Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Romford Away

Congratulations on the win.

Hornchurch clearly had a lot more skill but unfortunately we made the mistake of coming down to Romford's level and Romford are used to being down there. If we had played the way we can play we would have buried Romford.

Hopefully we can learn lessons from tonight - we certainly got to be more careful with the offside trap for starters. 

Need to move on from this and look forward to Saturday.

Game felt more like a sloppy preseason game more than a local league derby.

Feel it was a game of two halves. Hornchurch more dominating the first half, while Romford, clearly more up for it in the second half and i guess after letting 5 in on Saturday, then only rightly so.

Think tonights game is a wake up call. This season is not going to be easy as some may think.

Its going to be a long season.

Anyway, no one wins the league after two games. Long way to yet.

Keep going Hornchurch!!

Also can we play with fight and togetherness like we saw in preseason?!

If both clubs could produce games like tonight's every week it would certainly put bums on seats, and I thought it was a credit to both teams. You definitely don't get the commitment we witnessed tonight in the Premier League. 

Decent first half I thought and we should have converted our chances. Second half wasn't great and fair play to Romford who exploited our defensive weaknesses and defended well. Have to wonder why our pre season centre halves warm the bench and possibly our best left back plays out of position. Must be a reason but I don't see it. Back to winning ways Saturday hopefully.

Sounds like I missed a decent first Half performance,I also missed pre season so don't know too much about the centre half issue.

What I did see tonight was players running with the ball at times when it's easier to pass and at other times especially on the right,not running with the ball as far as they should and then the strikers come looking for it but come too deep,then when we attack there's no one in the box.

I know many of this side are new but maybe it's a thing where if we don't take our chances early,and go behind then as a relegated said maybe the players fear the worse,although saying that they did come back well and showed great spirit Saturday,but today we just didn't look like creating anything once behind,too many wasted balls when it's easier to play an easier pass.

It's way too early to take much from these two games and some players are obviously under trial to an extent,they may look good pre season but once the real thing gets under way you tend to find out much more about them.

There's nothing to worry about really,yeah it's a bad result,it's against a local rival and one that we know we should of beaten comfortably but they raised their game after shipping in 5 Saturday and all credit to them and their reaction at the end showed that they obviously put that amount of effort in to it.

I was angry last night and probably did Romford a disservice. They were well organised, kept a good back line and took their chances in the second half.

We've clearly have some work to do, I don't know all the ins and outs of the fitness of the players, the operating budget and have any tactical awareness. There would have been things I would have done differently but whether they would have worked or not I don't know. I know we can play better than that though.

Edited by cup of tea

For any neutrals at Ship Lane last night it must have been a cracking game to watch and a great advert for non-league football. I don't remember one single nasty challenge or attempt to con the referee, and it seemed like a good old fashioned cup tie. 

For those of us who've been going a few years this is a big derby,the biggest this season.

Always nice to get one over on them,albeit I think we've only ever played them 3/4 times in competitive matches but there's been niggle since they reformed and ground shared with us in the early 90s and then when we first had the money,mostly good natured but at times some pretty vindictive stuff has emerged,oh well....I get on with most of their fans but don't like the club

:wanker: :smileybukkake:

The 1st half I thought we looked a decent side and if one of our early chances had been converted to me there was only one winner.

I'm in agreement with an earlier comment regarding the defence,Alex left back and Junior right back are no brainers for me.

Once we resorted to long balls we made it an even game. I also thought the number 5 played well.Romford were well organised and with it being a local derby were well up for it.

My main concern at present is the front two,I just hope it's not another Gerrard and Lampard situation. They don't seem to be much of an understanding at the moment and from what I heard about our preseason games the boy Poku looks an able deputy.

Still think we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season and going by last night Romford will be comfortably in mid division.

Agreed about the front two,they are top strikers who will find their feet.

Not easy starting a new partnership and it's a new team so does help to be patient

It was only the second time our two central defenders had played together and our top keeper walked out a few days before the match. I think you might find RLN much harder than you ever imagined.