptions.

Assuming this is a genuine thread and not another to have a dig at people, there is little loyalty from players at any level with a few notable exceptions.

No its genuine, with regards to players, you are spot on - no loyalty at all.

But what about managers? Why do some seem to pop up everywhere at all different levels? And never stay long at clubs?

Il take a compliment out of that comment TH! I won't be going too VW and il like to say I've been at Lammas 5 years apart from my 3 month spell at Knaphill at the start of the season. I think I'm in my 6th season!

No its genuine, with regards to players, you are spot on - no loyalty at all.

But what about managers? Why do some seem to pop up everywhere at all different levels? And never stay long at clubs?

Any number of reasons I think. Money, ambition, lack of ambition, personal reasons. Undeserved reputation (good and bad) may also play a part.

Money talks.

If you have an owner who is willing to spend big to take the club forward, then its a no brainer that they will get the best manager and players.

Similarly, clubs with little money will not be able to attract as many quality managers/coaches/players. They will have to rely on friendships with managers and players without clubs to try and build a team.

If Manchester City, for example, went broke tomorrow NONE of their players would stay.

money talks.............does it? never been attracted by money myself an always loyal to a club ive played was at staines lammas for roughly 16 years with a 10 game spell at faversham as wanted to try a higher level it didnt work because of travelling after my car broke down on the way back from ramsgate on a tuesday night an started affecting my work an now at bedfont sports this is my fourth season an i hope to continue for as long as i can! i never thought the grass was greener until i actually left lammas for bedfont though i loved my time at lammas i feel the same feeling now at bedfont its all about enjoyment !!!

Well, there's obviously players who will stay loyal to a club if they feel part of its fabric, but on the whole money does talk even at non-league level.

If a club offers you £50 more than your current club, and they have a better set-up and a few of your mates play for them, then unless you don't need the money or you have a burning loyalty to your present club I would suspect most players would move.

I will admit, I moved clubs when I was a player (when dinosaurs were in nappies) because I wanted to get money in the bank. As long as I got extra money in at the end of the week to make ends meet I was happy. If you're a young player and you're offered a good financial deal with a club, what is the harm in taking it? If it's extra money in the bank then so what? Yes, I was sad to leave some of the clubs (and damn well relieved to move from others!), but life goes on.

Some players have loyalty in a difference way not necessarily to a club but to a manager which is why it might seem the same managers and players seem to move club. Phil Ellery was sacked at Knaphill, he didnt leave to join elsewhere. I am guessing the players that have done to Virginia Water have gone there because they want to play for the manager and as long as its out of respect for him and not because its a easy and a laugh then I can't see anything wrong with that.

granted i see the point in taking extra money if it helps financially but 20, 30, or 40 quid to leave one club just for that is laughable ive been offered money to go elsewhere in the past an have been paid exspenses but i think im just one of a select few who isnt money orientated!!

Some players have loyalty in a difference way not necessarily to a club but to a manager which is why it might seem the same managers and players seem to move club. Phil Ellery was sacked at Knaphill, he didnt leave to join elsewhere. I am guessing the players that have done to Virginia Water have gone there because they want to play for the manager and as long as its out of respect for him and not because its a easy and a laugh then I can't see anything wrong with that.

agree with this it comes down to who you respect in the game, when i left lammas there were 6 or 7 that follwed me to bedfont sports not all first teamers but a few who i think respected my descision to leave at that point was the right one !

Not one player at Sports can be motivated by money. We play as a group of mates and play for enjoyment and banter. We love it and are enjoying every second of playing higher. the only time I dont think I would turn down money is if a BSS or Ryman Prem team comes in. To be honest, not going to happen so I will be staying at BSFC for a long time. And i look forward to being there for a long time. In my 4th season (apart from a 3month stint for AFC reserves) and wont be my last season I'm sure

Surely its down to the individual player/manager/coach as to where they ply their trade,as a player I had many clubs but always ended up back at Ash I was a horrible little fecker and always thought I should play and wouldn't sit on the subs bench for any team,as a manager/assistant again I have had more clubs than Tiger Woods and have won loads at this level,its not always about being a 1 man club there are quite a few managers in this league who have become part of the clubs furniture but they have won feck all its all down to the clubs as well as the managers as to wether you stay (and win nothing ) or move on,I seriously believe that managers should not stay to long at 1 club as it aint good for a clubs fabric.All of the clubs that I have managed have asked me to manage/assisst and that is flattering and I always do it for nothing not even expenses, money should not be a motivator at this level and I think the lads who play for the love of the game are far easier to manage than the 20/30/40 quid mercinairies

id rather have a squad of players who play for each other rather than if there picking up a wage all day long , ive been lucky as a skipper at lammas first winning the surrey leagues, middlx cups an then coco div1 not one player when we did all that was paid an now at bedfont sports runners up promoted behind guernsey an a middlx senior cup win a couple of seasons ago again not one player is paid there all at the club because they want to play for it not command a wage.

id rather have a squad of players who play for each other rather than if there picking up a wage all day long , ive been lucky as a skipper at lammas first winning the surrey leagues, middlx cups an then coco div1 not one player when we did all that was paid an now at bedfont sports runners up promoted behind guernsey an a middlx senior cup win a couple of seasons ago again not one player is paid there all at the club because they want to play for it not command a wage.

Some of the teams who pay should pin this on their notice board and see what reaction it gets IMO

A Mass walkout at many Clubs,I would think,have you not seen the price of petrol? Clubs like Bedfont Sports,South Park,could be a new breed of Club,a bond of togetherness in all they do.The clubs have benefited no end by the current crop of Players,this can be seen by the improvement on and off the pitch.In years to come Newby and Milesy can tell their Grandchildren,I was part of that,and I never took a brass farthing,maybe even a statue at the Gate,in recognition of their generosity.

im proud of where ever ive played smudge just been lucky to always be in a competetive team challenging for things well either lucky or im an half decent skipper lol ;) :rolleyes: when we played south park it was the nucleus thats been there since i started playing against them apart from milesy............journeyman ? :D

Newby do you really think the manager will tell you if anybody is getting money how do you know the management are not paying themselves??