Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Disappointing

I'm going to go out on a limb here but in this day and age where lots of women, like me, Contribute so much to football, seeing this kind of 'event' makes me very sad. It's just sexist and unnecessary.

Women are not sexual objects and there's no place for this in football IMHO.

There are other ways to have club nights surely?

(I've deliberately not named the club on the post or the photo to prevent a row)post-10631-0-69463700-1380966358_thumb.jpgpost-10631-0-69463700-1380966358_thumb.jpg

There's no 'sexism' at all at Dorking, Lisa.

We run a Ladies team, and they have full use of the club-house as and when they want,

There's no 'sexism' at all at Dorking, Lisa.

We run a Ladies team, and they have full use of the club-house as and when they want,

I was at a Dorking Gentleman's Evening about 25 years ago and even then women were very welcome.

Very. Welcome.

(In my head I'm saying all of the above in my best Peter Griffin voice).

I'm sure Farleigh would be quite happy to be named, as they tweeted it from their club account. Lots of clubs at this level stage 'Gentleman's Evenings', like other events it raises much needed funds. No-one is forced to take part or to attend, so can't see the problem.

Hang on...... Women are involved!! They are the main attraction!!

And I'm quite sure that even though its called a 'Gentlemans Evening', women would also be allowed to attend.

AND  -  putting the boot on the other foot, if you'll pardon the pun........

There would be nothing to stop any club with a Ladies team from holding a ladies hen-night, al-la The Chippendales etc !!

Who knows  !  The mens first-team might even put on a show for them.

Rother- don't really see why it would affect women wanting to get involved in football. It's just an event on club premises (I assume) when the football is not on.  

For sure some women would not be affected by it - others would. Please don't tell me you think no women would be put off from getting involved in their local football set up if they knew that the club was putting on a strip show.

What it does is underline and confirm the perception of the sport being a male dominated preserve. That should be discouraged.

Although they are not my thing, I am not anti strip club joints in the slightest, the exploitation of women issue is not one I particularly struggle with as it's a career choice in the main, but it is totally out of place in football organisations these days.

Edited by Rother

Don't agree with your last point, Rother. As JR says, nothing to stop the ladies organising an evening with male strippers in attendance! There's lots of things that may put people (male or female) off getting involved with their local football club, but that's life. Lisa's entitled to hold the view she does which is perfectly valid, but I think we need to get away from banning anything we don't like or agree with (assuming it's legal!).

I remember when we had a couple at Westfield a season or 2 back and there were women associated with the club setting up for it during the day. I can't see why it should put a woman off unless they're looking to be offended. Get off your soap box and back in the kitchen

In all seriousness I've never considered if it would out women off as I've never seen it have that effect. That being said if it does deter women getting involved then perhaps clubs should consider whether they really wish to stage them. As pointed out they can be a good source of funds and there will always be internal conflict between being a fully inclusive club and trying to raise much needed money

At the end of the day, everyone is their own censor.  If something offends you on television, you can quite easily turn it off.

I'm quite sure Mary Whitehouse got some sort of strange perverse pleasure from watching a programme from beginning to end, then complaining about it.

You are talking about the once in a blue moon type of event that has been bread & butter to non league clubs & fans for decades. As suggested, don't watch what you don't like but stop trying to sanitise football clubs out of all recognition in the pursuit of some PC Utopia that keeps everyone and their nanny happy, because it don't exist. You can't keep everyone happy can you? Don't even try.

Were having a Gentlemen's evening at Virginia Water on Friday 18th October, all ccl members welcome.

2 strippers and a comedian.

Great fund raiser.