Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

Weymouth also have Tim Sills and Stewart Yetton 2 very decent and experienced players at this level:

Will be a lot of tough games for sure, and we may have to add Hereford into the league also...

However can't wait!!!

Expected pre-season favourites Chesham seem to be in turmoil.

After losing their two top goal scorers Drew Roberts and Chris Dillon to big spending St Neots, they have now lost their 3rd top scorer James Potton to Hemel Hempstead.

Still a team top be reckoned with but unless they can find some fire-power from somewhere they will not be winning the league.

As it stands I make money bags St Neots the early pre-season favourites.

In a certain way I take my hat off to St Neots.

Last season they cut their cloth accordingly and as such struggled a bit. This season it looks like they're going for it.

There are teams out there who just keep spending regardless of the consequences and eventually pay the price and risk going bust.

Utter negligence from the people running these clubs.

In a certain way I take my hat off to St Neots.

Last season they cut their cloth accordingly and as such struggled a bit. This season it looks like they're going for it.

There are teams out there who just keep spending regardless of the consequences and eventually pay the price and risk going bust.

Utter negligence from the people running these clubs.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here,RR?

I think there is nothing wrong with chairmen that splash the cash but where they often go wrong is they either want to meddle in team's affairs and undermine their managers by making football related decisions or they make a poor judgement on the manager they appoint, who in turn, subsequently waste the money the chairman has provided.

When you look at our last three chairmen,they have all had the club at heart but were/are very different in style.

I don't know for a fact but I would think Alan Thorne was probably the wealthiest and had the advantage of the experience,of running a professional club,before he got the reins of Slough.

He tried valiantly to make the club self-sufficient but must have spent a pretty penny with the calibre of players,management and staff he employed and the big expenditure he spent on doing up the Wexham Park ground.

Martin Deaner over spent on players but apart from Graham Roberts and the short lived bizarre appointment of Director of Football of Alan Brazil,most of his managers appointments were relatively cheap being they were ex players.

One season under the suspect guidance of Steve Browne,we had a constant revolving door of player acquisitions,which was something like a total of 50+ in a season ! Which was plain daft and financially insane.

I liked Martin Deaner and am probably in the minority that actually didn't mind Andrew Deaner as a footballer or bloke but do think Martin wasted no end of money on some of his footballing decisions.

Creep that I am ! LOL! I think we are very fortunate to have a steady Eddie,prudent,wise Chairman, that we have currently in Steve Easterbrook,who so far in his tenure,has made two excellent appointments with Steve Bateman and the Bakes / Unders combination.

It could be argued that Steve Bateman wasted some of Mr Easterbrook's money on expensive big name players but I think,largely Steve Bateman was a successful appointment,as he took Slough to the upper reaches of the Central division and stabilised the team,as one of the best in the division.

Steve Easterbrook has also made the right calls with Steve Bateman's departure and got the appointment spot on with Bakes and Unders. He also seems to have proved many of the supporters wrong,myself included,about our doubts of the MYFC involvement.

We are extremely lucky to have a chairman like this ! So I am not bothered what other chairmen do at there clubs.

The only one that counts is the one here at Slough !    

I also have no problem with a Chairman that wants to spend his money on a football club as long as they don't get the club into a downward spiral of debt which in turn puts the club at risk.

I'm not sure that Alan Thorne and Martin Deaner had 'the club at heart'. They were not and never were Slough supporters before they came to Slough, they were business men and for one reason or another wanted to take over the running of the club.

I'm not knocking what they did for Slough, I just don't think they truly had the club at heart. 

Steve Easterbrook has been a Slough supporter all his life and without doubt has 'the club at heart' and I'm sure we all feel the club's future is safe with Steve as our Chairman.

All I will say about Andrew Deaner is that what he lacked in ability he made up for in the effort he put in.

I also have no problem with a Chairman that wants to spend his money on a football club as long as they don't get the club into a downward spiral of debt which in turn puts the club at risk.

I'm not sure that Alan Thorne and Martin Deaner had 'the club at heart'. They were not and never were Slough supporters before they came to Slough, they were business men and for one reason or another wanted to take over the running of the club.

I'm not knocking what they did for Slough, I just don't think they truly had the club at heart. 

Steve Easterbrook has been a Slough supporter all his life and without doubt has 'the club at heart' and I'm sure we all feel the club's future is safe with Steve as our Chairman.

All I will say about Andrew Deaner is that what he lacked in ability he made up for in the effort he put in.

Wise words,RR.

I think both Alan Thorne and Martin Deaner came to Slough as businessmen but got embroiled in affection for the club and it's support,after a couple of years down the line.

Both tried laudably to bring success and kept the club going,when many businessmen who are only after a fast buck,would have run a mile to wash their hands of a very costly project.

It's good that we have found such a good one in Steve Easterbrook but like us all,he isn't getting any younger!

I think we will all be pensioners [or 6 foot under] by the time we get a new ground,at this rate.

I hope that a back-up/contingency plan is in place if Steve Easterbrook tires of carrying such a heavy load.

So we are somewhat protected from ending up in unscrupulous hands further down the bumpy road that Slough Town FC seems on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Darren Wheeler has signed for Ryman Premier Division's Bognor Regis Town.

Not sure where he lives but if anywhere near Godalming, Bracknell, Fleet etc it's a fair distance to go for training twice a week.

Puzzles me how Luke Knight is going to get on with this,given that he lives in Bedford.

Should be fine, he has a vast amount of games up his neck of the woods, and in terms of Games, there will be more Tuesday night games, and depending on travelling there will be certain nights off etc at the right times, like there we're this season..

We work with everyone, so if for example we felt he would benefit from a night off, we would do that, same can be said for a Wooze for example.