Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wide Open Spaces

Originally Posted By: losingmyhair
New Bradwell, I assume that you are referring to the current Kentish Town home. I know it's at an athletics stadium. I was going to watch their game against Langford, my old eyes are playing up a bit, should I really go if the pitch is so far away from the spectators?

Yes it was at Kentish actually, slowed the game right down....

As for seeing the pitch with your eyes, it is sometimes like watching it on a telly. As above not all ahtletics track are the same but when you have an attendance of about 30 there is no atmosphere and you cannot get as involved as you normally would. you cannot have the bit of banter you can normally have with the opposistion players unless you shout at the top of your voice.i.e " How the hell did you miss that you numpty my mother could have scored that " screamed from 40 yards away is not the same when you can mutter it just enough for the palyer to hear it and you can see his facial reaction if you catch my drift

Originally Posted By: Horace
I wonder what players think about playing at such grounds?

Most of ours said it resembled Sunday mornings when you have one man and his dog watching as the spectators are so far away..

It was the same when i played against Hornchurch many years ago for Wolverton Town you just feel detached

Hate athletics grounds! As you say no atmosphere, much better being close to the miserable old gits that are giving you abuse for being old and passed it!!!

One of the Kingsbury London Tigers players last Tues was wearing black gloves Krooner!

Originally Posted By: NewBradwell
Most of ours said it resembled Sunday mornings when you have one man and his dog watching as the spectators are so far away.

That's not the impression we got, you seemed to be like rabitts caught in the headlights when you turned up as it's not every day you play at such salubrious surroundings. There was also a high profile press photographer present and I'm just about to forward his pics to your Mr Orchard out of the goodness of my heart.

One of the things that's always puzzled me about football pitches inside athletics tracks is how you can get the minumum acceptable length of 100m inside a 400 metre track. I'm not a mathematical genius, but it's clear when looking at a track that the 100 metre track starts and ends some distance beyond the normal track. I can't see how you can get a 64 metre by 100 metre oblong inside a running track without the corners overlapping the track? Are some tracks longer than 400 metres? Or are the pitches shorter than the minimum acceptable for grade G and above? As I avoid such grounds like the plague, I've never really studied the subject in detail. But seeing how sniffy the grading people were about our pitch only just being 100metres long, I wonder how many of these pitches are too short?

Horace... I could be wrong but it's 100 yards minimum not 100 metres, which I assume is about 90 metres?

_40747002_footy_pitch_finale1.gif

One of the things that's always puzzled me about football pitches inside athletics tracks is how you can get the minumum acceptable length of 100m inside a 400 metre track. I'm not a mathematical genius, but it's clear when looking at a track that the 100 metre track starts and ends some distance beyond the normal track.

I think the opposite is the case, plus the running tracks aren't "square", they're "oblong".

"1.9 Playing Area

* B-G

The playing area to be a minimum of 100 metres x 64 metres and should conform to the requirements of the Laws of the Game."

From FA Grading Documet. I rest my case!

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
One of the things that's always puzzled me about football pitches inside athletics tracks is how you can get the minumum acceptable length of 100m inside a 400 metre track. I'm not a mathematical genius, but it's clear when looking at a track that the 100 metre track starts and ends some distance beyond the normal track.

I think the opposite is the case, plus the running tracks aren't "square", they're "oblong".

This is what I mean - there isn't 100m of straight down a track without adding a bit on each end. I don't believe you can get a minumum size (for A to G grading) football pitch inside a standard 400 metre track! Either some grounds have bigger tracks, or they've never been inspected by the graders, or, the graders have accepted the limitations!

track.jpg

Absolutely right Horace. I have an area inside the pitch perimeter fence of 108.5m x 72.5m. It gives me the opportunity to mark out the pitch at anything from 100 x 64 to 104 x 68. We're setting and erecting the goals and marking out next week and I'm thinking of going for a 101m x 65m pitch - don't want to tire the players out too much! Finished the dugout areas today, concrete base for the technical areas overlaid with astroturf and the dugouts bolted on top. Looks the nuts!

TheSpursFan - I couldn't agree more, I'm sure it was pure jealousy on the part of New Bradwell who unfairly stated that there was no atmosphere at the Copthall Stadium when they played there recently which automatically played into the Usual Suspects hands. At the end of the day we're plying our trade at a palatial 10,000 capacity stadium which is not only the envy of all SSML Club's but 95% of the Ryman League too.