Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ampthill town Fa vase

A brief report from another Forum, Former No.9 got the attendance pretty much spot on:

OADBY TOWN 2-1 AMPTHILL TOWN

FA Vase 4th Round

Admission: £5 / £3

Programme: £1

Attendance: 417

Two first half goals on 11 and 21 minutes put Oadby in control, though in reality they should have put the game to bed in opening period. Ampthill scored on 84 minutes to set up a tense finish but in the end it was nothing more than a consolation goal. The better side on the day progressed and good luck to Ampthill in their quest for promotion.

Not a classic but from an Oadby point of view - who cares. We are into the last 16 and can't wait for Monday's draw. All Oadby's victories in the Vase this season have been by one goal - nothing like keeping the supporters on edge!!!

A brief report from another Forum, Former No.9 got the attendance pretty much spot on:

OADBY TOWN 2-1 AMPTHILL TOWN

FA Vase 4th Round

Admission: £5 / £3

Programme: £1

Attendance: 417

Two first half goals on 11 and 21 minutes put Oadby in control, though in reality they should have put the game to bed in opening period. Ampthill scored on 84 minutes to set up a tense finish but in the end it was nothing more than a consolation goal. The better side on the day progressed and good luck to Ampthill in their quest for promotion.

Not a classic but from an Oadby point of view - who cares. We are into the last 16 and can't wait for Monday's draw. All Oadby's victories in the Vase this season have been by one goal - nothing like keeping the supporters on edge!!!

This report has already been posted! Commiserations to Ampthill and Royston but congrats on good runs and I think Royston will win the league and go onwards and upwards in the Southern league and I think Ampthill will achieve promotion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00mzcpt

If you click 'listen now' and then go to about 33 minutes in there's a pre-match interview with the Oadby Town manager. There's also an interview with the Oadby Town Chairman & Secretary at 45 minutes in. There's also interviews with the Oadby Town choir & Ampthill Town fans. Sounds like the atmosphere was fantastic. There's also a post match Interview with the Oadby Town Manager at 3:44 minutes in who admits that the pitch wasn't the best.

Edited by Winslow Fox

it was a fantastic day out oadby town are a brilliant club they made us feel very welcome us and the fans were looked after all day. .As a club they are leaps and bounds ahead of us . as for the game the first 20 mins we was a total nightmare a few of my players froze in front of the 500 fans, My left back made a mistake which led to the first goal then we made another mistake which led to the 2nd goal, with the strong wind we just could not get out of our half and if it was not for our keeper Tom kennard we could of gone in 4.0 down at the break . After some very very strong words from my self at half time I made a couple of changes we come out 100 times better than we was we just could not get passed there solid defence, with 25 mins left their center half did a leg breaking tackle on Tyrone Taylor which should of been a straight red but only a yellow was shown lol . We then scored with 5 mins to go then went all in and in the last min the ball fell to Danny Nicholls 6 yards out for him to put it over, the pitch was shocking i have never seen anything like it just walking through it i had a ton of mud on my boots, both teams just could not play football . We had a great run i will remember this forever it was just not our day and with there ex pro's running the game they got what they deserved, they was just to good for us . Thanks to all the fans that travelled down we must of had 100plus . I am so proud of the lads getting this far and we have learnt a lot on this fantastic run .

Another report from another Forum:

Oadby 2-1 Ampthill FA Vase Adm £5 Programme £1 Att 417

Another one for the Oadby experience.Set off from Fleetwood with half a dozen games still going round in my mind,ranging from Todmorden,Longridge,Gresley,Darlo to Ambleside in the Lakes but Oadby shaded it today,theres something about the Vase and this level of footy.Must be other 'hopppers' out there who struggle to be decisive when picking a game, we just need more staggered kick offs to sway it one way or the other.

Found the Oadby set up a friendly affair, met Rambler77 before the game who was welcoming, even to the missus...who can talk and talk.The pitch was heavy and the football was never going to be exhibition stuff but Oadby deservedly won, despite the late goal from Ampthill.Fortunately the rain held off except for the occasional heavy shower, on a day when brolleys were rendered almost ineffective by the wind.Radio Leicestershire hosted their sports afternoon from the ground no doubt hoping Oadby could have a Vase run as successful as Coalville (just down the road) had last year.At the final whistle there was personal relief that extra time wasnt required,it wasnt the sort of weather to be away from the car heater any longer than you had to be.Hopefully in time Oadby can whack up a bit of covered terracing as there was only cover for the seated supporters.A friendly bunch, good luck to them with the draw for the next round.

it was a fantastic day out oadby town are a brilliant club they made us feel very welcome us and the fans were looked after all day. .As a club they are leaps and bounds ahead of us . as for the game the first 20 mins we was a total nightmare a few of my players froze in front of the 500 fans, My left back made a mistake which led to the first goal then we made another mistake which led to the 2nd goal, with the strong wind we just could not get out of our half and if it was not for our keeper Tom kennard we could of gone in 4.0 down at the break . After some very very strong words from my self at half time I made a couple of changes we come out 100 times better than we was we just could not get passed there solid defence, with 25 mins left their center half did a leg breaking tackle on Tyrone Taylor which should of been a straight red but only a yellow was shown lol . We then scored with 5 mins to go then went all in and in the last min the ball fell to Danny Nicholls 6 yards out for him to put it over, the pitch was shocking i have never seen anything like it just walking through it i had a ton of mud on my boots, both teams just could not play football . We had a great run i will remember this forever it was just not our day and with there ex pro's running the game they got what they deserved, they was just to good for us . Thanks to all the fans that travelled down we must of had 100plus . I am so proud of the lads getting this far and we have learnt a lot on this fantastic run .

Craig, I know it's hypothetical but i would have fancied our boys on our pitch had we managed a replay, but there you go it was'nt our day.

Great chance Tuesday night on our pitch to get the Oadby game out of our system, Division One Cup Quarter Final v Buckingham Athletic.....Semi Final place up for grabs boys, let's put on a show and keep these Cup runs we are in alive.

Good to hear Tom Kennard is back playing well for someone who has been out of the game so long i thought it would take a while to get back into the swing of things and find his form. And you just know it isnt your day when the ball falls to your striker 6 yards out and he puts it over, 9 times out of 10 Nicholls would put that in the back of the net.

Good to hear Tom Kennard is back playing well for someone who has been out of the game so long i thought it would take a while to get back into the swing of things and find his form. And you just know it isnt your day when the ball falls to your striker 6 yards out and he puts it over, 9 times out of 10 Nicholls would put that in the back of the net.

thats what we all thought bread and butter for him it was just not ment to be . and as for tom i think he is looking even better after his year out he will play a massive part in our promotion fight .

I also believe the biggest price of all from our great run is experience , how can any player get nervous now they would of all learnt a lot from sat , hope the vase run will help us go on a win things this season , bring on the big games this season they will feel like a walk in the park now lol , bring on buck athletic cant wait .

It sounds like the FA Vase run has gone a long way to putting the Club and town on the football map:

http://www.aroundampthill.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6179

Now the dust has settled on Ampthill Town’s excellent FA Vase run, on hindsight the draw at Oadby Town could have been easier, such as Binfield, South Park or Old Woodstock Town, when initially we were all rubbing our hands thinking it could have been a lot worse. I wonder if we had been offered an Ampthill v Royston Town draw we would have grabbed the FA’s arm out of it’s socket as at least one SSML Club would still be in the competition.

on hindsight the draw at Oadby Town could have been easier, such as Binfield, South Park or Old Woodstock Town,

That's the luck of open draws, I'm sure Sir Alex would have preferred an easier passage rather than Man City followed by Liverpool. Good teams win these competitions by overcoming whatever is put in front of them and being the best on the day, unfortunately both Royston and Ampthill were beaten by sides that adapted to the conditions better on the day.

Personally I stand up and salute the achievements by both Royston and Ampthill this season and wish both clubs all the best for the rest of their campaigns. I'm sure that silverware will be proudly displayed by both clubs come the end of the season.

Nice words KB.....I'm sure Royston like us can only reflect on what could have been, but what's done is done now and following Tuesdays win we have 3 semi finals to look forward to and our league campaign.....nothing won yet but better to be involved than not at all at this stage of the season

Ref Off Ref – I’m surprised you didn’t use the infamous cliché ‘in it to win it’