Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wide Open Spaces

I know a lot of clubs at our level have Open spaces outside of their playing perimeter and when the ball gets kicked out of play you rely on the supportors to run to get the ball. But in a recent game we had 10 minutes added on by the referee for what he called the openess of a ground inside the playing area. Obviously with the ball not actually leaving the perimeter fence the supporters could not get to the ball to return it, and you have to wait for the players to get it themselves. Has anyone else come across this before....

Originally Posted By: NewBradwell
I know a lot of clubs at our level have Open spaces outside of their playing perimeter and when the ball gets kicked out of play you rely on the supportors to run to get the ball. But in a recent game we had 10 minutes added on by the referee for what he called the openess of a ground inside the playing area. Obviously with the ball not actually leaving the perimeter fence the supporters could not get to the ball to return it, and you have to wait for the players to get it themselves. Has anyone else come across this before....

Sounds like once a team gets a reputation for hiding balls ...

Is this the right time to bring up the subject of 'assistant referees' not returning the ball to players etc even when it's next to their feet!!!

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan
Is this the right time to bring up the subject of 'assistant referees' not returning the ball to players etc even when it's next to their feet!!!

I don't think they should. Like I don't think that linesman should pick up the ball, usually left near the half-way line and boot it to the goalkeeper who needs it!

Assistant referees, are just that! They're not qualified to kick a ball! Especially that distance! So they shouldn't embarrass themselves!

Originally Posted By: NewBradwell
But in a recent game we had 10 minutes added on by the referee for what he called the openess of a ground inside the playing area. Obviously with the ball not actually leaving the perimeter fence the supporters could not get to the ball to return it, and you have to wait for the players to get it themselves. Has anyone else come across this before....

My record is 20 minutes added by a ref at Ilford's dreadful Cricklefield (running track around pitch). Our (then) chairman was continually barracking the ref because it took ages to get the ball back, so the ref added 20 minutes to the second half, and Ilford scored twice in that time!

I absolutely detest watching football at athletic grounds and would never willingly go to one unless my own team was an away game playing there. The old Harlow ground was dreadful, as are Ilford's and Croydon's. No atmosphere at all, too much disruption to the play etc.

What you need at a ground like that is an innovative, high profile ground breaking link up with the local community to provide 50 ball boys to ensure that the game flows.

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan

No can do. Instructions are to leave the ball alone even when it's next to them. Assessors will down mark Assistant Referees for this if they stop the ball.

I once saw an Assistant Referee stop the ball as it went out of play otherwise it would have gone another 30 yards from where the throw-in would have taken place from.

Player was able to take a quick thrown in which led to a goal. I’ll leave it to your imagination what the players of one team thought of the Assistant Referee!

New Bradwell, I assume that you are referring to the current Kentish Town home. I know it's at an athletics stadium. I was going to watch their game against Langford, my old eyes are playing up a bit, should I really go if the pitch is so far away from the spectators?

Originally Posted By: Paula
Not all athletics tracks have no atmosphere. Hornchchurch is great (but then there is always a crowd of at least 700 when we go there). The 'Eastside Urchins' have big mouths just like the 'Yellow Army'.
Will miss our game there this year frown

Wasn't so atmospheric before they hit the "big time" !