Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 25th April

Smudge

Horley and Chipstead based Epsom and Ewell are both nearer to Uckfield and Sevenoaks than AFC Croydon Athletic.Both have better links to the M25,so my guess if anyone got moved it would be 1 or both of them.

If Horley are told to move to Sussex and DFC  ground-sharing next season, it might create head-aches for two League Match Secs., organising games.

As I've said on another thread, we are aware of our geographical location as are Horley. However, with Holmesdale, Fisher, Croydon on their doorstep and a few others not that far away, it would probably be better for AFCCA to have those trips as opposed to Camberley, Badshot, Farnham etc.

As for the promotion from Step 6 to Step 5 not being pooled, that may be the case in theory but it will stick out clearly on a map if AFCCA and AFCU aren't moved over to cover the shortage there. 

To conclude I'm not trying to save clubs, people always seem to think I have some sort of vested interest. If we are moved it will be difficult for us, no doubt, but if we were looking for promotion to Step Four and got it, then we'd be making those journeys so we will have to see what turns out. As with VP I am speculating on a purely neutral basis, and both of us are looking at permutations based on what has gone before. They moved Croydon last year so I'd be surprised if they suddenly moved the Eastbournes and Hailsham over instead ahead of AFCCA and remember AFC Uckfield were nearly moved a year or two ago so know they are vulnerable. 

If you are in the top three and your ground is good enough, you'll go up. If you are in the bottom three you are vulnerable. We all know the rules. However, exactly where we play next season is a bit more up in the air these days and we need to realise that while the Kent clubs continue to feed the Ryman at an alarming rate, there are less there to take their place and every other league footprint moves west as they spread west themselves.

On another subject I would love 20 teams in our top flight to bring us in line with the Kent and Sussex based leagues personally as midweek trips would be reduced by four on a 22 team league and one of our clubs could have a Vase run without incurring a massive fixture backlog.

Here is the current projection on another forum: This guy is quite knowledgeable although does always want to place Fleet Spurs in our League every year! Also he has relegated two from CCL yet none from the Southern Counties East League so may not prove to be gospel but it is a good indicator:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/163rQigkU0WPSVnsENhnFbiBiH54sRi_QY3PLOtz0MuQ/edit#gid=0

Is this such a bad idea E&E?. With their ground just off the M3 J4a they are closer to the centre of CCL patch than both Hartley Wintney and Alton, so would seem a good fit just by looking at maps. Within 6-7 miles there could be local derbies with HW, Camberley, Frimley Green & Eversley plus Farnham & Ash are not much further afield. A much better fit than the Wessex League  - if they ever got promoted to Wessex Premier their closest opponents would likely be some 30 miles away at Whitchurch or Winchester  :huh: Where would you have them in your proposed structure?

Edited by Green_Fingers

Sorry GF, having read that again, I didn't make that very clear in my last post.

I'm not saying that the move for Fleet Spurs is a bad idea; quite the reverse in fact. They just never seem to apply for our League!

It's a bit like Ascot United. Surely their journeys would be less in the CCL but unless the FA moves them over (or Fleet Spurs) it doesn't look as though they will be requesting a change of opponents voluntarily. However, the guy who does the projections, quite logically places them in with us. He is a Warrington based lad so it is possible that he is just looking at maps here and making assumptions from their postcode. I know I did that for the Northern venues when I produced the projected reshuffle last season. I haven't done a new projection for this season as the FA still haven't got back to me on my theory so with so many other things to do, I've parked that until I hear anything positive from the powers that be!

Quick update, it now appears as though Redhill have failed to get a reprieve, despite Bishops Cleeve at the same step having around half the number of points that they do and staying up. They could be directed down to the CCL which might cause a third team to be relegated, although depending on their stomach for a fight they may appeal and this could run for a while. As we said earlier about our league though, if you fall below the line (as Redhill did last year too) then you are vulnerable. Of course if Bishops Cleeve went down, that could push the Hellenic or Western League west and Ascot could end up here anyway.

That said, it does seem unfair to relegate three from our division while reprieving the bottom club in Kent (Rochester United). Maybe this happens to our League because we have 22 instead of 20. Just a thought.

Edited by E&E Rich

Thought the anoraks on here said FA Directive 'The bottom Club in Step 5 Leagues will be relegated regardless' now it is not the case. WHY.

I think there may be a relaxation of the rules if a League is short of numbers. The Kent Invicta League doesn't have the same connection with the Southern Counties East as they are separate Leagues whereas we have the two divisions. However, it still doesn't seem right and its almost as if Chertsey may end up being penalised just because our league has a second division.

Thought the anoraks on here said FA Directive 'The bottom Club in Step 5 Leagues will be relegated regardless' now it is not the case. WHY.

It is my understanding that because Woodstock Sports have folded then they will be placed, notionally, bottom of the table and it is this that will reprieve Rochester. Lingfield FC have also applied to be relegated to Sussex Div 2.

Sorry GF, having read that again, I didn't make that very clear in my last post.

I'm not saying that the move for Fleet Spurs is a bad idea; quite the reverse in fact. They just never seem to apply for our League!

They have done, officially via the FA, at least twice that I'm aware of. They've been turned down both times. The last application I'm aware of was the season when Alton Town were moved into the CCL - who didn't apply. Fleet Spurs were told 'not yet'.

I know they were a division lower than Alton but it still seemed strange at the time.

**edit**

Just found the CCL statement from the time mentioning Fleet Spurs' transfer request on Bedfont & Feltham's website. It was 2013-14.

http://www.bedfontandfelthamfc.co.uk/news/combined-counties-league-2013-2014-959847.html

Edited by VPCTFC

I think there may be a relaxation of the rules if a League is short of numbers.

The FA handbook specifically states that the bottom clubs at step 4 and step 5 will be relegated. Not 'if', 'may' or 'could'.

As AFCCA's chairman has pointed out though - a team withdrawing, either voluntarily at the end of the season or through folding mid-season, is placed at the bottom of the table so can fill the definite relegation place. So it's not really that definite after all.....

That said, it does seem unfair to relegate three from our division while reprieving the bottom club in Kent (Rochester United). Maybe this happens to our League because we have 22 instead of 20. Just a thought.

This is one of the few things that the member clubs can change as promotion and relegation between the same league at steps 5 & 6 is a matter for that league. Our league has three relegation places - some have two. As the SCEL doesn't have a step 6 division it's down to local agreements and/or the FA to decide for them. If our clubs don't like the current CCL system then it can be changed via a vote at the AGM, assuming proper notification etc.

Bear in mind though - it'll mean reducing promotion from Division One to match relegation from the Premier.

Another one for conversation

Ben Murray and Ashford will not get promoted next year

Odds please

Well, with only one promotion place available, achieving the step up is a massive challenge for any club.

I'd dearly love Ashford to go up, but I don't assume it's going to happen. There are some good clubs and teams in this League and you've obviously seen something in the games you've watched that makes you raise the point. 

From the (comparatively few) matches I've seen, Ben is building an exciting team who - at times - play attractive football. The key will be how the club builds on what has been achieved this season. That means adding a little bit more experience in key areas, maybe improving slightly on the discipline front and retaining as many of the existing squad as possible. There's a long time between now and next season, though, who knows what might happen?

Well, with only one promotion place available, achieving the step up is a massive challenge for any club.

I'd dearly love Ashford to go up, but I don't assume it's going to happen. There are some good clubs and teams in this League and you've obviously seen something in the games you've watched that makes you raise the point.

From the (comparatively few) matches I've seen, Ben is building an exciting team who - at times - play attractive football. The key will be how the club builds on what has been achieved this season. That means adding a little bit more experience in key areas, maybe improving slightly on the discipline front and retaining as many of the existing squad as possible. There's a long time between now and next season, though, who knows what might happen?

I would have my money on the year after cos he has a good young squad that are growing together