Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On a similar theme it would seem that Sam Barratt, who was with us briefly during pre-season before joining Maidenhead, is being tracked by a Premier League and Championship club. Not sure who.

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/Sport/Football/Maidenhead-Utd-FC/SportsTALK-One-step-forward-19022015.htm

Hope he gets his move, he looked a talent in the few times he turned out for us. That link also features an interview with Unders.

From what I saw at H&Y, they never put the same team out from one game to the next, there were always three or four changes. I didn't know they were in financial trouble. Perhaps if the team is broken up, a certain centre back may be on our radar again....

Seems Dave Woozley is going to turn out for Aylesbury.

Why would any club sign him? He really is a liability and not that great a player.

He's a liability off the field with his remarks but on the field of play,I don't think you can level at him that he's a bad player.

To me makes perfect sense from Steve Bateman,bringing in two very experienced players, albeit one a 'wise old head' and the

other a 'dick-head' ! to enhance their play-off chances.

Noticed Terry Dixon has left Aylesbury and gone to Dunstable.Seems his spell at the ' Moles' didn't work out for whatever reason.

I'm surprised about that,as I rate Dixon.Think he's the type of player Slough could do with as a 4th striker ie an experienced old head,who uses his physicality as part of his game and would be mainly used as a sub but with the ability to lead the line from the start.       

Personally, I would prefer the two Bennetts.

Dan Bennett from Farnborough who I've always rated since seeing him when we've played Chertsey in the past.

Justin Bennett an experienced str

He's a liability off the field with his remarks but on the field of play,I don't think you can level at him that he's a bad player.

To me makes perfect sense from Steve Bateman,bringing in two very experienced players, albeit one a 'wise old head' and the

other a 'dick-head' ! to enhance their play-off chances.

Noticed Terry Dixon has left Aylesbury and gone to Dunstable.Seems his spell at the ' Moles' didn't work out for whatever reason.

I'm surprised about that,as I rate Dixon.Think he's the type of player Slough could do with as a 4th striker ie an experienced old head,who uses his physicality as part of his game and would be mainly used as a sub but with the ability to lead the line from the start.       

Personally, rather than an old war horse like Dixon, I'd rather have players like:

Dan Bennett, currently playing for Farnborough. A player that I've always rated since seeing him play for Chertsey.

Justin Bennett, currently playing for Gosport. An experienced striker who has always scored goals wherever he's played.

Terry Dixon is only 25! remember him being rated almost as much as Wayne Rooney had been when Dixon was at Tottenham but major injury destroyed his top level career hopes and seems he has struggled to find a place to fit in at a level his body can allow him to play so far.

Terry Dixon is only 25! remember him being rated almost as much as Wayne Rooney had been when Dixon was at Tottenham but major injury destroyed his top level career hopes and seems he has struggled to find a place to fit in at a level his body can allow him to play so far.

Maybe he just looks old   :D

Dan Bennett from Farnborough who I've always rated since seeing him when we've played Chertsey in the past.

Personally, rather than an old war horse like Dixon, I'd rather have players like:

Dan Bennett, currently playing for Farnborough. A player that I've always rated since seeing him play for Chertsey.

Justin Bennett, currently playing for Gosport. An experienced striker who has always scored goals wherever he's played.

Those two would be as dear as our first choice strikers !  By what Unders said Terry Dixon would be dear,too but surely Aylesbury pay less than us?

How did Steve Bateman do it,when he had 4 strikers in Danny Burnell,Sean Sonner,Charlie Mpi and Ben Abbey?

Ben Abbey was coming to the end of his career but knew how to find the net and with Charlie Mpi we had two super subs who livened up games,when we looked stale.

If we can't buy half decent,experienced forwards.Then we must go down the route of hungry young enthusiastic ones.

I'm not saying we need to do this,this season but surely next season,we will need to explore the possibilities of having an array of good subs that can change the outcome of games when things aren't going our way.

Our bench hasn't been bad of late but seems to be made up of players coming back from injury or ones just making up the numbers.

I don't believe Steve Bateman to be a better manager than the two we have now but I do believe his choice of subs were superior.

I'm not comparing personnel [like for like] or on how the managers make their changes,as Bakes and Unders are usually spot on in who they take off,whereas Steve's choices would often be strange ones, on who he replaced or the lack of minutes his subs would invariably get.

I just think that this season we have fizzled out of games even when our subs have been used.

Obviously being in a harder unknown league to the managers and some of the players has a bearing on this but we need to try and get as much of an advantage as we can get, to hit the ground running next season.  

What do others think?

By the way,we also had the incredibly skilled but injury crocked winger Chris Herron. He could rarely play 90 minutes and even with 45 he struggled but as a sub for the last 10-15 minutes he often got our team going forward especially at home games.

He was never properly fit,the whole time he was at Slough but to me he was a decent sub especially when we were chasing a game and behind in the score,as he often used his trickery on the ball to good effect and caused the right back a few problems,as the game petered out.

Perhaps with Wazza on the way back and if we can keep Jake Parsons next season,we will have the potential to do a similar thing,albeit to the opposition left back.Let's hope so.

Perhaps a cheap alternative to James Dobson would be good,too.

RR,

We'd love to have Justin Bennett too! He's currently joint top scorer in the Conf South though, playing for a side in the play-off positions, and is based on the south coast, so I would say it's not worth the phone call!

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on my observation about subs,as I forgot about the season when Steve Bateman had Robert Eales on the bench,who hardly made a fleeting appearance but I still stick by the essence of this topic.

I recognise that injuries have been a headache with the squad this season,too.

Those two would be as dear as our first choice strikers !  By what Unders said Terry Dixon would be dear,too but surely Aylesbury pay less than us?

How did Steve Bateman do it,when he had 4 strikers in Danny Burnell,Sean Sonner,Charlie Mpi and Ben Abbey?

Ben Abbey was coming to the end of his career but knew how to find the net and with Charlie Mpi we had two super subs who livened up games,when we looked stale.

If we can't buy half decent,experienced forwards.Then we must go down the route of hungry young enthusiastic ones.

I'm not saying we need to do this,this season but surely next season,we will need to explore the possibilities of having an array of good subs that can change the outcome of games when things aren't going our way.

Our bench hasn't been bad of late but seems to be made up of players coming back from injury or ones just making up the numbers.

I don't believe Steve Bateman to be a better manager than the two we have now but I do believe his choice of subs were superior.

I'm not comparing personnel [like for like] or on how the managers make their changes,as Bakes and Unders are usually spot on in who they take off,whereas Steve's choices would often be strange ones, on who he replaced or the lack of minutes his subs would invariably get.

I just think that this season we have fizzled out of games even when our subs have been used.

Obviously being in a harder unknown league to the managers and some of the players has a bearing on this but we need to try and get as much of an advantage as we can get, to hit the ground running next season.  

What do others think?

Was Terry Dixon signed on a permanent basis or on loan. If loaned he could have been part funded by Dunstable.

Charlie MPI was only with us for a short period of time and Ben Abbey was knocking on a bit, as such was relatively easy to keep them happy.

The point about subs, I think you've alluded to yourself, we've had a spate of injuries, some long term, which has affected the subs situation.

By the way,we also had the incredibly skilled but injury crocked winger Chris Herron. He could rarely play 90 minutes and even with 45 he struggled but as a sub for the last 10-15 minutes he often got our team going forward especially at home games.

He was never properly fit,the whole time he was at Slough but to me he was a decent sub especially when we were chasing a game and behind in the score,as he often used his trickery on the ball to good effect and caused the right back a few problems,as the game petered out.

Perhaps with Wazza on the way back and if we can keep Jake Parsons next season,we will have the potential to do a similar thing,albeit to the opposition left back.Let's hope so.

Perhaps a cheap alternative to James Dobson would be good,too.

I'd like to see Dobbo back to his best, if not this season then next season.

I think we all know how good he can be but for some reason hasn't been the same player since his injury.