Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wooley & Noel

The Great Eckscape

If this is true and what is going on thought wise in my head, I don't think I can ever look at non league football in the same way.

I hope for our clubs sake that these two are not involved as its not rocket science what will come next after the stories last season.

But it's true to say that something about football has been nagging away at me all summer and into the start of this season,I wasn't looking forward to the new season and haven't really been feeling the love for it this season and ciuldnt really put my finger on it but i knew it wasnt just getting relegated,but on reading this story it's suddenly hit me,after we beat Chelmsford 4-1 at their gaff I was on cloud 9,probably one of the greatest feelings supporting the club,then not 48 hours later and the stories started coming out and from that day onwards I haven't enjoyed it,almost like I haven't trusted the game.Truth is,when I read this thread it dawned on me,there's no smoke without fire,in the back of my mind I always knew the finger pointing by some Wasnt just that,there's probably more to it than first thought or we dismissed it.

I am not sure I can ever trust the game at this level again and yes maybe I should wait until something more concrete is proved but I don't think I will ever look at the game at this level the same again until gambling in football at this level is outlawed completely.

The sad thing is to me is the controversy that followed this club a few years ago,has been replaced by people,real football people who want to make a success of the club in the right manner and I feel for them if there is any link between this latest scandal and the accusations flying around last season

Just got home from work,it's safe to say that this has been foremost in my thoughts overnight,so much so I missed my turning on the M25 and had to go to Kent and back just to get home.

Regardless of what I posted a few hours back,with regards to our club,these latest revelations are nothing to do with us.Yes i,we,others will speculate but unless hard facts are produced which implicate any wrongdoing from anyone mentioned then it could just all be a mere coincidence,I bloody well hope so anyway,otherwise I will feel cheated out of a season which I always did wonder how we were actually one of the worst 3 sides in the league!!!

In light of these arrests, I will be fuming if these players were involved last year (if you put 2 and 2 together). The amount of hard earned cash used watching them last year and if they have been proven to have done this (which if you look back at a few incidents) makes me feel sick.

This really is a sad state of affairs.  If Woolley and Noel are guilty of these offences whether they were complicit in what occurred or just stupidly naive then they deserve to get whatever punishment is coming to them.  Oz legal teams are also looking to impose lifetime worldwide sporting bans.

What pi**es me off more than anything is the fact it's our club that gets dragged into all this simply because we're the last side both Woolley and Noel played for.  So, it's the inevitable finger pointing that we now have to endure .., clearly not helped by last season's "investigation" into us, Billericay and Chelmsford for match betting which we all know simply petered out into nothing.

Last season has been and gone and there's nothing whatsoever to suggest any wrongdoing.  We can all look back on events last year .. an incident here, a goal there, a penalty etc and the odd thing may look dubious but it certainly doesn't suggest for 1 second that anything untoward went on.  For the club it's just business as usual until further investigations into Woolley and Noel warrant our input.

Edited by andydick

I am in Australia. It is all over the front pages of the daily newspapers. Apparently five players and the coach (manager) have been arrested and bailed pending a court case. Maximum penalty for the offences charged in Victoria is 10 years under legislation passed in this state last year. The reports say that 4 more players are being interviewed and may be charged as well. The named players are David Obaze, Nicholas McKoy, Reiss Noel and Joe Woolley. The latter two are named in the report as leaving AFC Hornchurch to go to Australia but no English clubs have been given for the first two (Obaze and McKoy).

Agree with a lot of what EU has said above.  The culprits here, in addition to the individual footballers themselves, are the organisations & authorities who allow "sports betting" at this level of football.  I've enjoyed the odd bet on a 'ricay result occasionally, and it does add another dimension to the enjoyment of a game.  But I don't do it thinking it will make me rich & I wouldn't miss it if it was outlawed.  If you draw a line with kids football one end & top level proffesional football at the other, there is a point along that line at which sports betting becomes unworkable. Personally I think teams at our level have been placed the wrong side of that point; presumably by Betting Companies eager for another saleable product.

Agree with a lot of what EU has said above.  The culprits here, in addition to the individual footballers themselves, are the organisations & authorities who allow "sports betting" at this level of football.  I've enjoyed the odd bet on a 'ricay result occasionally, and it does add another dimension to the enjoyment of a game.  But I don't do it thinking it will make me rich & I wouldn't miss it if it was outlawed.  If you draw a line with kids football one end & top level proffesional football at the other, there is a point along that line at which sports betting becomes unworkable. Personally I think teams at our level have been placed the wrong side of that point; presumably by Betting Companies eager for another saleable product.

Agree with this - At Premiership level a bribe would have to be substantial in order for a player to even consider doing something wrong, especially when that player realises that his career would be over if he got caught with the potential loss of earnings that would ensue. At non-league, especially with part-time players who have a day job, less money would need to change hands I would imagine. I'm not suggesting for one minute that it has happened though, I believe that nearly all non-league players are decent, honest people who wouldn't even consider it.

It's down to the greed of the betting companies, I agree.

Edited by cup of tea

How embarrassing is that then?

Would be fuming if they get charged for that, agree with Jordan, the amount of money spent last season from me, my nan and grandad going to watch all those games last season, if its true I'm gutted