Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

Morning all.

Yesterday I was watching the latest edition on ITV4 of "The Big Match Revisited". For those of you too young to remember, The Big Match was ITV's equivalent of BBC's

Match of the Day.

The games were from the year 1980 .One of the games shown was highlights of the First Division game at Elland Road between Leeds and Arsenal.

( Arsenal won 5-0. )

Playing at number 10 for Arsenal that day was a 19 year old Brian McDermott.

Back in 1980 I too would have been 19 years old.

I couldn't help but think how could I have ever have been so young?

How could that 19 year old that I was then turn into such a grumpy old git as I am now ?

Back in 1980, compact hand held video recorders and mobile phones were things to be found only in futuristic sci-fi films.

Nowadays kids only have to burp or fart or eat their favourite meal to have it video recorded on some handheld device and stored somewhere forever more in the vast infinite web of the internet.  

In 1980 Slough Town were on the verge of one of their greatest ever seasons.

In 1980/81 we won the Isthmian Premier League, the Isthmian League (Hitachi) Cup and the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup.

What a season that was.

Forty years ago ! FOUR decades !

Where have the years gone to?

I really wish that there had been some video footage of the team from that season.

It would be incredible to watch my greatest ever Slough player Micky Kiely playing in the amber shirt, as well as Eggie James, Dave Russell, Barry Friend, Eric Young and all the others. 

In 1980 I would never have thought that you would be able to watch video highlights of more or less every Slough Town match at the touch of a button.

The years go by much too quickly.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

13 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Morning all.

Yesterday I was watching the latest edition on ITV4 of "The Big Match Revisited". For those of you too young to remember, The Big Match was ITV's equivalent of BBC's

Match of the Day.

The games were from the year 1980 .One of the games shown was highlights of the First Division game at Elland Road between Leeds and Arsenal.

( Arsenal won 5-0. )

How could that 19 year old that I was then turn into such a grumpy old git as I am now ?

Back in 1980, compact hand held video recorders and mobile phones were things to be found only in futuristic sci-fi films.

Nowadays kids only have to burp or fart or eat their favourite meal to have it video recorded on some handheld device and stored somewhere forever more in the vast infinite web of the internet.  

In 1980/81 we won the Isthmian Premier League, the Isthmian League (Hitachi) Cup and the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup.

What a season that was.

I wish so much that there had been some video footage of the team from that season.

It would be incredible to watch my greatest ever Slough player Micky Kiely playing in the amber shirt, as well as Eggie James, Dave Russell, Barry Friend, Eric Young and all the others. 

In 1980 I would never have thought that you would be able to watch video highlights of more or less every Slough Town match at the touch of a button.

Grumpiness come with age HR and a bit of practice ?

BTW loving these morning all posts ? 

30 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Morning all.

Match of the Day.

( Arsenal won 5-0. )

What a season that was.

I really wish that there had been some video footage of the team from that season.

I started watching Slough at the Dolphin in the mid 60's.

The 70's and 80's passed me by because of playing Saturday and Sunday park football and the obligatory discos/nightclubs and of course the opposite sex.

So although I know the players names you've mentioned unfortunately I didn't really get to see them play.

I have watched the big match revisited and one of the noticeable things is the state of the pitches/mud heaps.

They certainly made for exciting games but of course would never be allowed in today's pc/health and safety world. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

I started watching Slough at the Dolphin in the mid 60's.

The 70's and 80's passed me by because of playing Saturday and Sunday park football and the obligatory discos/nightclubs and of course the opposite sex.

So although I know the players names you've mentioned unfortunately I didn't really get to see them play.

I have watched the big match revisited and one of the noticeable things is the state of the pitches/mud heaps.

They certainly made for exciting games but of course would never be allowed in today's pc/health and safety world. 

So you missed out on watching (for me) one of our best ever teams then Reading Rebel ?

I hope she was worth it !?

Glad to see that you appreciate my posts.

( The tenner is in the mail as promised. )

What you say about the pitches in those old "Big Match" programmes is absolutely correct.

A few months ago, the episode I was watching had Brian Moore starting his match commentary with something like.....

" And a great deal of praise must go to the head groundsman and his team for getting the pitch in such  good condition."

There wasn't a blade of grass to be seen anywhere.

The pitch looked like the Somme on a bad day.

And then on other days the pitches were white ice rinks.

No mamby-pamby health and safety in those days !

It makes you wonder what players such as Jimmy Greaves, George Best and others would have done on the billiard table pitches they have now, with no tackling from behind allowed either!

Edited by Holyport Rebel

24 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

So you missed out on watching (for me) one of our best ever teams then Reading Rebel ?

I hope she was worth it !?

Glad to see that you appreciate my posts.

( The tenner is in the mail as promised. )

What you say about the pitches in those old "Big Match" programmes is absolutely correct.

A few months ago, the episode I was watching had Brian Moore starting his match commentary with something like.....

" And a great deal of praise must go to the head groundsman and his team for getting the pitch in such  good condition."

There wasn't a blade of grass to be seen anywhere.

The pitch looked like the Somme on a bad day.

And then on other days the pitches were white ice rinks.

No mamby-pamby health and safety in those days !

It makes you wonder what players such as Jimmy Greaves, George Best and others would have done on the billiard table pitches they have now, with no tackling from behind allowed either!

If you mean the team that comprised of Roger Day et al from Enfield then yes I did.

Not sure where the money came from but they must of cost a few bob to assemble.

Mind you the sides in the 60's that contained John Delaney, John Ford, Bobby Hatt etc were no slouches and probably for a fraction of the cost. 

The 1980-81 Isthmian champions elected not to join the Conference, instead doing so 10 years later when our next Isthmian championship was attained. The money clearly was an issue as we then went into receivership and were eventually bought by the Thorne family and we know how that turned out!

8 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Morning all.

Match of the Day.

( Arsenal won 5-0. )

What a season that was.

This.

14 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Some FA Cup results from earlier

H&Y           0   Sutton  U  1

Leyton O   1    Ebbsfleet  0

Halifax      7    Maidenhead 4

Charlton   4     H&W         0

Boreham W  2  Eastleigh  0

Some excellent efforts from all of the non league clubs against league opposition.

Maidenhead losing 7-4 was a bit of a surprise scoreline.

22 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Some excellent efforts from all of the non league clubs against league opposition.

Maidenhead losing 7-4 was a bit of a surprise scoreline.

Made I laugh.

1 hour ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Is it correct that they still haven't made the 2nd round of the FA Cup?  Amazing considering both their longevity at their present level and at National South, if true.

Maidenhead were renamed Maidenhead United after the 1919/20 season ended.

Maidenhead reached the FA Cup quarter-finals in three successive seasons 1872–73, 1873–74 and 1874–75 losing to Oxford University, Royal Engineers and Old Etonians respectively. The last time that they reached the FA Cup 2nd Round Proper was in 1886/7 when they lost 2-3 at home to
Dulwich Hamlet.

The club has not reached the second round in either name since.

Edited by Shredding Green