Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ed Milibrand

Blair did what he needed to do in order to get Labour re-elected. Too right-wing? Yes.

Unless you have an overhaul of the electoral system in this country then centre-right politics are always going to dominate.

Moving to the left will make Labour unelectable. Don't agree with it but that's the harsh reality of the situation.

Blair did what he needed to do in order to get Labour re-elected. Too right-wing? Yes.

Unless you have an overhaul of the electoral system in this country then centre-right politics are always going to dominate.

Moving to the left will make Labour unelectable. Don't agree with it but that's the harsh reality of the situation.

IMO what makes Labour unelectable is the fact that their policies are determined by focus groups and not by a conviction to look after the interests of the people it was formed to protect. Whats needed is a leader who the electorate feels they can trust to deliver, and not necessarily a change in the electoral system. 

Not speaking as a Labour supporter, but more just as an observer, I think they have to swing way to the left to re-coup their lost working class votes.

The government of this country is determined by the key marginals -that's where elections are won and lost

You are not going to get a Labour seat in Kensington or a Conservative seat in Dagenham.

As they are marginals, then politically they need to appeal to as broad a spectrum as possible hence the (appalling) focus groups etc. 

Labour veering left will not win those marginals I'm afraid even though we would probably have a fairer society if we did.

Edited by cup of tea

I tend to agree, Cuppa.

That's why I'm positive that Ukip will really go for every marginal seat.

Having said that, Mole Valley, (Dorking/Leatherhead), is rank Conservative, but after Ukip's recent positive showing in the Europeans, etc., they have already said they will field a candidate.

• 3 weeks later...

Who saw Prime Minister's Questions today, Ed Miliband took a real roasting from David Cameron, you have to wonder how long he has got left in the job:

Who saw Prime Minister's Questions today, Ed Miliband took a real roasting from David Cameron, you have to wonder how long he has got left in the job:

A lot longer than Cameron will have in his job. 

Don't think any of the leaders will last particulary long......

...  Except Mr Farage, of course !!

• 2 months later...

So what did we think of Miliband's 65 minute speech yesterday folks at the Labour Party Conference in Manchester, we heard it all before didn't we

So what did we think of Miliband's 65 minute speech yesterday folks at the Labour Party Conference in Manchester, we heard it all before didn't we

I thought it was a masterful speech from our next Prime Minister who will go down in history as the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

In my very humble and aged opinion, there's only one man strong enough to lead this country at this time given whats going on in the rest of the world......  and it ain't one of these three main contenders ......

Cameron.  Fine for those earning over £100,000 a year, and 's0d the rest of you !'

Clegg.  Camerons whipping boy who doesn't now have the support of his electorate or own back-benchers.

Milliband.  Looks like a fish out of water these days, struggling to come up with any half decent ideas.

Edited by Big J R

• 2 weeks later...

I see UKIP secured their first elected MP in Douglas Carswell who won the Clacton by-election yesterday by a huge 12,404 majority over the Tories with Labour a further 5000 votes behind. Now onto Rochester & Strood next month with UKIP odds on to win their second seat in the House of Commons:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786919/Douglas-Carswell-set-make-history-UKIP-s-elected-MP-votes-counted-Clacton-election.html