Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gone with the wind

urchinman1961

well if there was a goal to win a game that was it,Spencer you beauty,already without Dicko and then to lose Sam you wondered where the goals were coming from having said that should have been 2 up in the first 15 minutes.We regrouped second half with the breeze in our backs the visitors were clearly struggling with it pleased for Jordan and his goal only to be wiped with the visitors scoring from the spot but the never say die attitude was clear to see with Spence perfectly wind assisted goal,tidy crowd as well,up the Urchins 

I think on balance we deserved the win today. Even Simon Parker would have been proud of that goal from Lewwis today, hell of a way to win a game. Think the Eastside was relatively happy with the goal. Good performance bearing in mind how much our front line was affected today. Was it a pen? Thought it was harsh personally but I’m not sure if the ref was compensating as there was a possible pen shout before that which could have gone either way. But we deserved the win anyway . Well done all and a good start to the season

I thought we missed a number of chances to take a commanding lead into half-time. 
There seemed to be a sense of "tightness" about this game that wasn't apparent in the pre-season friendlies, possibly because this result mattered
The second half was a lot more edgy, we seemed to get very narrow along whichever wing the ball was played making it easy for Merstham to defend with no wide out ball.
For the first goal I though Ellis had misjudged the wind and overhit the corner but either way Lewwis got the header back across the area which is all you can ask and Jordan finally got us on the scoresheet..

I can't comment on the penalty decision as I didn't see it as I turned my head to talk to someone but there had been so many other shouts during the game turned down I guess it must have been justified. 
The advantage always has to be with the taker but my mind went back to last year's penalty shootout against Oxford City. Joe Wright guessed correctly but the strike was too good and he couldn't pull off another wonder save.

The winning goal. Well, this isn't the first time I have seen Lewwis score from the half-way line, or indeed pull out a last minute winner. I teased him on Twitter today and will continue to do so but when the chips are down OMG !!!  I stand on the sidelines these days so had to wait until the ball was in the net to celebrate but previously behind the goal have been able to celebrate 2 or 3 seconds beforehand.

Overall you cannot really complain when you have got all 3 points and a worldie goal of the season winner in the first game .

No easy games in this league, three good chances early on should have put the game to bed, turned up yesterday to find dicko limping and then Sam came off, that's 50 goals  not on the park so any win is sufficient, great crowd and support which we will need Tuesday, great cameo from Mark 

Archived