Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chester City

Jurg78

Was just reading in the paper that after a 125 year existance, Chester City FC were wound up over debts and unpaid taxes totalling no more than £230k.

With the amount of money is the proffesional game these days (specifically from TV coverage etc), I wonder how many clubs, with what is a relatively small debt, could be saved by some of the bigger fish, or from a more even distribution of the huge amount of money paid out to the pro teams??

Sorry, bored at work so just thought I'd start a different topic other than that of people not paying £5 to this site hey Smudge...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was just reading in the paper that after a 125 year existance, Chester City FC were wound up over debts and unpaid taxes totalling no more than £230k.

With the amount of money is the proffesional game these days (specifically from TV coverage etc), I wonder how many clubs, with what is a relatively small debt, could be saved by some of the bigger fish, or from a more even distribution of the huge amount of money paid out to the pro teams??

Well just to play devil's advocate then, why should the bigger clubs bail out the smaller ones if they are financially incompetent?

PS. yes Jurgs, it makes a nice change!

Well just to play devil's advocate then, why should the bigger clubs bail out the smaller ones if they are financially incompetent?

PS. yes Jurgs, it makes a nice change!

The bigger ones can't they in hock also,A small creditor has not the Funds to Bankrupt Football Clubs,but the H.M.R.C must of been told to crack down hard.Hence the amount of Clubs in trouble.

Ok, so maybe not the clubs (as Smudge says a lot of these are in even bigger debt), but just the general distribution of money imo needs to be looked at.

I'm not saying clubs should get themselves into debt in the first place (far from it), just that there could possibly be something done in the wider scheme of things to stop this happening in the first place?!

The bigger ones can't they in hock also,A small creditor has not the Funds to Bankrupt Football Clubs,but the H.M.R.C must of been told to crack down hard.Hence the amount of Clubs in trouble.

Good point. I was reading how even Real Madrid may get pulled up on their debts by the Spanish government simply becuase the Govt. are also in financial meltdown and need to call in debts that once would have been seen as touchable.

Maybe we need some more radical thinking, like clubs trying to live within their means. I'm afraid I can see the HMRC's thinking that clubs should be liquidated, going into administration is the easy option in fact it's almost fashionable. Only when several clubs are liquidated might we get some sense back into the game at all levels. I seriously would like to see Portsmouth liquidated as they are so high profile, but they won't be and will limp on before being bought so they can run up more debt and start the whole process again.....

I vote Smudge for busking around the highstreets and collecting money to help these clubs. You've done well with your £5 campaign :discobanana:

Maybe we need some more radical thinking, like clubs trying to live within their means. I'm afraid I can see the HMRC's thinking that clubs should be liquidated, going into administration is the easy option in fact it's almost fashionable. Only when several clubs are liquidated might we get some sense back into the game at all levels. I seriously would like to see Portsmouth liquidated as they are so high profile, but they won't be and will limp on before being bought so they can run up more debt and start the whole process again.....

I certainly think that we will come to a point where clubs will be made to operate within their means, their outgoings will be based on a % of incomings/profit etc.

I vote Smudge for busking around the highstreets and collecting money to help these clubs. You've done well with your £5 campaign discobanana.gif

Wattsy it's called charm,but alas it aint worked on you,even though you just had your 1st personal win of 2010.

I agree with everything TRS says, for me though, the root of the problem is there are to many clubs competing for to few supporters, especially at non league level.

I would think the situation is going to get much worse and maybe the only answer is for perhaps two or three. clubs to pool their resources and amalgamate, to form one super club. I know it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many old dinosaurs like me but I have always felt we are just custodians of our clubs, and its our responsibility to hand over those clubs to the next generation in good order.The way things are going, unless we take our blinkers off, it just ain't going to happen.

Too few clubs competing for too few supporters????

Man Utd & Liverpool are well in debt but they have full houses (or very close) for every home game

The problem is that clubs live beyond their means ... pay too much money to too many players

If you can't afford it then don't buy it

Perhaps clubs should be made to pay transfer fees in full up front

I am with TRS in that we need to see some high profile casualties before clubs will change or be forced to change they run

Man Utd & Liverpool are well in debt but they have full houses (or very close) for every home game

The problem is that clubs live beyond their means ... pay too much money to too many players

I am with TRS in that we need to see some high profile casualties before clubs will change or be forced to change they run

I actually said there are to many clubs competing. for to few supporters at non league level.

How many non league club are there that play in nice stadiums, are reasonably successful, and are free of debt.

I actually said there are to many clubs competing. for to few supporters at non league level.

How many non league club are there that play in nice stadiums, are reasonably successful, and are free of debt.

At a guess 2, A.F.C. WIMBLEDON. Merstham f.c.

Edited by Smudge

I agree with everything TRS says, for me though, the root of the problem is there are to many clubs competing for to few supporters, especially at non league level.

I would think the situation is going to get much worse and maybe the only answer is for perhaps two or three. clubs to pool their resources and amalgamate, to form one super club. I know it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many old dinosaurs like me but I have always felt we are just custodians of our clubs, and its our responsibility to hand over those clubs to the next generation in good order.The way things are going, unless we take our blinkers off, it just ain't going to happen.

It doesn't seem to have worked with Hayes and Yeading though. I think they have less fans combined than they had as separate clubs. They've recorded at least one crowd of under 300 in Conference National this season.

It doesn't seem to have worked with Hayes and Yeading though. I think they have less fans combined than they had as separate clubs. They've recorded at least one crowd of under 300 in Conference National this season.

Dagenham and Redbridge, Rushden and Diamonds.????

At a guess 2, A.F.C. WIMBLEDON. Merstham f.c.

I wish AFCW was free of debt! There is some debt on the Kingsmeadow stadium but it is manageable at present. I'm mindful that the club is run well from a financial point of view at the moment, but it may not always be the case in the future.

Dagenham and Redbridge, Rushden and Diamonds.????

Daggers seem to tick over well on smallish gates with an excellent Manager, but I can't say I know too much about their financial state. Not heard anything untoward mind you.

R&D is another kettle of fish, one man's money made them and they suffered as he walked away. They are currently a good side with some good players, but looking at their gates I struggle to see how they afford it....

Sorry, bored at work so just thought I'd start a different topic other than that of people not paying £5 to this site hey Smudge...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chester were wound up in court over a relatively small debt, but the administrators had not been able to sell the club as an on going concern as there was the small sum of 1 millon (or there abouts) owed to the Vaughan family who had run / kill / fooked / shafted the supporters (delete as required) the club and made them a laughing stock.

if chester went bust owing the vaughans a million, the vaughans should be looked at as heroes not villains.

if they pumped in that money and lost it why are they reviled?

incompetent they maybe , why chuck a million at a failing enterprise and lose it.

However there are far too many clubs chasing the same pound coins.

Mole valley DC.

Leatherhead

Dorking

Bookham

Dorking Wanderers

Mole valley sutton cobham rovers (evil.gif)

reigate and banstead bc

redhill

merstham

E+ewell

south park

banstead

do chipstead and whytleafe fall in here?

How many senior clubs can a borough or district council area support?

if chester went bust owing the vaughans a million, the vaughans should be looked at as heroes not villains.

if they pumped in that money and lost it why are they reviled?

I take it that you are not up to speed on the Vaughan 'story' then TSF!

Mole Valley United (or whatever?) - no thanks.