Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Squad for season 2023/4

11 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

So at this rate maybe by next weekend we’ll find out the 10 or so players staying?! 

Possibly about right. 

10 hours ago, Ian g f said:

A lot of clubs in our league have announced players that are staying! Probably most

Bit of both.

Some have announced their comings and going all at once and some have drip fed.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

Slow drip feed? More like snail pace.

Least we have Josh Jackman and Johnny Goddard nailed down to stay [if they are men of their word,as we know from past seasons, players can renege because they get a better offer from another club] unless of course, these two are contracted.

I'm pleased both want to stay, as they have a lot to offer our team.Neither of them would be short of being tapped up by other clubs imo. Josh has been a favourite of mine since he first arrived at our club and he is my first name on the teamsheet. To my mind we are lucky to have him, as I think he could easily play in the league above.

Now we just need Matt Lench........Ogo Obi.........Joe Dandy ........Shane Bush.......Gabe George.......whoever?   

Johnny Goddard and Josh Jackman contracted? doubt it very much.

You'll always get the odd player who will chase the money and renege on their word, to those I'd say good riddance clubs are better off without them.

I call Josh Jackman Mr consistent, always averaging a 7 or 8 out of ten.

Like all modern full backs these day's he's better going forward than defending.

Johnny Goddard is a great signing providing he produces his second half of the season form which was top draw.

What keeper we get I think will be crucial to what sort of season we'll have.

We were spoilt with Will Dennis and to get someone similar will be almost impossible.

Dan Lincoln has been mentioned but I think getting him is just a pipe dream if only because of the money he was on at Dorking.

He has connections with Slough having played for their cricket club for 2 seasons and I think still does coaching there.

Other than that it's anyone's guess who will be between the sticks.

29 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

We were spoilt with Will Dennis and to get someone similar will be almost impossible.

Dan Lincoln has been mentioned but I think getting him is just a pipe dream if only because of the money he was on at Dorking.

He has connections with Slough having played for their cricket club for 2 seasons and I think still does coaching there.

I dunno RR, stranger things have happened… plus he’s a Berkshire boy! I don’t think we will get him simply because he’ll have offers in the NL and even if he decided to play at our level his wages might be an issue. Then again I had very similar thoughts about Goddard thinking no way we’d get a sought after player but somehow we did. So you just never know and yes he’d be as good as Will and would show real intent too.

32 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Or we could save a packet on wages and give Rhys another try? 

58 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Too early for holidays.

Well I'm going on holiday next week....

22 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I dunno RR, stranger things have happened… plus he’s a Berkshire boy! I don’t think we will get him simply because he’ll have offers in the NL and even if he decided to play at our level his wages might be an issue. Then again I had very similar thoughts about Goddard thinking no way we’d get a sought after player but somehow we did. So you just never know and yes he’d be as good as Will and would show real intent too.

Or we could save a packet on wages and give Rhys another try? 

Certainly the connections are there with both Scott and Johnny Goddard being reciprocal followers on twitter with Dan Lincoln.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but there's a keeper who's being touted by Football in Berkshire on twitter having played 33 games in the NL looking to play for an NL club or a top NLS club.

And guess how many games Dan Lincoln played for Dorking?

I could be totally wrong but it does seem to tie in with his departure. 

As you say there's always Rhys who would command a lot less wages.

Certainly looked a promising young keeper and if he's ironed out the faults in his game could be an option if he wants to leave Ascot who I'm sure will want him to stay.

Edited by Reading Rebel

21 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Certainly the connections are there with both Scott and Johnny Goddard being reciprocal followers on twitter with Dan Lincoln.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but there's a keeper who's being touted by Football in Berkshire on twitter having played 33 games in the NL looking to play for an NL club or a top NLS club.

Certainly looked a promising young keeper and if he's ironed out the faults in his game could be an option if he wants to leave Ascot who I'm sure will want him to stay.

Stop blabbering on and just update the list man!!!

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Someone suggested Dan Lincoln for Slough on Twitter and he liked the tweet. That’s good enough for me, let’s get him announced. 

It appears he’s left Dorking as he can’t commit to morning sessions which will rule him out of almost all NL clubs, so we might have a chance. I’m sure Aaron Kuhl will also have told him what a good club we are too. 

6 hours ago, Rebel Wokingham said:

Someone suggested Dan Lincoln for Slough on Twitter and he liked the tweet. That’s good enough for me, let’s get him announced. 

It appears he’s left Dorking as he can’t commit to morning sessions which will rule him out of almost all NL clubs, so we might have a chance. I’m sure Aaron Kuhl will also have told him what a good club we are too. 

I get your point on him liking the tweet but it could just be a like because his name was mentioned.

As I said I'm sure Scott and Johnny Goddard know him which would give us some sort of chance.

His money at Dorking must have been far more than we can pay so being reasonably local and far less travelling for league games would have to compensate for the reduction in wages.

Just for the fact that Football in Berkshire have advertised him on Twitter would lead me to think he's looking around for the best deal.

Edited by Reading Rebel

6 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

I get your point on him liking the tweet but it could just be a like because his name was mentioned.

As I said I'm sure Scott and Johnny Goddard know him which would give us some sort of chance.

His money at Dorking must have been far more than we can pay so being reasonably local and far less travelling for league games would have to compensate for the reduction in wages.

Just for the fact that Football in Berkshire have advertised him on Twitter would lead me to think he's looking around for the best deal.

I still would rate our chances slim but someone made an important point in that Dan had to leave Dorking due to the new training schedule. How many clubs in the NL are part time and only train twice a week in the evenings? Possibly only Wealdstone I think so he’s then looking at suitable NLS clubs (as I doubt he’d want to up sticks to a northern club). So obviously there’s a few clubs ahead of us in terms of what they can offer financially but if he’s based around this way then it puts us within a shout. Would Farnborough get rid of Turner? Hemel have just given a new contract to their keeper. St. Albans and Hampton possibly could be interested?

3 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I still would rate our chances slim but someone made an important point in that Dan had to leave Dorking due to the new training schedule. How many clubs in the NL are part time and only train twice a week in the evenings? Possibly only Wealdstone I think so he’s then looking at suitable NLS clubs (as I doubt he’d want to up sticks to a northern club). So obviously there’s a few clubs ahead of us in terms of what they can offer financially but if he’s based around this way then it puts us within a shout. Would Farnborough get rid of Turner? Hemel have just given a new contract to their keeper. St. Albans and Hampton possibly could be interested?

Hampton have Alan Julian in goal who I'm pretty certain will be their keeper for next season.

St Albans have two very good keepers on their books but if they get promoted things could change. 

22 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Hampton have Alan Julian in goal who I'm pretty certain will be their keeper for next season.

St Albans have two very good keepers on their books but if they get promoted things could change. 

AJ is 40! So I think they’d certainly be interested. Depends on how far out Dan wants to travel as it then puts clubs like Worthing and Eastbourne into contention.

3 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

AJ is 40! So I think they’d certainly be interested. Depends on how far out Dan wants to travel as it then puts clubs like Worthing and Eastbourne into contention.

40 for a keeper is in his prime.

Just going by the Hampton web site they think he's one of the best in the division. 

8 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

40 for a keeper is in his prime.

Just going by the Hampton web site they think he's one of the best in the division. 

A 40 year old goalkeeper is not in his prime!!! 99.9% of goalkeepers have retired by the age of 40 it’s only a few who have played on past 40.