Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bury Town won 3-0

AbbeyMan

Originally Posted By: lovely stuff
Whinging because we lost????
Those who are regulars on this forum know i would have made exactly the same comments about the things i did IF we had won or lost.The result had no bearing on my observations.

And whether or not we are in the same league next year,i certainly won't be going to Aveley again.Not unless you overhaul your pricing policy,and talking to many other Town fans,they feel exacly the same way.So instead of getting 75+ of us coming in a 7 quid a pop.You'll have about 30 of us at 8.50.You do the math,as the yanks would say.

Didn't go to Aveley this season but last and, if memory serves, they graded their games with the prices set accordingly. Was it the same this year ? (That would explain the price change mentioned in another post somewhere).

I heard they were doing that last season.Of course they denied it.This season they again insisted that 8.50 was the standard price.As i said,the handwritten sign sellotaped over the usual price didn't instill confidence in that claim.Its bad enough to charge that price.Its even worse to target only fans from certain clubs throughout the season.The worst of all would be if the home fans secretly still payed the regular price,whilst those away fans payed the inflated price.

I still believe at this level,that the FA/Ryman League should impose a maximum admission charge level,and evaluate it every season.7 quid should have been the ceiling price this season.

also,why do admission prices at most clubs (including ours) rise so much more than inflation every season? Increasing the enterance by 50p a year is constantly increasing the real cost season on season by about 15%.When wages and inflation only increases by an average of about 4% year on year.

Hey fellas i see things are not going well to late, now is the time for the team to stand up and counted and for the supporters to get right behind there team.

These next 4 games will see if you sink or swim into the playoffs!!!

All the best fellas.

I heard they were doing that last season.Of course they denied it.This season they again insisted that 8.50 was the standard price.As i said,the handwritten sign sellotaped over the usual price didn't instill confidence in that claim.Its bad enough to charge that price.Its even worse to target only fans from certain clubs throughout the season.The worst of all would be if the home fans secretly still payed the regular price,whilst those away fans payed the inflated price.

I still believe at this level,that the FA/Ryman League should impose a maximum admission charge level,and evaluate it every season.7 quid should have been the ceiling price this season.

also,why do admission prices at most clubs (including ours) rise so much more than inflation every season? Increasing the enterance by 50p a year is constantly increasing the real cost season on season by about 15%.When wages and inflation only increases by an average of about 4% year on year.

I know you're right about the admission increses, would be so much more fun to charge say £7.34 to get in wouldn't it.

Energy prices have gone up ahead of inflation 15% with most suppliers; fuel too has risen ahead of inflation.

Do you want to work the gate when it's £7.25 to get in? No
50 p increases should happen EVERY SEASON.

So because fuel prices are a rip off.We as football clubs are justified in ripping off our customers as well?..People HAVE to pay energy bills.They DON'T have to attend football matches.I accept that Football clubs have to pay more for electric/insurance..etc every season,but a 50p increase every TWO seasons is more than enough to cover the increase in bills.

Annual pay increases are running at just under 4% annually.Energy bills/Petrol/Council tax/insurance..etc, are consistently running at three or four times that figure for the average houshold.Meaning that the cost of living is rising way above wages.Result? Disposable income (you know, the money people spend on Football/entertainment..etc) is going down all the time.When things are tight,most people cut out things like football/cinema/eating out..etc,rather than not paying the bills.

I know of plenty of ex Town supporters who don't go any more because of financial reasons.Fruitbat for one.I only go to 50% of games now because i can't afford the petrol/entance price twice a week.It would cost me over100 quid a month to go to every game.

In 1995 the average persons individual debt in the UK was 67% of income/saings.Today is is over 107%.Do you think that increasing football prices by 15% every season will bring people into football.Its one of the reasons why we are down on support,and the same goes for many other clubs in non-league.

Lower league football is slowly dying.Not only because fanbases are moving out of their traditonal areas,but also because of rip off prices.

I looked at my Wembley ticket to the FA trophy final in 1988 recently.It cost ONE Pound.How much do you think tickets to this years FA trophy final will be??

As usual LS you make some very good points.

However I do not believe that people dont come to the club because of the cost of going. As, since the club started, most supporters go to home and away games and if price was the issue I feel that they would cut the away games.

It is my view that support has dwindled for two reasons.

1) When we started we were new and that has to attract the curious and inquisitive. To a certain extent, later, we became fashionable amongst the football cognoscenti and they would turn up to see a fans run club.

2) Our football has become stale and predictable. Many players that have come to the club must have seen how the land lies and cannot command a place because there is too much favouritism. It is this that has led to a loss of form and support.

With regard to the first we cannot do much about that except perhaps get the enthusiasm together to pretty up Goldsdown Road and, hopefully, acquire an interest in the Donkey Lane Stadium when we will look new and exciting again.

With regard to the second. We all have our favourites and many on these threads write down their teams on a regular basis - but managers should not have favourites and pick players on form, skill, fitness, experience and lastly tactics. It seems that our manager does it the other way about.

However I still feel that we should wait and see. 3 wins in a row and it will all look very different.

Originally Posted By: Steph
..... but managers should not have favourites and pick players on form, skill, fitness, experience and lastly tactics. It seems that our manager does it the other way about....

Now I know there is a problem, when it comes to the point where a legend amongst supporters, namely Steph, who is the most defensive of anything behind the scenes at ETFC and generally always paints a "rose tinted glasses" effect on everything, states what others on here have been saying for ages.

Good post Steph.

Lets face it,Goldsdown road is a cold,sterile,unwelcoming place to watch football.Located on the edge of Enfield in an unattractive area.Many at our club have worked very hard to bring the place up to required standards, but it remains a depressing and uninspiring venue in which to watch your team and always will do.

Relocating to a more welcoming,central Enfield location (like Donkey Lane),would put at least 100 more regular fans on our attendances within a few seasons.

Lets face it, only the diehard 250-300 will venture to Brimdsown.200 if the team are in poor form.That is the ceiling.Lets not forget that we were getting 6-800 at Southbury Rd every week.1000 if we were in top form.Taking the 40 longterm supporters that are still with 1893,that leaves a lot of people who used to watch non-league football in Enfield,who no longer attend games.Those are the people we need to attract back.I believe we could only do this by playing in the Ryman/Southern prem (or higher),and by building a stadium in a central Enfield location.Maybe the two need to go hand in hand.