Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2016/2017 Fixtures

Fixtures on a monthly or twice monthly basis is ludicrous. Many clubs try to generate additional revenue by hiring out their premises for private functions. This cannot be done without the full fixture list being given out at the start of the season.

Well its alright for Hoddesdon certainly as a quick lok at your early fixtures so pull the ladder up mate as its not in your backyard. Mst leagues operate on a home and away basis. Our ground share is simple when we are at home Baldock are away.

Of course there are time when there will be a couple of home or away but having 4/5 in clusters is simply ridiculous and should be easily rectified.

If it so difficult simply go back to dishing a couple of months fixtures only. Surely we can get balanced fixtures that way.

I simply don't accept that Step 4 leagues can arrange a full league programme and we cant. I understand they get preference to Step 5 so hence the reason we should go back to doing it monthly or 2 months.  Mind you they also seem to also have an ability to rearrange postponed games between them without putting more pressure on their fixture secretary.  

I've now got the task of making an official complaint to the league which isn't ideal as I know Karen does her best but the way the fixtures fall makes the league all a bit mickey mouse and this has been going on now for a few seasons and its about time it was addressed. A month or 2 month programme should make it easier for the league to control properly 

What a whiner.  Just get on with it.

Why cant you accept the fixtures list like everyone else has. Stop moaning and for the record Hoddesdon before this season had to play 7 away games before they could play at home because of the ground share with the cricket club.

I am totally baffled as to why the SSML wrestles with the fixture list every season. I have suggested in the past that the League could do well to follow the model of the Southern League whereby the onus is on the club secretaries to resolve/rearrange any postponed fixtures. Before publishing the list consideration should be given to the proximity of clubs so that 'derbies'  for Bank Holidays could be best utilised. Fixed dates for First/Second Round of FA Cup, A fixed date for The FA Vase Rounds 1&2 ( No Vase date in this seasons fixtures) and a fixed midweek date for League Challenge Trophy.

Taking into account Ground sharing and availability  of grounds the fixtures should be published without the need to force clubs to have ridiculous numbers of consecutive home and away fixtures.

Acknowledged that County Cups come into the frame and do cause an added problem - but surely  they could be treated the same as any other reason to postpone a fixture.

The club secretaries should notify the league of any postponement  waterlogged pitch/frozen pitch/County cup - having notified the league, the secretaries of the clubs involved in the postponement have 42 days to rearrange the fixture. Failure to attempt to agree a rearranged date and without reasonable reasons, the clubs will have a date handed to them - failure to comply will result in a fine.

As a former Football Secretary of a Southern League Club  I can vouch that this system works.

There will no doubt be the "what if" brigade - but we have created a problem that could easily be resolved.

Be a bit more radical and go for it!!!

I am totally baffled as to why the SSML wrestles with the fixture list every season. I have suggested in the past that the League could do well to follow the model of the Southern League whereby the onus is on the club secretaries to resolve/rearrange any postponed fixtures. Before publishing the list consideration should be given to the proximity of clubs so that 'derbies'  for Bank Holidays could be best utilised. Fixed dates for First/Second Round of FA Cup, A fixed date for The FA Vase Rounds 1&2 ( No Vase date in this seasons fixtures) and a fixed midweek date for League Challenge Trophy.

Taking into account Ground sharing and availability  of grounds the fixtures should be published without the need to force clubs to have ridiculous numbers of consecutive home and away fixtures.

Acknowledged that County Cups come into the frame and do cause an added problem - but surely  they could be treated the same as any other reason to postpone a fixture.

The club secretaries should notify the league of any postponement  waterlogged pitch/frozen pitch/County cup - having notified the league, the secretaries of the clubs involved in the postponement have 42 days to rearrange the fixture. Failure to attempt to agree a rearranged date and without reasonable reasons, the clubs will have a date handed to them - failure to comply will result in a fine.

As a former Football Secretary of a Southern League Club  I can vouch that this system works.

There will no doubt be the "what if" brigade - but we have created a problem that could easily be resolved.

Interesting points. But ground sharing is more here than at the Southern League 

The exact procedure is:

"Where a match has been postponed for any reason, the two Clubs concerned must agree within 7 days of the postponement a new date (which shall, save in exceptional circumstances, be within 42 days of the original date) and in default, the competition Secretary shall determine the new date."

Fixtures are being re-done over the weekend following feedback from clubs

Can I suggest that rather than publishing them you issue to clubs in advance with an embargo and await feedback on errors so that corrections can be made before being issued rather than letting volunteers waste our time on adding to club websites only to have the work cancelled.

Fixtures are being re-done over the weekend following feedback from clubs

What a shambles , this fixture situation should have been resolved after last season but the league just press on in the same fashion , this along with the reserve divisions fiasco shows how out of touch the people who run this league are.

Elaborate?

I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth. But I'd assume he's referring to the Hoddesdon issue being a club issue rather than a league imposed issue.

The majority of clubs at this level are run on peanuts.

And several consecutive weeks of away fixtures are several consecutive weeks of no peanuts from the gate and no peanuts from the bar.

There's a lot more to running a football club than what you see on the pitch, young man.