Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Trophy v Grays

OldTowner

Whilst we're talking of statistics - how many games without a clean sheet is that now?

League:  21

League and cups:  23

League, cups and friendlies: 33

(P.S. Sorry about a figure of 34 I gave in a post in another thread: I'd forgotten about our plucky 0-0 against Uxbridge in the can't-quite-remember-what-it's-called cup towards the end of last season)

Totally agree. I was one of the big screamers when Jey left and was fairly sure he would go on to bigger and better things and be a success. The same could be said of 1 or 2 others with Liam being a good example. I'm not going to criticise Steve for bringing in new signings but it just seems very strange that there are no new faces at the defensive end where Chris Wild has been very disappointing and we haven't kept a clean sheet for over 30 games!

With regards the ability to motivate the players, plenty has been said on that before and I'll say no more!

Regarding the programme notes, this is the exact wording:

"I have been busy over the last two or three weeks trying to strengthen the team not the squad as if you sign players at this stage of the season they are signed to come to play. I have so far been frustrated losing targets to other clubs for the main reason (money). I will continue to keep looking around and in the meantime it is up to the players to convince me that they are good enough. We are 21st however and if we finish in that position or lower we will get relegated. I know the players in my changing room well enough, that they will understand why as a manager I am looking to improve the team if I can, given where we sit in the table."

Not quite fortress mentality á la Ferguson I guess.

Cd Towner. It seems to me that the problem is not entirely in the defence. Saturday there was a period in the first half when there were 5 or 6 corners on the trot. We lined up for the corners without an outfield player less than twenty yards from the goal line so the out ball just kept coming back.

We played with two wingers not including Gunz I.e 4 2 4 so Lee and Joe were frequently in possession without a player free to pass to. Now it may be that the manager was obliged to play with this system due to injuries. It may be that he tbought that the system was the best way to beat Grays. It may be that he wanted to experiment with the new player in the side and a cup game gave him that opportunity. It may be that the players on the pitch did not follow his instructions either willfully or because they did not understand them. It is for the board to question him on these issues.

The most interesting selection, in my view, was not playing Jordan who does get forward to support the midfield and the wide players.

"We lined up for the corners without an outfield player less than twenty yards from the goal line so the out ball just kept coming back."

Sorry should read,

"We lined up for the corners without an outfield player more than twenty yards from the goal line so the out ball just kept coming back."

What I could not understand on Saturday is why we had all 11 players defending the corners. When we won the ball we had no one up front to play it to plus it meant that Grays could push more players forward. Having Tyler and Corey back defending when they could be up field makes no sense. Ir they stood on the haf way line either side of the pitch then Gray would have had to keep 3 players back. I know we have struggled at set pices but crowding the pentaly area and allowing more attacking players forward justs adds to the preasure. This must have been a planned stategy.

Roger Reed has stated that he would be happy with 14th place in this difficult season..I think we should have achieved mid-table this season even given the current financial restaints and I think Steve should be given more time and support in order to do the job..IF a managerial change happens in the future then George Borg (with Chandler as his no2) seems a perfect fit..Agree with letting kids in free if accompanied a paying adult.How about  handing out free kids tickets to all the youth team players?

lots of new contributors to this forum which is nice..

as EU says, the next 4 games are massive.  

but also, the way some of you go on, its like you would prefer us to play in 1 North and win all our games rather than be in Ryman Premier.  Its the price of progress.

Didn't get a programme but if SN did state that the players are not good enough, then no wonder we are in trouble. How do the players play well after reading something like that or is SN playing mind games hoping they will prove him wrong?

Well it used to work for Brian Clough...

The comments I have heard being shouted across the pitch from the dug out over recent matches have done little more than act as a distraction to the players. IMO there needs to be far more from the management to motivate the team rather than continually criticise. I don't understand the decisions around not giving Liam Hope the full 90 minutes lately. The Maidstone United game was a particular concern as Liam was substituted at a stage when we were looking to get back into the game. I am sure he must have been very frustrated. If we want a repeat of Jey Siva then the management are going the right way about it. I just hope that the test of the next four games is passed, otherwise there will be a huge hill to climb to avoid relegation (with or without SN).

whos attacking steve? (comeon) I have spoken to him in the bar a few times and dont have a problem in saying it how it is directly to the man. The facts are there to see if you open your eyes. we are in trouble! the players have lost heart and the manager has lost the plot. FACT. And are now relying on beating bottom teams to have a chance of staying up. Simply ludicrous. 

It may crack you up (comeon) but I and alot of supporters truly care about our club. Its clear to everyone that steve has taken us as far as he can. Its time for him to go. The majority of us as supporters are embarrassed. The bottom line is we all want whats best for the club, and steve is just not it! 

The above posts make a number of varied comments and opinions about the Manager and the quality of the playing staff.

I am sure we all agree with some of the content, whichever way you vote on the subject.

However, there seems to be one over-riding point - certainly noted by SN in his prog notes, which relate to players and the issues of signing on new talent.

According to Steve, players are interested in The Club, but will not accept the pay structure, so its all about money / budget.

Well, as a Supporters Run Club, ( in our current structure ) we will never have the cash injection of the top sides who can pay through the nose for "star" players funded by a fanatical cash-rich Chairman.

Surely this will be the case whoever the Manager is ?

Supporters run Clubs needs supporters to assist in raising funds. Thinking there will be a rich benefactor is pie-in-the-sky.

The discussions about the team selection / players / positional play etc will run and run be it park footy / Town or England.

We are all Managers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not.

Final point - I believe that our crowds will decrease - and therefore less cash - if the quality of play from Saturday does not improve.

So is the challenge to The Manager,  The Board  or  The Supporters ? ( or all )

Its clear to everyone that steve has taken us as far as he can.

Ignoring the other parts of your post that I disagree with, either I don't count as someone, or the above isn't correct, as I still think Steve has a lot to offer the club.

I totally agree with the comments made by supporter 30.

Why are we relying on beating the bottom clubs to stay up and Steve and His players are making my club an embarrasment.

Please Steve just go before you are sacked. At least you leave with some dignity and perhaps we can start building again because if we carry on we are on a downward slope. As ive said before if we do win the next couples of games against fellow relegtion possible sides we are just papering over the cracks. Dont forget from that abject and embarrasing display on saturday we lost out on over £3000 which would have done the club nicely.

I am 100% behind Steve and the lads at the moment. I believe we are capable of picking up points over the next month. 

That being said, the trouble is that the cracks are far more visible when things aren't going well. On Saturday I could hear the Grays dugout encouraging. I couldn't hear anything similar from Steve, Pete Hammatt et al. In fact, all I heard was criticism. Steve may have promised us mid-table at the start of the season, but he certainly didn't say we'd be languishing in the relegation zone after the first third of the season.

ETFC may only have a very short history, but us fans have expectations. We watched a football club in our borough go to Wembley, play in cup matches at White Hart Lane, beat Chesterfield away from home, draw with Preston, fight-out epic league campaigns against Yeovil, Hayes...matches against Barnet... We may have been spoilt in the past, and we are not EFC, but many of us still expect our club to be able to field a team that can challenge anyone we come up against and compete in the league we're in. So, given the demanding fans and minimal budget, Steve may have taken-on one of the more difficult jobs in non-league football. Let's see how he reacts when the going gets really tough. This might just be the month that defines his managerial career.

Edited by The Crowing Cockerel

So opinion is divided then. Some say Steve should go , others want to see what he is made of now the going has got tough. One or two of the posters are in my opinion getting a little close to the mark with their comments becoming very personal towards Steve. Remember players and managers of both our own and opposing sides read these football forums , and what they read may well have an affect on them. Freedom of speech is all well and good but some times it can do more harm than good . Supporter 30 I would encourage you to make yourself known to Steve on Saturday then ( and have another one of your chats ) you can then let him know that you think he should leave, although he probably will already be aware by now. Win , lose or draw go and talk to him , he is always in the bar after games and never slopes away without showing his face .

Let me start by saying, opinions are not divided, steve lost alot of support with his sarcasm at the Lowestoft game. We pay good money and are entitle to voice our opinion, but opinions mean nothing when faced with the facts. nothing has been addressed since last season, if we had lost against Hendon we would have finished in the bottom four, this season is worse! as the results show. FACT. Has steve not learnt his lesson?

Steve should know that football is about results, and he is not achieving.

This is not personal.

Myself, my 3 sons and grandson come to support our team religiously and are sick and tiered of having to watch the same rubbish week in week out, what a shame. 

"comeon" theres simply no need for me to let steve know how Im feeling, the man already knows what a mess he has put us in.

I pray for the sake of the club that the chairman and directors can see sense and restore our confidents as supporters.