Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

30th/31st August

Ash utd 2 Epsom & Ewell 3.

Another defeat against one of the leagues fancied sides.

Got the perfect start scoring after a min but within a min epsom were level. Soon after epsom had taken the lead & were creating many chance. However on the break ash leveled to go in at halftime all square.

Second half saw epsom put us under alot off pressure & midway into the half they scored what was to be the winning goal. Ash almost snatched a point but the keeper made an excellent stop.

Have to agree aupostie.

I felt Epsom were worth more than 3-2 on the balance of play. We conceded from a corner right at the start but from that point on we were totally in charge and had it not been for our midfielder (who was otherwise excellent) playing a suicide pass to your striker who then equalised, I felt we could have had a few more.

To our credit we kept working in the second half and in the end it was a great cross, great control and a tidy finish to win us the game. We did have two little scares near the end and we will have to learn to put sides away earlier when we have the chances, so that a late goal can't cost us anything.

We are creating quite a bit right now and with Robbie Burns scoring his first of the season now to go with Kyle Hough's eight and Mark Jarman back from holiday, I think we'll start to take more of the chances or next time we may get caught in the last minutes..

Injuries to an entire midfield have had an effect for sure, but personally I think starting with 3 players of 5ft nothing against a big and physical (not dirty) team was poor selection.

Also playing a guy who is a good finisher but not strong enough to play lone striker in exactly that role is also poor selection. We as a team, and certainly Gould as an individual, are simply not suited to a long ball game, which, partocularly with Dennison's huge kicks from goal, we seem to be becoming.

When the 3 small lads were substituted and Gould had more support up front we suddenly became far more competitive.

Ben Harris played another 30 mins yesterday and is obviously getting fitter every time he has a run out. When he, Garstang, Minhas, Dexter and Dean are back fit and well things will look more rosy, but right now we are not playing like real title challengers to my eyes. Top 4 for sure, but there will be bigger, stronger teams who can grind it out better than the team we are playing right now can.

I do of course appreciate that most teams will have an injury crisis at some stage and it generally levels out over the course of the season. However, if we able to field something near our strongest team for the majority of the season and our injury "crisis" doesn't get any worse than it is right now, then I do still see us as potential Champions.

Honest comment Rothers... I was there!

Agree, I've seen Windsor 3 times this season and agree with your opinion that Windsor have become a ''long ball'' team which at times has done well for you but on other occasions it hasn't.  Your keepers kicks really dictates this style of play, as your full backs or centre backs don't look to play as everytime Dennison gets the ball its wallop.  Its a shame really, as I am not too sure that is what the players want or are asked to do especially on the carpet pitch Windsor have, its a travesty !  

9 games played and just 1 defeat and of the previous 8 games 7 have been against what I would consider to be bigger more physical sides so the fact Highmoor were "big and physical" holds no water for me I'm afraid and neither does George playing up front alone as that's how we've lined up in every game this season so far !  As for "poor selection" what is Mick supposed to do when you have so many injuries in the key midfield positions ?  Of course we looked more competitive when we played with what was virtually 4 up front but [a] the opposition were down to 10 men and we were 'all or nothing' at that stage.  Quite simply we had a bad day at the office and I would bet we would have beaten them 99 times out of 100, Saturday just happened to be the 1% against us !

2 deflected goals and a needless penalty is sloppy yes but it doesn't suddenly make us a poor team and if we only lost once in every 9 games for the rest of the season then I'd be a happy man as would be the vast majority of Windsor supporters.  

Could be a blessing in disguise,Cup games are great for the Money,but not so good for Promotion purposes.

I know what you're saying Smudge but clubs at our level can't really afford to forgo the type of prize money the FA Cup offers and it's not like we were going to the Proper Rounds which is when your fixtures start to stack up !

Anyway it's not an issue any longer so we'll just plod on with our physically small and weak long-ball side and see how long we can remain unbeaten in the league. LOL.

Quite simply we had a bad day at the office and I would bet we would have beaten them 99 times out of 100, Saturday just happened to be the 1% against us !

Hmm, I think that's a bit disrespectful to Highmoor. It really wasn't a fluke result.

Yesterdays result doesn't reflect the game at all.  Dorking played far better than they have been and had some great chances.

To be fair, Epsom Athletic started slowly but after they got going they showed their true ability. Tall strong defenders who worked hard and a couple of very promising forwards.

I'm sure Glynn and Steve will get things together very soon, (hopefully !!)

And just as a belated after-thought, I was pleased to be at Meadowbank yesterday, (Sunday), to watch our Ladies pull back from 0-3 down at half-time to gain a point with a 3-3 draw !

That's what you CALL a come-back  !!

Edited by Big J R

I think that is showing quite alot of arrogance Highmoor were missing quite a few players especially centre backs which are away on hols and there first choice left back. Have you considered that it may well be that Highmoor did there home work on windsor and there plan paid off.

And just as a belated after-thought, I was pleased to be at Meadowbank yesterday, (Sunday), to watch our Ladies pull back from 0-3 down at half-time to gain a point with a 3-3 draw !

That's what you CALL a come-back  !!

Should put them in the first team!

Should put them in the first team!

You might very well say that, Carty !!!

I wouldn't possibly DARE comment !!