Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Scottish Referendum

Strange in a way that we've not brought the subject up but it now dominates most newspapers over several pages and articles daily and this has built up over months.

So long in fact that I've completely changed my mind from first wanting them to stay to now wanting them to go. Arrogant sh!ts.

Strange in a way that we've not brought the subject up

We have, on 'The Weirs' thread

We have, on 'The Weirs' thread

I suppose slagging off two lottery winners for their donations could just about be considered bringing the topic up however it's predictable that you can't offer a coherent contribution. Thanks for the attempt though.

If I lived in Scotland I would definitely be voting for independence because I would never again be governed by an English Tory Party. For mainly selfish reasons I hope they vote no, as it unlikely we would ever rid ourselves of the Conservatives without Scottish Labour MPs.

Cameron - and Brown to be fair are promising the Scots Devo Max if the vote is NO. Following that MPs from Scotland will no longer be able to vote on English, NI and Welsh issues, and following that Constituencies North of the Border will only sit in the Holyrood parliament and not Westminster so you'll lose that hope of ever having again the opportunity of a Labour Government either way Alan.

5 - 10 years after Devo Max they'll be voting on Independence again.

I want a No vote as it I think it suits both the rest of UK and Scotland to remain together.

Either way it would be bad for Labour as already stated - I think it will be bad for Cameron as well as I think the knives are already out for him in the Conservative party and this will add a lot of fuel to the fire if it's a yes vote.

I just get the impression that Alex Salmond and the rest of the SNP haven't really thought out the consequences of splitting away from the UK and are going into this blindly.

Agree with Loose about voting again in 5-10 years.

Surely it's a heaven made opportunity to jettison the sweaty socks once and for all isn't it and let them go their own way

I just feel it would be bad for England economically if Scotland went their own way. 

Cup of Tea - I think that goes without saying and from a personal work perspective it will be a nightmare trying to sort out the fallout from a yes vote

Scotland population accounts for only 10% of the total UK. We currently - from Westminster subsidise every man, woman and child an extra £1400 per annum over and above any public spending per capita in the remaining UK population.

Scotland with Oil reserves will not meet their balance of payments and government and welfare spending will be in excess of their total tax income.

With financial institutions, major companies with investors and savers in the rest of the UK already making statements about moving their operations south England, Wales and NI will see a rise in job opportunities.

The SNP have not refuted any of the above, they've nothing to say other than they will be better off alone.

Oil production is dropping, up until 2010 production was in the region of £6bn income, in 2013 that has dropped to under £4bn of income. It will be no loss to us.

Thank you Loose, that's quite interesting. Saw that about the banks last night.

It would be interesting to see how much revenue is generated from North Sea oil and how much of that the UK might retain if there were a Yes vote.

Like I said, the SNP seem to be going into this blindly.

Edited by cup of tea

I suppose the Scots can kiss goodbye to any chance of hosting events such as the British Open golf tournament at Turnberry, St Andrews, Muirfield, Carnoustie or Royal Troon again. Maybe NI will get a chance to host it at Portrush in the nearer future once again.

I wonder how many other instances such as this they'll lose from current expected tourism income.

It would be interesting to see how much revenue is generated from North Sea oil and how much of that the UK might retain if there were a Yes vote.

Do we actually need the sweaty socks oil, there are plenty of other fields and reserves we can tap into even if we have to import a bit more than normal from the middle east and Russia.

I'm interested to know how it will affect the military, the Army in particular. Have Scottish regiments not pledged their allegiance to the Crown? Would Scotland form it's own Army and try to recruit from existing Regiments south of the border?

I hope that they all vote no.

This will affect currency and the price of imports if they vote yes.

If I lived in Scotland I would definitely be voting for independence because I would never again be governed by an English Tory Party. For mainly selfish reasons I hope they vote no, as it unlikely we would ever rid ourselves of the Conservatives without Scottish Labour MPs.

Why don't you bugger off to another country then?

I hope the country never had to see another Labour government. The last one almost made us bankrupt. Of course narrow-minded people such as yourself will never admit to that!!

I bet you will never admit as to how much money you made under Thatcher's government!

I'm interested to know how it will affect the military, the Army in particular. Have Scottish regiments not pledged their allegiance to the Crown? Would Scotland form it's own Army and try to recruit from existing Regiments south of the border?

I've seen mention that Wee Alex has baggsied some Scottish regiments, a frigate and assorted bath toys plus about 7 or 8 Eurofighter Typhoons.

Although it will be up to the personnel whether they transfer south I expect.

I hope that they all vote no.

This will affect currency and the price of imports if they vote yes.

Why don't you bugger off to another country then?

I hope the country never had to see another Labour government. The last one almost made us bankrupt. Of course narrow-minded people such as yourself will never admit to that!!

I bet you will never admit as to how much money you made under Thatcher's government!

I earned a very good living during the Thatcher years, as I did whenever we had a Labour government, and I am now enjoying a comfortable retirement under Camaron. IMO the narrow minded people are ones like yourself if you cast your vote with  only your pockets in mind.

Edited by missunderstood

Both governments in their present form are quite frankly pathetic with no back bone and basically governed by Europe although neither would ever admit it.

As for the Yes/No vote,the Union is stronger with all concerned together but as an Englishman,should Scotland choose to go and I hope they don't,they stand to lose a lot more than England could.

I believe the armed forces would remain as it is in terms of working together but the Scottish army would be funded from their government so you would expect it to be somewhat downgraded.

I actually don't think they will vote for Independence but if they do,the thing that would worry me is that 1/5th of the country are of Irish descent and a large amount of those do not like the British and still view Ireland as their motherland,which in itself is not a problem but when they are determined the future of a nation that many don't view as theirs then surely it becomes a big issue

I don't care either way, but have been amused this week by the way that all the main party leaders have been up there trying to push the NO case. If anything was going to make the Scots decide to vote yes, that was it!

Would make a wonderful episode of The Thick of It!