Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Merstham

seemgee

Merstham were well-organised. That being said, Town weren't very impressive. Really missed Youngs and Blackman today. Matt Johnson ran his socks off again, but we struggled to control the centre of the park. We played with wingers but failed to get beyond their full-backs. The Merstham keeper looked pretty suspect from his mis-kick in the first minute, and yet we didn't test him throughout the 90 mins.

Is that 4 draws at home already this season? I think I'm entitled to have a bit of a moan with the club emails suggesting we fancy ourselves as title contenders. Not on today's showing.

Very flat throughout and what a dull game!

Aninteresting team selection which I didn’t really feel worked out. I don’t understand why we don’t play with 2 centre forwards? We looked better when we did that in the 2nd half. Would like to see BB and Liam play together perhaps.

Having witnessed most of the games so far this season, one thing we definitely need to improve on is our crossing. Far too often we kick the call out or don’t beat the first defender. 

It was good to finally keep a clean sheet and Matt Nolan performed very well deputising for Joe. I also thought Dan Rumens performed very well as well. 

All down to Margate next week!

A real miserable afternoon... wet cold and a pretty forgettable game... thought we did ok for the first half hour but after that we never really threatened... Merstham played some nice passing football which was much more accurate than ours...jeez some of the passing and crossing was woeful....  strange substitution replacing Bilal who I thought was the most creative with Hope in midfield which just about put the lock on a 0-0 draw.... not sure who awarded Billy Bricknell MOM bit I saw a man in a white coat being taken away in a van.... 

There were 4 good opportunities in the first 5 minutes. Goalkeeper fluffed a back pass, Britnell was unlucky with a header from edge of the goal area, Greene really should have had a first time shot rather than try to control the ball and a difficult chance from the edge of the box. After that we were dreadful and towards the end Merstham were the better side. 

Agree with the general consensus of the comments above - was really pleased to be at a game having missed last few weeks, but wet day and not that much excitement.

The Merstham pass back from kick off so nearly went in, and showed how jittery the keeper was! First 20 mins it seemed like only a matter of time, but after that Merstham grew in confidence. They clearly had the plan that the more possession they have the less time we have to play our game and it worked!

Positives: Good performance from Matt Nolan overall - just one error I remember, but a great save at the end. Good experience for him - should we need him to play again -, and our 1st clean sheet.

My MOM was Aaron Greene who was determined all the way through, and in the last 5 mins was doing all he could, flying tackles, still up and down the pitch. Remi linked up well with him and Matt Johnson was a true leader again.

Plus we are still unbeaten, in the play offs, and have a team that generally entertains. If you compare yesterdays starting 11 to a year ago there is no comparison.

And the negatives - I dont believe we made their keeper make a proper save!

Yes we had a few players out  - Youngs & Wright (wedding), Blackman (suspended?) and Taffe (injured) - but the starting 11 were all good players.

With 3 home draws (and the Bedford defeat) , looks like we need to find ways of dominating at home the way we have done away.

Bench was not that strong - I would have happily seen Mario come on for the last 20.. and I do still feel we should substitute earlier, and that Liam should have had more time. Ironic after Hockney & Junior have just gone on loan!

Overall though in July I would have more than taken where we are at this stage of the season with such a new squad. 

Happy with our position but I'm sure there's much in the tank.

Quite often our play can be frustrating as it breaks down with the final ball.

Started promisingly yesterday but think MJ was doing most of the graft in the middle and when we won the ball were so wasteful with it.

Do we ever do crossing in training as yesterday deliver d very little when we have so much width with Mickey and Bilal/Aaron/remind.

Next week appears a very big game now.

Merstham achieved (with help from the weather) exactly what they set up to do right from the off; to totally spoil Enfield's game and reducing it to too many long, high balls.

Our last gasp efforts showed determination, but I agree that towards the end Merstham (especially their number 7) looked the better side.

Archived