Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guernsey in Ryman Div 1 South

The problem with remaining a fans run club is that it can only go so far. I think last season proved that. The emerance of Guernsey FC is a fact we cant ignore . It may well be they too overtake and leave us behind. We are not big enough to rival Wimbledon and FC United's progress to a higher level. We must change our constitution to a business type owner or stagnate.

The club is generally progressing well. From a railed off pitch with pretty much nothing else in 2001 to a decent stadium with our own facilities and two promotions in a little over a decade is some achievement for all involved. To invite some rich business person in to throw money at the playing squad is not the answer in my opinion.

Short term it would be amazing but long term it would end in disaster as many club's have found out in the past. One particular club being very close to home that lost it's ground in 1999 and ultimately folded in 2007. Remember that? 

Things are looking good at present. A new under 21/reserve side to hopefully nurture and develop young players into first teamers, a first team in the Ryman Premier with Steve busy looking for players who will improve the squad...which is a difficult job in itself?

Ultimately if we do move up to the Conference South then to move up to the next level it may have to looked into to ask for a sponsor/benefactor (to find one would be difficult!!!) to invest but in a structured and controlled manner so not to put the club's future at risk.  

How about a compromise?

Can we not adopt the German football model of making it mandatory for 51% of the club to be owned by supporters - with the other 49% being available to be owned by anyone else, whether it be one individual, or several people.

That way, not only do the "fans" retain overall ownership of the club (whom would be able to veto any major decisions) - but it would also make the club far more attractive to any potential investor who could actually own a substantial chunk of the club, instead of the current "One Share Only" model.

Should also add that the Youth teams are the best way for us to create revenue - are our Youth/Reserve players contracted to the club? If, for example, a Youth player was approached by a League club, would Enfield Town FC receive any compensation/transfer fee?

I'm proud to support a fan-owned club. It's nice to know that the fans will always come first, and if that means spending more time in the lower leagues, then that's fine by me. Having previously followed Leyton, I know the damage that an irresponsible owner can do. The only places where fan-ownership has actually damaged the club have been at Ebbsfleet, and that's an exceptional model, and at Stockport, a club that was already in crisis anyway. Just look at the advances that Wrexham have made this season.

Edited by Arthur Salisbury

We just have to accept the level that we can support our club in and realise that the club being around in the future is more important than any immediate gain.

Arthur old bean. Yes I am saying exactly that . If we dont change then we will wait a very long time for more success. It may well be we would have to wait for other clubs to burst their bubbles . But then again how many go tits up in one go. The usual 1 or 2 a season may never be enough.

It will be great if a lot of money is raised through the share issue. However, it will need to be paid back at some stage and I doubt if enough supporters have loads of spare cash lying around.

What I can't understand is why some people feel there is a need to pass comment on whether some clubs would go to the wall if 'the money man' was to walk away. If someone wanted to fund our club to the tune of millions, then I'm sure we wouldn't turn it down.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry, me and my brothers have already agreed that if one of us wins the lottery then we plan to invest heavily into the club.

Off to buy some lotto tickets now. Wish me luck. :D

Success has to be worked for and is not instantaneous. As I was told once "Someone has to carry the palanquin".

As I recall the old enfield one a competition in 1935 and then had to wait until the 60's before they won another again. Slow but sure we will rise to the peaks.

Edited by Steph

I with Steph on this one - success will not be instantaneous. So long as we progress from season to season, I will be happy. If that means we finish one place higher than last season, then in my opinion we have improved.

It would be awesome to have someone who is willing to pump loads of money into the club so we rise three or four divisions in a row - but I would be far happier with the club being self sustaining whilst progressing slowly at the same time so that I have an Enfield Town Football Club to take my grandchildren to in decades to come.

For anyone who has seen the plight of Aldershot Town recently - lightning can strike twice in the same place!

The biggest success we can have is the continued existence of our club for years to come.