Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Harry Martin

I am sure that I have several, including when he was presented with his tracksuit at the end of year awards.

problem is finding them, as they will not be marked as including him.

I thought that some people had already contributed towards a collection for a plaque to be put in the memorial garden outside the club house just after Harry died, where has that money gone as I was one of the people that contributed towards it, but if this money no longer exists perhaps the supporters association could pay for something from their funds.

I sadly never knew Harry, but I feel that it should be his friends who decide on the final tribute. Memorial gardens are a nice idea if they are maintained properly but it only takes crisp bags or sweet wrappers and it starts to look a mess or worse still someone disrespects it. Flower beds and plant pots get used as ashtrays and people urinate up trees. Renaming the clubhouse "Harrys Bar" sounds good, though it does sound a bit like a franchise.

A competition in his name would be great, but this would involve a lot of work. Renaming player of year to Harry Martin player the year or introducing a new award in his honour would be good as would the naming of a stand though this may look more like a sponsorship deal the bench idea is good although a bit bland.

I thought maybe name the road from Bridge Avenue to the clubhouse Harry Martin Way. This may need council approval, or name the home dugout as Harry Martins dugout.

Edited by BIG H on the eastside

What about the Harry Martin "supporter of the year", has relevance, don't you think.

"The Harry Martin Way" is a very good idea.

The road in question is only a small lane used only on match days and people walking their dogs. Would the council really care if it gets a name because i dont think it has one at the moment.

"The Harry Martin Way" is a very good idea.

The road in question is only a small lane used only on match days and people walking their dogs. Would the council really care if it gets a name because i dont think it has one at the moment.

Totally Agree. Great idea and a fitting tribute to Harry.

While I agree it woud be nice to leave Harry's mark somewhere and not forgetting his support for the club, there are others who should also be remembered.

Jim Bradshaw our now deceased ex Chairman, when the original clubhouse burnt down, if not for him we would not have a club or clubhouse, is anything named after him

One of our pervious owners, we all know who I mean, at the time he took over the club was heading out of existance, is anything named after him.

Colin and Co, if not for them would we have a club as we know it today.

So before we get carried away with all this emotion, lets think about others, by all means name the Club shop after him or put a plack somewhere.

I await your comments

Dibs

I agree re Jim Bradshaw,while I agree about a certain someone "saving" the club I would not honour them simply because at the same time we did actually lose the club a few years after.

As for those in charge now,i am pretty sure that they wouldn't want anything named after them until their work is complete,hopefully way off in the future

Harry Martin Way.

Jim Bradshaw Bar

Karl Williams Cigarette Machine, well, he always had a cigar.

Lots of people have supported the club over the years.

But, Harry had very little and was willing to surrender his house to save the club..

While I agree it woud be nice to leave Harry's mark somewhere and not forgetting his support for the club, there are others who should also be remembered.

Jim Bradshaw our now deceased ex Chairman, when the original clubhouse burnt down, if not for him we would not have a club or clubhouse, is anything named after him

One of our pervious owners, we all know who I mean, at the time he took over the club was heading out of existance, is anything named after him.

Colin and Co, if not for them would we have a club as we know it today.

So before we get carried away with all this emotion, lets think about others, by all means name the Club shop after him or put a plack somewhere.

I await your comments

Dibs

Whilst you do have a point BB, it has to be pointed out that the fans like my self never knew Jim Bradshaw that well or not at all. . It has to be also pointed out that Colin and Co are still alive and we plenty of time to thank and honour them one way or another as time goes by.

'Arry was one of the back bone , out in all weathers, home or away surpporters. In short, Harry was one of us. That is why his death is still felt deeply by us all and hence the reason for this emontional thread ,comments and ideas.

I'm sure there's people throughtout the years that have made a great contribution over the years like Jim Bradshaw (who I sadly never knew) and for all his faults (lots of them) one of the previous owners (Is it he who must not be named!) did invest into the infrastructure of the club - I don't think we would be in the Ryman Premier now otherwise.

In recent years I think that Harry was really a symbol for the club, Hornchurch was his life and he was willing to give everything he had to support it.

I think someone posted on here that 400+ people turned up for his funeral.

As for Colin, Jimmy etc, I think I've posted my gratitude for them on here before, but the point has been made that they are still very much actively involved with the club and I feel both would want to make a more telling contribution - I believe that both are ambitious for the club - you only have to look at their articles in the matchday programmes to realise that.

There's also a hell of a lot of people over the years that have made a contribution to the club behind the scenes that don't get noticed or acknowledged. As with a lot of non-league clubs, people help out through their love for the club for little or no financial reward.

A tribute for Harry would be nice, one for Jim Bradshaw would be fitting also.

I agree with Bob to a certain extent.Harry was a fans man.

I would personally like to see the Boardroom named after Jim Bradshaw,if we ever built a new boardroom it could be known as the "Jim Bradshaw Memorial Suit"

As for Harry,i do think Harrys bar would have a nice ring to it,i would actually prefer that to the walkway down to the ground but thats just my opinion.

As for "he who shall not be named pmsl" maybe we wouldn't be in the Ryman Prem without him now but i personally feel that at the time there were many people who were willing to help out at the club,to save the club and to move the club forward.4/5 years ago there was money in the area and we had crowds of 4-500 in the ESL which is bigger than pretty much any other club which had been in there for years so i think we would of got out of that league straight away.I actually think that had "he" not come back to the club and a fans club was formed with "hornchurch" people,some who are still at the club,then we may have better support now,many people drifted away from the club 2/3 years ago for whatever reason,had it been a fans club i am not so sure those people would of drifted away so easily.Saying all that,i doubt we would of had jimmy & colin on board,got to the 1st round of the FA Cup,play off against wimbledon etc etc and won the ryman one north the way we did so overall i am glad we are where we are now.

with harry he was there with most of us week in week out home and away games and tbh its never been the same....... everyone together behind the goal with harry in the middle of us all. i was only young at the time but he was a man that all the kids that use to go could look up to about football and win or lose keep singing and never give up....

post-955-0-65432300-1306511810_thumb.jpg

harry martin - the fan's fan.

i don't remember any collection, but can guess where it ended up.

a supporter's club trophy to award to the fan's player of the year would be my pick. certainly better than doing anything to do with the council and dealing with the endless objections from concerned romford fans...