Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

V Tonbridge Angeles

Sir Rebel1965

On 06/09/2023 at 00:19, 3spirit said:

I don't like to tittle tattle but the last time I saw Steve at a game I thought he looked unwell, so as we all have to age and invariably get some problem or other, things might not be as straightfoward as has been suggested.

I don't like the insinuation that Steve isn't a true Slough fan. That gentleman saved our club,kept it going when we had no ground and got the club back into Slough and gave Slough fans endless thrills with the players/managers he brought to the club. To me we owe him a debt of gratitude and should just appreciate what he did for our club. Whether he comes to a match these days is irrelevant.

Just to clarify a few things.

I speak with Steve monthly and he is still very interested in the clubs development. He hopes to attend some games during this season. He also forsake a personal engagement to attend Sean Frasers testimonial.

Although he has moved to the south coast he tries to listen in on Rebels radio when he can.

• 7 months later...
On 02/09/2023 at 19:59, Nathan said:

I'm not sure why everyone's complaining. This was an excellent afternoon's entertainment, watched in a carnival-like atmosphere in front of a bumper crowd of 647. We got to see 7 goals, Tonbridge's Scott Wagstaff's "dying swan" act (in which he was the victim of an imaginary foul), Tonbridge's team thinking they'd heard an imaginary whistle (allowing Scott an open goal, which was hilarious) and Slough's Rohan Luthra's "wet hen" act (where he panicked and flapped whenever the ball went near him). I also saw some men in Amber shirts (Slough players I think) run around aimlessly, like they were extra's in a Benny Hill skit.

As for the football, we certainly didn't deserve to lose. That we did was down to a combination of injuries, the referee, Jupiter not aligning with Saturn, and Tonbridge really being Barcelona in disguise.

The table is starting to take shape now, and we're bottom. But we don't need to pay attention to that, as the league table lies all the time.

I remembered these words (and the words one or two others) I put on here after our 5-2 thrashing at the hands of Tonbridge Angels during my long drive home. Since then we'd had 23 home matches and not lost a single one of them. We went on a FA Cup run, and took League Two Grimsby to a 1st Round Replay. We've secured a top-ten finish, missing out on the play-offs by only 5 points. We're (officially) joint-second highest goal-scorers in the league. How times change!

I think it's illustrative of how far the team and the club has come during these past 7 months.

Interesting views from Windsor Rebel here. Any update?

On 02/09/2023 at 22:55, Windsor Rebel said:

Absolute  bollocks on this forum.

Scott Davies is out of his depth.

And so are the ex  Bracknell/Chesham/Beaconsfield players

He’s probably asking whether you’ve changed your mind on comments like the above you posted.

4 minutes ago, Curtis said:

He’s probably asking whether you’ve changed your mind on comments like the above you posted.

I stand by my comments made at the time. Fair play to Scott Davies and the team for turning it around after such a poor start and

finishing so strongly in NLS South. However, I  still have some (minor)  concerns regarding certain ex  Bracknell/Chesham/Beaconsfield players

if we are serious about a promotion push next season.

2 minutes ago, Windsor Rebel said:

I stand by my comments made at the time. Fair play to Scott Davies and the team for turning it around after such a poor start and

finishing so strongly in NLS South. However, I  still have some (minor)  concerns regarding certain ex  Bracknell/Chesham/Beaconsfield players

if we are serious about a promotion push next season.

In Scotts interview this weekend he freely admits that he seriously thought about packing it in after this game as he himself did not feel up to the job.

So the assessment by WR after this game is correct.

To put things into perspective the following are the performances of new Slough managers in the 2000's in their first full season of managing the club.

Bakes and Unders - promotion

Bateman - 5th place & playoffs 

Denton - 4th place - league reorganization.

1 hour ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

To put things into perspective the following are the performances of new Slough managers in the 2000's in their first full season of managing the club.

Say we'd won and not lost both of the Dover games this season: we'd be 6th on 74 points, qualified for the play-offs (and everyone would be singing Scotty's praises)!

Fine margins, but perhaps it's really a blessing in disguise that it didn't happen.

6 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Not sure about Denton but the others were experienced managers.

13 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

To put it into full perspective weren’t all the above coming in at Step 4, where Slough were a very big club with much bigger attendances than other clubs at that level.

Whereas Scott has come in at Step 2, where we are not a big club.

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

To put it into full perspective weren’t all the above coming in at Step 4, where Slough were a very big club with much bigger attendances than other clubs at that level.

To put it into proper perspective, all three managed the club when we were homeless, a crowd of 300 was considered good, and we were paying through the nose for Windsor & Eton's best pitch in non-league or for Beaconsfield's cabbage patch. We may have been big names for step 3 or 4, but Denton's time ended on a sour note (with the club clearly going to pot off the pitch, not 2 years on from an FA Cup run and famous giant-killing), and we never pushed on from Bateman's first year.

Eddie Denton came in at Step 3 (the year before the pyramid re-organisation) during yet another summer of turmoil, where Steve Browne and many of his players left and the club being kicked out of Wexham Park. As I recall, we didn't really get going until the appointment of Mickey Lewis as coach that January; our form from then on was title-winning, but it came slightly too late for a title challenge so we had to make do with 4th place.

Steve Bateman came in at the tail-end of a year of indifferent achievement under Derek Sweetman, a year where everyone had hoped for significantly better than the previous 2 years (which had ended in a relegation and a relegation/reprieve respectively). He rebuilt the team almost from scratch and turned us from perpetual strugglers and also-rans into challengers. In contrast to Denton's first year, we were title challengers until Christmas but mostly average from then on, and ended up sneaking into the play-offs on goal difference on the final day (ours being only +1 better following a 4-1 win!). We lost the play-off final 4-0, but with hindsight we probably overachieved that year; making the play-offs after years of dross raised hopes and expectations for going one better the following year, which didn't happen. It also didn't happen during the following 2 years until Bateman's departure.

Bakes & Unders came in following another year of disappointment and we managed what we had failed to do in the 4 previous years under Bateman. But that year came dangerously close to being another "nearly" season; with us not being guaranteed a play-off place going into the final day and then being 2-0 down at half-time in the final. That half-time team-talk and the 45 minutes that followed fundamentally changed the course of the clubs history. Where would we be now had that comeback not happened?

10 hours ago, Curtis said:

Add some more perspective:

B&U arrived in the close season so only friendlies preparation.

Bateman arrived early March to take over Sweeman's mess

Denton appointed in close season and took over Brown's mess.

Harris appointed November with over half the season and 11 friendlies to put a team together.

22 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Add some more perspective:

B&U arrived in the close season so only friendlies preparation.

Bateman arrived early March to take over Sweeman's mess

Denton appointed in close season and took over Brown's mess.

Harris appointed November with over half the season and 11 friendlies to put a team together.

Who's this Harris bloke  :headscratch:

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

To put it into proper perspective, all three managed the club when we were homeless, a crowd of 300 was considered good, and we were paying through the nose for Windsor & Eton's best pitch in non-league or for Beaconsfield's cabbage patch. We may have been big names for step 3 or 4, but Denton's time ended on a sour note (with the club clearly going to pot off the pitch, not 2 years on from an FA Cup run and famous giant-killing), and we never pushed on from Bateman's first year.

Eddie Denton came in at Step 3 (the year before the pyramid re-organisation) during yet another summer of turmoil, where Steve Browne and many of his players left and the club being kicked out of Wexham Park. As I recall, we didn't really get going until the appointment of Mickey Lewis as coach that January; our form from then on was title-winning, but it came slightly too late for a title challenge so we had to make do with 4th place.

Steve Bateman came in at the tail-end of a year of indifferent achievement under Derek Sweetman, a year where everyone had hoped for significantly better than the previous 2 years (which had ended in a relegation and a relegation/reprieve respectively). He rebuilt the team almost from scratch and turned us from perpetual strugglers and also-rans into challengers. In contrast to Denton's first year, we were title challengers until Christmas but mostly average from then on, and ended up sneaking into the play-offs on goal difference on the final day (ours being only +1 better following a 4-1 win!). We lost the play-off final 4-0, but with hindsight we probably overachieved that year; making the play-offs after years of dross raised hopes and expectations for going one better the following year, which didn't happen. It also didn't happen during the following 2 years until Bateman's departure.

Bakes & Unders came in following another year of disappointment and we managed what we had failed to do in the 4 previous years under Bateman. But that year came dangerously close to being another "nearly" season; with us not being guaranteed a play-off place going into the final day and then being 2-0 down at half-time in the final. That half-time team-talk and the 45 minutes that followed fundamentally changed the course of the clubs history. Where would we be now had that comeback not happened?

Where would we be now if 'mad' Eddie Smith had rightly got sent off early doors in the play-off semi final against Rugby Town.