Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wide Open Spaces

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
it may be the wrong thing to say to you guys but if you watch some of the champions league games next day or two I think you will see several athletics tracks so the maths must work somehow.

I beieve that the FA are more demanding for grass roots clubs than UEFA are for the Champions League. Possibly for the very reason that you say - existing grounds with athletics tracks = small pitches. I believe that new regs apply from 2010 - I'll check it out tomorrow. Oops, sorry, later today!

Originally Posted By: Paula
I don't think we would be envious Rhodes. We have our own ground - you cant beat it. Conference standard too smile

Have you been to the Copthall Stadium, you can probably fit Park Lane into it three times over!

But will the pitch size meet the grading standards? (see previous posts)

wembley 1966, was the pitch too small?

i saw Dorkings assistant manager sent off at Guildford last year. They have a track.The dugouts are opposite the stand.The game was held up as he wasnt allowed to jog across the pitch so he walked round the pitch. Having got to the corner flag he realised he was holding the game up so ran over the track to get away from the action.Not good enough.So off he went round the top bend and up the banking, about 100 yards from the goal.Now he hasnt played for a few years and is a bit over his fighting weight. Still not good enough. Game still held up.Down the banking wrong way down the home straight negotiating the hurdles and finally by the tea hut and a few of the fans. Not good enough. game still held up.so he had to climb up the many stairs to the official seating area which is above the changing rooms. slightly red in the face and even more annoyed with the ref the game was allowed to start, once the players had stopped rolling about the floor in tears.

Horace - We entered the FA Vase this season with no questions asked, surely if there had been a problem or any concerns the FA would have sent somebody down to the Stadium from Soho Square with a tape measure.

" Caught like rabbits in headlights "

" I'm Sure its Just Jealousy "

What a load of tosh, I have been involved in non-league football for 30 years now, In the Athenian,Vauxhall-Opal(now Ryman),South Midlands etc etc etc and I have been impressed by Many Grounds and i'm afraif the Copthall was not one of them.

I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed by that post, you were our first visitors to the Stadium and we wanted to create an impression, I wasn't there on the day as I went to the 61FC with the Reserves but I assume someone was on hand to press your flesh.

I am only replying to your statements. You state that we were caught in headlights and were jealous which was not the case.

Yes we were looked after and the actual playing surface was not bad but we were not overawed as you put it. If we were playing in front of a crowd of 10,000 there might have been an atmosphere but after seeing the fact of playing on an athletics track from all sides on the pitch,in the dugouts and from the stands there is definetly something missing.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Horace - We entered the FA Vase this season with no questions asked, surely if there had been a problem or any concerns the FA would have sent somebody down to the Stadium from Soho Square with a tape measure.

Actually not always the case. We played in the Conference for 2 seasons no problem. Got the grading required by the FA
We then had a season in the Ryman 1 North - no problem. Then either just before end of last season or at the start of the close season the inspecectors came down. They measured our pitch!!
Too short!! We had to move the goal back at the sea wall end by just over a metre and the same at the car park end.
Why was this not noticed earlier?? Guess no one had that tape measure lol.
So Rhodes - it could be as the people say just not up to standard for footie to be played there.

If you think that's bad, visit London Apsa's ground sometime. The big dugouts obscure the view of large parts of the pitch from the (large) main stand, which itself is a full width running track, long jump and swathes of grass areas away from the touchline. Binocular requirement is no joke here. You can't get behind one of the goals at all (unless you walk on the track - not allowed) and the boardroom is the viewing gallery of an old squash court (now a kiddies play area). No alcohol anywhere in the place, although non-chilled cans of coke were available. Nearest pub is a real schlomp up the road and ceratinly not the sort of place you'd take your kids or the mrs.

As for running tracks not allowing proper sized pitches - nonsense. A 100m x 64m is achievable - but not much more agreed! At AFCH the track is only 6 lanes with the outer track right on the perimeter fence, so the action from the sides is perfectly ok - and as close if not closer than the far side stand's at Aveley is to the pitch. No terracing behind the goals possible at Athletic Stadiums is the biggest downside. Chelmsford's is another example of the stand being too far from the pitch - but the new huge stand itself is excellent. One of the very worst was Harlow's old Sportcentre ground - thankfully now consigned to dust.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes

I'm not attacking Kentish Town. Your Secretary or Chairman filled in a form which asked for pitch dimensions, and obviously their answer was acceptable. I have been corrected by Wader, who assures me that a 100m x 64 m pitch IS attainable within a standard 400m athletics track, so I accept that.