Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

I'm with Martin on this one. But you can only wish, they're probably out of our price range now.

Epic Rebel,you may know what constraints we have on the budget but what I can't understand is,how can we have less money now,when we are in the Premier division, than when Steve Bateman attracted the same quality players when in the Central division?

I understand the need by the chairman,board,etc 'to cut their cloth accordingly' to the amount of money they can afford,given the lack of stadium,etc but surely Bakes and Unders will have a superior budget to that of Steve Bateman?

What is the need for a big budget as we are not ready to go up as we don't have our own ground and can't ground swop to meet the ground grading of the next level up.

As it is, we will need to pay for the ground improvements at Holloways park as SYCOB wont pay/cant afford the improvements for the current level, yet alone the next.

Also we look like finishing mid-table or above with the current budget.

Epic Rebel,you may know what constraints we have on the budget but what I can't understand is,how can we have less money now,when we are in the Premier division, than when Steve Bateman attracted the same quality players when in the Central division?

I understand the need by the chairman,board,etc 'to cut their cloth accordingly' to the amount of money they can afford,given the lack of stadium,etc but surely Bakes and Unders will have a superior budget to that of Steve Bateman?

There was a big boost to the budget due to FA Cup runs

What is the need for a big budget as we are not ready to go up as we don't have our own ground and can't ground swop to meet the ground grading of the next level up.

As it is, we will need to pay for the ground improvements at Holloways park as SYCOB wont pay/cant afford the improvements for the current level, yet alone the next.

Also we look like finishing mid-table or above with the current budget.

I'm not saying that we need to up the budget. I have every faith in what our current managers are doing.

My question is how can they have less money than Steve Bateman,who after all was in the Central Division?

Edited by 3spirit

There was a big boost to the budget due to FA Cup runs

That's a fair point,SRJ.

Doesn't matter what league you're in, there's numerous examples of lower league clubs having bigger budgets than their higher level rivals. I just think the amount of experienced players we had in a much larger squad under Bateman would equate to a larger budget than we currently have.

Stuart, have the gate numbers gone up since we got promotion? - barely.

Has our off the field income increased? well there is the MYFC link, but is this greater than the sponsorship from Lakes?

Is Steve Easterbrook still prepared to put his hand as deep into his pockets? well the way he has been messed around with the new ground and the costs he has incurred I would expect him to be cautious with his spending.

Were we desperate to get out of the dog and duck league?  yes we were, and you can understand the investment made to get promotion (even if Bateman managed to waste the 10's of thousands from the FA cup run).

It just goes to show Jon and Neil spend more shrewdly on developing players who are in it for the club and the game, than Bateman with his more experienced and costly players who have moved on once the budget got cut to a more realistic level.

Doesn't matter what league you're in, there's numerous examples of lower league clubs having bigger budgets than their higher level rivals. I just think the amount of experienced players we had in a much larger squad under Bateman would equate to a larger budget than we currently have.

Totally agree,Glen STFC, so you would think we would have a spare bit of dosh when a quality player becomes available.

It seems to me that Steve Bateman over spent to try and get promotion,where Bakes and Unders may be under spending but I do not know the facts and am only guessing,assuming Epic Rebel is right on what he said on his post.

Stuart, have the gate numbers gone up since we got promotion? - barely.

Has our off the field income increased? well there is the MYFC link, but is this greater than the sponsorship from Lakes?

Is Steve Easterbrook still prepared to put his hand as deep into his pockets? well the way he has been messed around with the new ground and the costs he has incurred I would expect him to be cautious with his spending.

Were we desperate to get out of the dog and duck league?  yes we were, and you can understand the investment made to get promotion (even if Bateman managed to waste the 10's of thousands from the FA cup run).

It just goes to show Jon and Neil spend more shrewdly on developing players who are in it for the club and the game, than Bateman with his more experienced and costly players who have moved on once the budget got cut to a more realistic level.

Mostly very valid points,which I'm in agreement with,Rebel 1965.Not sure on the Steve Bateman remark about 10's of thousands.

Surely most of the profit went to the club. 

Our managers now are doing a fine job,so perhaps we can trust them to spend a bit extra on the right players,when they are available or needed, if that is the truth on their budget.  

• 2 weeks later...

It seems Dave Anderson has quit as Harrow Borough manager,citing poor results as the reason for him stepping down

I'm no more party to overall club finances than anyone else but I do know the FA cup money was very significant, especially the 'pool' money we received at the end of the season.

You also have to factor in this season a significantly higher travelling budget due to the distances involved.