Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wingate & Finchley v Enfield Town

seemgee

We started well and had the better of the first 15 minutes, going ahead with a nicely worked goal. A long ball caught out Ben Frempah, the W&F CB around whom there was such a kerfuffle at the start of last season. He completely misjudged the bounce, the ball sailed over his head and Wylie latched onto it, haring through. I thought he was going to shoot himself but he very sensibly looked up first, saw that Beckles-Richards would have a tap in if played in correctly, and full credit to Wylie for doing just that. He and Beckles-Richards complement each other well, it was a very good goal.

As has been the way in other matches where we took the lead, W&F then had a considerable amount of possession. They had some decent playmakers in their team who probed for weaknesses in our back 4. They created a couple of chances though I think our keeper will be a little disappointed with the equaliser. The shot was hit hard and moved in the air, but Forster was only able to parry the ball directly in front of him (rather than to the side) and the W&F forward smashed in the rebound. Could also argue our CBs were slow to react to the parry, but for me Forster should have done a little better. But other than that, he had a good game. His kicking off the ground looked more secure than in earlier matches which was good to see.  1-1 at half time was a fair reflection, but I was a little nervous the second half may turn into a Cray Valley Paper Mills.

Whatever the manager said at half time worked and we came out playing positively, dominating possession. The second goal was very well taken, Wylie again playing with real confidence. The ball broke to him in the area after a shot rebounded. I thought he had taken too many touches and wouldn't get his shot away. Instead, he turned the defender the wrong way and stroked home another very well taken goal. And what was really pleasing this time was that we didn't sit back and let W&K have possession. In fact, we had most of the possession in the rest of the second half, playing some very good football. Parcell, who had overhit some crosses/passes earlier in the match, took a free kick that I thought Joe Payne was going to take and delivered a peach of a cross which Sykes turned in at the far post - another really good striker's goal. Sykes won more high balls this match than I have seen before and looks to be regaining fitness. Brave of the manager to start all 3 of Wylie, Beckles-Richards and Sykes - the decision played off.

The fourth goal was the icing on an excellent second half performance, the unfortunate Frempah heading another dangerous cross into his own net. Frempah wouldn't get into our team ahead of either Richmond or Okotcha - no loss there.

My man of the match was Dylan Adjei-Hersey, who looked dangerous every time he got the ball on the right and really put a shift in. He and Parcell look good on the right. Parcell can play better than he has been, but the cross he put in for the third goal will remind him how good he is when on song. 

Excellent performance to take with us to Saturday, which will be a real test.

Great to hear @Benjrider10 thanks for the detailed report.   Has been some hesitancy and uncertainty recently but really pleased that this turned out positively for us in what could have been a real banana skin and I would guess a harder fixture than W and F has been in the past.     

Sykes definitely gives us something different up front and look forward to him gaining more fitness and form in the near future.   Glad we conceded only one last night which would been have been a positive I'm sure and now puts us in a good position for probably the toughest fixture of the season this coming weekend.

That dip is something that hopefully was short lived and I'm sure the players have more confidence into the next game 😀