Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Trophy v Grays

OldTowner

Tom sorry for spelling mistake. Perhaps if we cant afford to be successful at this level then we shouldnt be here. I am sure there is a manager out there who can get a team playing better than Steve.

Also perhaps it time to get a money man in if we want to try and relive the glories of Enfield but getting that person signing some of agrrement that meant he could not put the club at risk like a certain Mr Lazarou did.

Yesterdays game was a poor one, between two teams unable to master the heavy swirling winds at pitch level.

I agree with that Grays should have been out of sight after 20 odd minutes, but although their forwards (Small, Hammond and Carlos) were pacey they were dreadful in front of goal. We had our chances too but were equally incapable of giving their Keeper a good shot to save. I suppose it was fitting that an OG settled the game and a shame it went against us and equally a shame it was from Dave Kendall who is an honest a player, in terms of does his best, as we have in our ranks. Hard luck Dave head up for next week.

The next four games are the the games we can judge our current squad on. Harrow, Wingate, Dulwich and Carshalton will all be licking their lips in the prospect of playing us as, in their view, on paper we are their to be beaten.

I'll still say we owe our management team the respect and right to better our league position bt the end of November after the four games. I also think it's fair to set a target of 7 points as well.

It's only after these games, a board can really and truly decide if any such decisions on a change of manager should be made.

I'm not Pro the Manager and I'm not Anti either, my view is totally footballing and one of respecting what the current manager and coaches have achieved in their time with us.

At the same time I do also respect all the comments made by fellow supporters on this site, but drastic and extreme decisions must be well calculated and precise.

As for Eddie McCluskey taking over? You must be joking and I mean that as I don't think he'd be interested in any management position at our level below or above, he is a retired ex head teacher and football manager fulfilling his bit in the Football Association circles. Additionally, you can't demand George Borg to come in either if the chemistry with the current manager does'nt exist, I'm sure you all agree thats common sense.

Anyway, I'd say 4 games and we re assess our position guy's, sorry for being so damn admirably supportive of the management again.

So, you are looking for a Supporter / Chairman / Owner, who will be a Member and run the Club with his ( or her ) money, but let the supporters elected Board run the Supporters Owned Club.

It there such a being ?

Of Course a money man can come in and put an investment into the club, he just will never have a say on the site the football is played on, won't be able to sell the building and won't be able to sell any of the land we have under the supporters trust.

I'm sure any money man could negotiate with the council development opportunities on our site to generate income thus enhansing the club and getting some sort of dividend on the investment for himself.

But as mentioned, this is currently a dream at the moment, but it only takes one person with the money and the vision. We have good gates (but could be better), we have 300,000 people living in Enfield, we have approx 500 boys and girls playing youth football under the ETFC Name. As well as 000's of others playing in the borough for their respective youth teams. We are a footballing borough, no doubt, just needs someone with the marketing tool to tap into this, in a skillfull way as possible.

Of Course a money man can come in and put an investment into the club, he just will never have a say on the site the football is played on, won't be able to sell the building and won't be able to sell any of the land we have under the supporters trust.

I'm sure any money man could negotiate with the council development opportunities on our site to generate income thus enhansing the club and getting some sort of dividend on the investment for himself.

But as mentioned, this is currently a dream at the moment, but it only takes one person with the money and the vision. We have good gates (but could be better), we have 300,000 people living in Enfield, we have approx 500 boys and girls playing youth football under the ETFC Name. As well as 000's of others playing in the borough for their respective youth teams. We are a footballing borough, no doubt, just needs someone with the marketing tool to tap into this, in a skillfull way as possible.

All good stuff, but where are these youngsters on a Saturday afternoon? They are the future of the club and there should be some incentive for parents to bring them along. I have said it before and I will say it again, let children in free but they must be accompanied by an adult. It doesn't matter where they live, just let them in. We had loads of youngsters the other week when their photographs were being taken but how many have been back? Something for free must be good for business, provided the business is good.

Yesterdays game was a poor one, between two teams unable to master the heavy swirling winds at pitch level.

I agree with that Grays should have been out of sight after 20 odd minutes, but although their forwards (Small, Hammond and Carlos) were pacey they were dreadful in front of goal. We had our chances too but were equally incapable of giving their Keeper a good shot to save. I suppose it was fitting that an OG settled the game and a shame it went against us and equally a shame it was from Dave Kendall who is an honest a player, in terms of does his best, as we have in our ranks. Hard luck Dave head up for next week.

The next four games are the the games we can judge our current squad on. Harrow, Wingate, Dulwich and Carshalton will all be licking their lips in the prospect of playing us as, in their view, on paper we are their to be beaten.

I'll still say we owe our management team the respect and right to better our league position bt the end of November after the four games. I also think it's fair to set a target of 7 points as well.

It's only after these games, a board can really and truly decide if any such decisions on a change of manager should be made.

I'm not Pro the Manager and I'm not Anti either, my view is totally footballing and one of respecting what the current manager and coaches have achieved in their time with us.

At the same time I do also respect all the comments made by fellow supporters on this site, but drastic and extreme decisions must be well calculated and precise.

As for Eddie McCluskey taking over? You must be joking and I mean that as I don't think he'd be interested in any management position at our level below or above, he is a retired ex head teacher and football manager fulfilling his bit in the Football Association circles. Additionally, you can't demand George Borg to come in either if the chemistry with the current manager does'nt exist, I'm sure you all agree thats common sense.

Anyway, I'd say 4 games and we re assess our position guy's, sorry for being so damn admirably supportive of the management again.

Iv been a supporter for 30 years and have seen the good times and the bad and at present it is very bad! 

Dont get me wrong i like steve but in recent weeks there has been dreadful performances and a lack of leadership from the dugout, Now is the time for him to go for the good of the club that we all love, all the supporters have had enough. Lets not beat about the bush lets get someone in to lift the spirits of the player and supporters alike, yes it would be a dream come true to have George Borg back at the club, but cant see it happening, we can only hope.  COYT.

At last a fellow supporter who sees it as it is.

I think we are kidding ourselves if we think we will improve with Steve as manager.

I like supporter 30 actually like Steve as well but think he has come to the end of the road at the Town.

Thanks for the memories Steve but its time to say good bye.

My children, like many others in the borough, watch and play football. Unlike many others, they actually attend Town matches, but even they are now reluctant to come and watch the rubbish that is served up on a weekly basis by the team. 

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the cost of admitance is what puts children off from attending. What puts them off is the fact that they know that the standard of what they are watching is very poor indeed.  

You last two ( supporter 30 and the viewer ) crack me up . You attack the guy , tell him to go and not to embarrass himself , yet you then have the front to say you like him. How do you like someone you have never probably had a conversation with. Have you ever tried to have a conversation with Steve ? , silly question I suppose. Managers come and go all the time and I'm sure Steve will do at some point ( whether soon or not so soon ) . When he does go I'm sure it won't be down to the likes of you, grow some balls and express your views to the man face to face .

I think that's a silly attack, 'comeon'. I'm sitting on the fence with regards to the Newing debate, but to claim that you have to have spoken to the manager in order to assess whether or not he's the best man for the job is preposterous. Other factors, such as results and standard of play, are clearly more important. Secondly, what possible reason could there be for either 'the viewer' or 'Electrickgreatcoatman' to express that they would like Newing to be sacked to his face?

Clearly there's an argument to be made for changing the manager, and it's not invalidated if you've not told Newing personally.

Just had a look at the form tables and they didn’t make me feel any better.

(Ignore the next two paragraphs if you don’t like/see the point in stats).

Our next three games are at home to Harrow, W&F and Dulwich. In the ‘last 4 away games table they are 8th, 7th and 6th respectively. In contrast, we are 17th in the ‘last 4 home games’ table.

However, we’re then away to Leiston (currently 23rd in the ‘last 4 home games’ table, while we’re 22nd in the ‘last 4 away games’) and then home to Carshalton (21st in the ‘last 4 away games table’). That takes us to the end of the first week of December.

(Stats section over).

If we got 9 points from those 5 games, that would suggest to me that we’ve at least steadied the ship. Anything less would definitely set the alarm bells ringing for me.

Things CAN be turned around. Look at Carshalton last season: after a run of 9 defeats in 10 games they finished the season with 6 wins in their last 8 (and yes, I know that despite that they only stayed up because of a technicality).

I took the opportunity to (unusually) read through yesterday's programme. After reading through some 'interesting' programme notes from Steve Newing I took to looking at the lineups page and career statistics.

Our 2 midfielders from yesterday - Joe O'Brien and Lee Allen. Both have played 60 and 53 games for the club respectively yet only O'Brien has ever scored and that has only been 3 times. Hardly prolific strike rates. We simply do not have a goal scoring midfielder. We rely too heavily on Liam to score and we only really have Corey who perhaps may also chip in alongside set pieces from the defence which makes it strange to understand why SN put Liam on the bench yesterday? I'd like to see Hope and Moses treys together or perhaps young Osei. Wallace is much more effective on the wing.

Whilst we're talking of statistics - how many games without a clean sheet is that now?

Just had a look at the form tables and they didn’t make me feel any better.

(Ignore the next two paragraphs if you don’t like/see the point in stats).

Our next three games are at home to Harrow, W&F and Dulwich. In the ‘last 4 away games table they are 8th, 7th and 6th respectively. In contrast, we are 17th in the ‘last 4 home games’ table.

However, we’re then away to Leiston (currently 23rd in the ‘last 4 home games’ table, while we’re 22nd in the ‘last 4 away games’) and then home to Carshalton (21st in the ‘last 4 away games table’). That takes us to the end of the first week of December.

(Stats section over).

If we got 9 points from those 5 games, that would suggest to me that we’ve at least steadied the ship. Anything less would definitely set the alarm bells ringing for me.

Things CAN be turned around. Look at Carshalton last season: after a run of 9 defeats in 10 games they finished the season with 6 wins in their last 8 (and yes, I know that despite that they only stayed up because of a technicality).

The team may be able to turn things around only if they perform a lot better than in recent games.

A veteran player at another club pointed-out on twitter that those calling for Steve's head perhaps did not have the most pure of motives for doing so. He also highlighted the example of Wealdstone. They struggled in the Ryman Prem during their first couple of seasons, found their feet and are now regularly towards the top of the league. It IS a serious step-up from Div 1 North to the Ryman Prem and I'm sure that we'll go from strength to strength IF we can survive this difficult second season.

In his programme notes Steve stated that the players he has at present are not good enough. He has been trying to get more faces in, but has been thwarted by the fact that other clubs are prepared to pay more. Ok, I applaud the fact that Steve hasn't just closed his eyes to the obvious, but he really should've come to that realisation in August and made wholesale changes before the season started.

Yesterday we lacked organisation and drive from the centre of the team. Ok, I know Kirby was at a wedding, but even with the big fella in the side we seem to lack a solid spine. Chris Wild has been a disappointment, I'm afraid. We also need a bit of quality in midfield - someone who can run the game. Lee Allen once again ran his nuts off, but he lacks the necessary creativity.

Somehow Steve has to pull a rabbit out of the hat - perhaps by making a couple of signings - against the odds, or else I fear the worst.

strange to understand why SN put Liam on the bench yesterday? I'd like to see Hope and Moses treys together

Whilst we're talking of statistics - how many games without a clean sheet is that now?

Totally agree regarding your comment about Liam (see my first post in this thread). My concern now is this: for how much longer will Liam put up with being the fall-guy? We lost Jey to Wealdstone (11 league starts out of a possible 13 this season). How come he is good enough for them but not for us??? We were told it was because he couldn't be promised a regular place and we're certainly doing pretty well without him, aren't we?